Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
natapon

Tech AMA

Hi nata,

Do you recommend OCing?

desktop: yes, who doesn't want 'free' performance? you just gotta know the optimal balance of voltage/heat to performance gains.

laptop: no

desktop: yes, who doesn't want 'free' performance? you just gotta know the optimal balance of voltage/heat to performance gains. laptop: no

or you can do what i do, just ramp the voltage up until you see stars, then ramp it down to the sweet spot before your game went supernova

do you recommend overclocking the cpu?

will one wrong step fry my chip?

do you recommend overclocking the cpu?

will one wrong step fry my chip?

sure thing. too much voltage will fry the chip. know your chip's safe limits and typical yield when ocing. there are plenty of results online to refer from. every chip has a certain sweetspot.

Thanks nata,

Just wondering where I can go about tinkering with a) my mobo and maybe later on, B) my GPU. You've invaded my "personal" computer after all... Know any website I can go to get me up to speed on where I should tinker with the options?

My laptop has been overheating really bad lately, like the base gets incredibly hot when I just start it up. Im used to use a fan to cool it down but this method doesn't seem to cut it now. Sometimes it overseas so much that my laptop shuts down or get a blue screen. Not really sure Wat to do. Thank in advance

My laptop has been overheating really bad lately, like the base gets incredibly hot when I just start it up. Im used to use a fan to cool it down but this method doesn't seem to cut it now. Sometimes it overseas so much that my laptop shuts down or get a blue screen. Not really sure Wat to do. Thank in advance

Could you explain what you mean by overseas so much? In my own experience, that shutting down is due to overheating. You gotta clear out the dust from the ventilation panels, prop one end up on something so that it is elevated and air can flow under as I've told you before? And on the final note, if you can, try to switch to a desktop. I've done what you've done so many times that I fried my graphics card on my laptop twice (first one was a free replacement due to warranty).

xoom is right, it's guaranteed to be dust. Get a medium sized, sort of stiff brush and a can of compressed air or a small football/basketball pump. First brush out all the dust, then use the pump to clear it.

fan blowing air at it is going to cause it to clog up with dust. the ventilation in laptops are already tiny enough. where you put your laptop when you use it matters too.

Requesting tips on underclocking HD6970 to make it stable + increase fan speed.

I have no experience outside of nvidia cards so I could use any information you have; program names, benchmarks etc. Willing to dabble in BIOS but prefer applications on the OS layer.

Requesting tips on underclocking HD6970 to make it stable + increase fan speed.

I have no experience outside of nvidia cards so I could use any information you have; program names, benchmarks etc. Willing to dabble in BIOS but prefer applications on the OS layer.

not a user of ati cards myself yet but i think u can set profiles in the drivers per game etc.

make sure the card is not dusty, the gpu temps only tell one side of the story so increasing fan speed might not help. check for dust stuck near the vrm areas as they get pretty damn hot too.

is it recommendable to use your mom's hair dryer on highspeed-coldtemp to rid computer of dust?

if you want the dust all over the place, yes. else no, vacuum the exterior of the casing to get rid of whatever dust you can without opening the casing. can of compressed air would be better than hair dryer at dislodging stubborn pieces of dust, but i vacuum anyway, carefully.

Sign in to follow this