welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
kigbariom

Kig's AFA Mentoring Channel

Hey Medics! :medic:

Hopefully you guys are all practicing and learning from the pro tips that cleric and teal gave out on the day of AFA. Unfortunately I couldn't make it because steam was acting up but I can still offer lots of help to new medics out there.

I was in the mumble when you guys were going through the class and it was interesting to hear the differences between my play-style and the other medic mentors in the channel. For example I play slightly more aggressive with my ubersaw. :D

Anyway, to help you guys learn some other key things that I think are important I've created an own3d.tv channel where I will deconstruct some of my demos for learning purposes. They will either highlight some medic tips or some general map strategies and I DO take requests so post them in this thread.

Here's the link with my first video up already: http://www.own3d.tv/kigbariom

Please, if you have specific questions about medic or map strategy ask me and I can get up a demo for you within a day.

Goodluck and remember, pop it don't drop it.

TQ. Will be keeping up to date with your channel!

Kig, I think my medic has actually become worse because of AFA pugs =( During battles taking last I suddenly go suicidal battle medic.

Need some real scrims, but on my current team I'm being asked to play solly/demo.

There's no such thing as getting worse. Never play the blame game. You probably gained experience and know what not to do by playing in AFA. That should be the way you're thinking

What you learn can be adapted into your own gameplay. Don't follow for the sake of following what your mentor tells you to do. Gotta modify those advices and mould it in your own skill set.

is there any route to take on any map, that allows the medic to cover shorter distance when walking to mid during initial roll out?

most of the time if our demoman's and soldier's rollout is impressive, they leave me without heal buddies for around that 3-4 seconds which obviously means slower charging, and im trying my best to catch up but i always get left behind :<

tl;dr, surefire shortcuts during rollout(pls take gran as example if you can)

tyvm in advance =3

is there any route to take on any map' date=' that allows the medic to cover shorter distance when walking to mid during initial roll out?

most of the time if our demoman's and soldier's rollout is impressive, they leave me without heal buddies for around that 3-4 seconds which obviously means slower charging, and im trying my best to catch up but i always get left behind :<

tl;dr, surefire shortcuts during rollout(pls take gran as example if you can)

tyvm in advance =3

[/quote']

Well, because the medic doesn't have any real way of increasing his mobility it is actually the soldier's responsibility to stay with you and continue the heals. You should communicate with the soldier so that it won't happen again. I will go over the rollout for granary soon :D

TQ. Will be keeping up to date with your channel!

Kig' date=' I think my medic has actually become worse because of AFA pugs =( During battles taking last I suddenly go suicidal battle medic.

Need some real scrims, but on my current team I'm being asked to play solly/demo.

[/quote']

Like brandon said you can't really get worse, medic can be frustrating. Just keep in mind that you should always be thinking ahead and concentrating on your next move. Remember that if you make a mistake you should learn from it and make sure you never make it again. That's one of the best tips I can give.

Priority List:

Demo to full health

Roaming Soldier to full health

Scouts to full health

Pocket Soldier to full health

Roaming Soldier buffed

Demo buffed

Scouts buffed

Pocket Soldier buffed

That should be your priority list. Obviously these players should be near you, you don't have to follow it strictly but it is most important to get your demo back to full health first.

You don't need to run around to heal people, let them come to you. It is important to have everyone at least full health before a push so take your time. A good coordinated push is better than rushing it and dying.

Priority List:

Demo to full health

Roaming Soldier to full health

Scouts to full health

Pocket Soldier to full health

Roaming Soldier buffed

Demo buffed

Scouts buffed

Pocket Soldier buffed

That should be your priority list. Obviously these players should be near you' date=' you don't have to follow it strictly but it is most important to get your demo back to full health first.

You don't need to run around to heal people, let them come to you. It is important to have everyone at least full health before a push so take your time. A good coordinated push is better than rushing it and dying.

[/quote']

Just want to add that if your heavies aren't actively fighting of chasing down enemies, let's say just after winning midpoint and trying to cap it, you might want to buff the scouts quite early, even if your heavy classes don't have full hp.

Yeah, its important to be able to take a look at the situation and decide who needs to be buffed first. Cleric is absolutely right, you should buff the scouts because they run off and cover flanks as soon as the fight is over.

Think about each and every situation specifically and make that call. I've seen plenty of fights and situations won because a medic decides early who and when is going to get healed (even if it's against a traditional "order") and who will be left to die, leaving his team with better health and thus better able to hold advantage/defend disadvantage.

Every situation is different too - so if you're going to leave your demo to two scouts and keep your soldier healed because you know you've won this fight with uber advantage IF you live and you can risk a demo death, say it!

Just went through my first internal, fucked up big time.

Questions:

- What is the optimal distance away from your heal target, and if a heal target is caught in heavy fire, to save or not to save?

-If all teammates are down, what to do? Head back to base or wait for backup?

-Pocket is down, will the roaming replace the pocket? Or should I retreat and wait for the pocket?

-What constitutes as too "aggressive", and how do I get out of this bad habit?

-In large open areas, e.g Badlands mid and badlands greybridge, what is the usual order of business? Especially if the pocket and the roaming have gone up to cap the spire, where do I go?

-Aggro players, stick with or ditch?

-During rollout, how do you get to healing people on time when they launch themselves too far off to heal?

Heal to full health, or buff?

Who to heal, who to buff?

That's more or less as much as I can remember about my disastrous healing issues.

I'mma try to give some opinions. Others can disagree if you think my way is wrong.

Questions:

- What is the optimal distance away from your heal target, and if a heal target is caught in heavy fire, to save or not to save?

stay as close if not in danger. stay a bit further when your target is getting spam. if the heavy fire involves you in the vicinity, fall back if you know that dude is going to die. your uber advantage is more important.

-If all teammates are down, what to do? Head back to base or wait for backup?

run back to the nearest spawn point. your safety and uber advantage impt again

-Pocket is down, will the roaming replace the pocket? Or should I retreat and wait for the pocket?

to be honest, it depends on the situation. sometimes i would stick to the demoman first if he is not going offensive. sometimes if the roamer decides that him doing his job at the moment is too risky, stick to him. it is hard to explain really. basically you have to heal from the safest distance away from the front line.

-What constitutes as too "aggressive", and how do I get out of this bad habit?

aggressive to me = going combat medic when your teammates are alive and around you. going combat medic when you're the last one alive and there's a possibility of escaping. moving in front of your heal target when you should let them tank for you/check the front line for you.

how to get out of this? keep reminding yourself. your safety is the most important. if and only if you know you're screwed, then go all guns blazing.

-In large open areas, e.g Badlands mid and badlands greybridge, what is the usual order of business? Especially if the pocket and the roaming have gone up to cap the spire, where do I go?

imo, go along the safest path.

badlands mid, stick behind the train thingy and heal everyone. push with the team when they're pushing. avoid spam and dodge.

badlands greybridge, i usually avoid this path unless i know the front is totally clear if on offensive. if on defensive, avoid standing around that area. prone to backstabs.

badlands spire, if both sollies are capping, i'll run along the bottom of the spire at the corner so that both sollies can give height coverage and wait for them to cap.

-Aggro players, stick with or ditch?

ditch like a boss unless you're at a total advantage

-During rollout, how do you get to healing people on time when they launch themselves too far off to heal?

Heal to full health, or buff?

Who to heal, who to buff?

if the people you intend to heal in your order goes too far, go down the next healing priority till you meet up with him again.

best case scenario is if the sollies/demos reaches mid with some buff. full buff for all 3 are usually a rarity. spread the love and ensure everyone is adequately buffed (not necessarily to full). this is in the case that your solly/demo is your main force in your rollout.

if your scouts are involved in flanking greatly, take a bit of time to buff your scouts a little. but don't forget your demoman no matter what

I think something really informative would be for me to put up a whole demo with full commentary so you guys can learn the thought process.

Keep in mind though, you don't need to have my style of playing medic, there are many more reliable and better ways than I play. This is merely to give you some ideas of how the game should be played.

I think something really informative would be for me to put up a whole demo with full commentary so you guys can learn the thought process.

Keep in mind though' date=' you don't need to have my style of playing medic, there are many more reliable and better ways than I play. This is merely to give you some ideas of how the game should be played.

[/quote']

something like mge, no?

Yeah I lot like MGE. The only difference is that I wouldn't give away anything from Kig's top secret tactic book. It would just be basic things, I'm afraid people will plagiarize my gravel pit and badlands strats if I reveal too much.

Sign in to follow this