This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Otuzi

Lower level pug?

as emir said' date='

the lower-levelled players should decide on their own when to transit to the vet pugs.

if they get flamed at during the vet pugs,

i think they should know what to do.

alternatively, they can sit in some vet pugs and just watch and learn.

i guess.

[/quote']

they don't get picked, its alright if you don't pick a vet but should always pick the newbies, helps the community grow.

retarded people stack and attempt to make sure the newbies aren't picked and thats why we have a dead community. ^_^

as emir said' date='

the lower-levelled players should decide on their own when to transit to the vet pugs.

i guess.

[/quote']

they don't get picked, its alright if you don't pick a vet but should always pick the newbies, helps the community grow.

retarded people stack and attempt to make sure the newbies aren't picked and thats why we have a dead community. ^_^

and newbies don't attempt to captain to learn.

everyone's gotta start somewhere.

i.e. man up and allow the newbies the chance to blame. doesn't matter if the oldbies troll/flame your choice, what matter most is that you made the right choice. but of course don't be a dick when you do it, be polite.

as emir said' date='

i guess.

[/quote']

why would they cap? so they get flamed due to the shitty teams they picked?

so why do they get flamed? simple. oldbies have no patience with newbies. oldbies just wanna have some fun. oldbies get no fun when they lose. they whine/complain/bitch cause they get no fun. newbies get scared cause they get flamed for doing something they're new to. they QQ.

so i.e. oldbies be patient and things will pick up eventually. if you want fun, go pub servers rape f2pers (16 servers!), go fap to some cybergirl or meet the real bitch called reality.

Ch3rry I'm about to be as direct as I can here.

Not all newbies are retarded pussies. If they decide to venture out of the safe, moronic confines of a public game and step into the competitive arena I reckon they should be prepared to either get stomped on certain occasions or get scolded/flamed at.

For the newbies whose hearts break at the slightest hint of a huge outburst by one of our veteran players, an as such choose to quit comp tf2, well, good riddance.

For those, however, who are willing to learn from criticisms aplenty, and have the balls to continue playing, then congrats, you're on the right track to being decent. And by decent you're probably better than half the people here anyways.

You can choose to look at it this way, you're a fresh grad, you get a job at this firm, I don't think you would expect to be babysat all the way forever, can you? You'd be scolded. A lot. You learn from your mistakes. If you quit, then it's your problem isn't it? The mistake is undeniably yours. So suck it up and learn.

Same thing for pugs. If you would expect everyone and anyone to be nice and cheery and welcoming to the newbies, let me show you the way to utopia. There will be someone who scolds, flames or trolls.

That being said, trolls are bad. Ironic isn't it? If you troll someone just because they are new and not offer any constructive feedback, then fuck off. If you highlight their mistakes and they learn, well that's a good start. If they don't, it's their problem once again.

It's the interweb. Nobody is gonna come at you IRL with a gun just because you suck online. So grow some balls, disregard that ego, don't quit the moment you're flamed at, learn from the nicer, and learn from those who actually know what they're doing.

Chances are if someone tells you the fastest way to improve is via aim training and MGE and the like, say "idiot" and delete friend.

Yeah i guess letting newbies 'graduate' themselves at their own peril is good. But as you pointed out thats slightly idealistic - there are bound to be trolls, people who genuinely believe they are good, or people who are clueless about this system. Dont need 3 references, maybe just 1 person's vouch is enough. We can create a list on AFL, which a newb has to 'apply' to be on, and needs one confirmation from an oldbie to be on. Not too hard/formal i think. Can create just a forum thread for t hem to get 'registered' on and get 'confirmation' for? This will already filter out all th e noobs who cant even be botherd to visit the website, as well as increase exposure of the website. So just a "VISIT AFL TO APPLY TO PLAY ON PUG SERVER 20" msg in the noob server should be good.

Why not just make it clear in the MOTD/rules that new/unknown players are less likely to get picked, are more likely to get raged at, will probably get stomped on and scolded? That way the people who feel they arent quite up to it (arent daring enough) will naturally filter themselves down, and the ones with any determination should be able to stay and learn (these are the only ones with any chance anyway).

i think flare's ideas are good, and probably the most implementable i've seen in this thread. hopefully we should be able to do this around the conclusion of TF2 Masters.

as emir said' date='

i guess.

[/quote']

why would they cap? so they get flamed due to the shitty teams they picked?

+ raged at when they fail at medic

yeah. lols. now i really really want the lower level pug server. i got kicked for not playing my job(medic)[my fault really.. lost a few ubers here and there cause cant dodge well]. i dont even play that class! ._. they didnt even tell me to spec so someone can sub me. they just kick. wtf la. :(

okay im raging. Sian. soz.

yeah. lols. now i really really want the lower level pug server. i got kicked for not playing my job(medic)[my fault really.. lost a few ubers here and there cause cant dodge well]. i dont even play that class! ._. they didnt even tell me to spec so someone can sub me. they just kick. wtf la. :(

okay im raging. Sian. soz.

Checked team chat yet?

erm.. i didnt med properly i guess. i didnt off class. no one told me about subbing me. they called someone in. so i went to spec cause i know im not doing a very good job. then i got kicked.

Oo. found out who started the vote to kick me. not gonna say. dun wanna sound like a raging kid. ><

you were treated no differently from how anyone else would have been treated.

if i played demo and failed, then went to spec without caling for a sub or apologising to my team i would be kicked too.

instead of going to spec (appearing like you were RQing), it would have been better if you asked your team for help/advise stating that you were new and wanted to learn.

it is very hard to not get angry if you 1) have waited some time to get a chance to play 2) dont have much time to play tf2 in the first place and 3) have your game ruined without knowing the reason why.

you need to be able to think from the mentality of some of the old players as well. not all of us miraculously started good, many of the 'newer' oldbies have played pubs for hours (if not hundreds of hours) before even attempting to play a pug.

there is only so much you can expect 5 other players (11 actually, since the other team just rolls over your team in 10 minutes) wanting a good game to tolerate your newness. many dont rage if you arent an awesome player (not many are that good anyway), but everyone will if they know you havent even played enough to at least be aware of what to do. i suppose a more caring person would kindly ask you to leave and play more pubs first to gain what is in essence utterly basic skills/knowledge, but kicking you gets the game moving faster, so try to understand that as well.

you were treated no differently from how anyone else would have been treated.

if i played demo and failed' date=' then went to spec without caling for a sub or apologising to my team i would be kicked too.

instead of going to spec (appearing like you were RQing), it would have been better if you asked your team for help/advise stating that you were new and wanted to learn.

it is very hard to not get angry if you 1) have waited some time to get a chance to play 2) dont have much time to play tf2 in the first place and 3) have your game ruined without knowing the reason why.

you need to be able to think from the mentality of some of the old players as well. not all of us miraculously started good, many of the 'newer' oldbies have played pubs for hours (if not hundreds of hours) before even attempting to play a pug.

there is only so much you can expect 5 other players (11 actually, since the other team just rolls over your team in 10 minutes) wanting a good game to tolerate your newness. many dont rage if you arent an awesome player (not many are that good anyway), but everyone will if they know you havent even played enough to at least be aware of what to do. i suppose a more caring person would kindly ask you to leave and play more pubs first to gain what is in essence utterly basic skills/knowledge, but kicking you gets the game moving faster, so try to understand that as well.

[/quote']

Personally, I feel that the old captaining system encouraged a higher level of play. Many times, newbies don't know about when to join spectator and end up as the captain. They screw up and get rolled. We could always blame newbies for not reading the rules so they deserve to captain but sometimes it just makes for a pointless one-sided game when a medic drops over 9000 ubers. Everyone who isn't a career medic want to get kills and stuff so usually no one switches to medic to replace the newbie.

TL;DR I know there are those times when career medics volunteer to medic but I think when people volunteer to medic, theres a higher level of play instead of pushing it to clueless newbies.

But with the old capping system there was always the problem of nobody wanting to med. I still remember times when i had to med 3 ~ 4 maps in a row because nobody would bother volunteering, and once they see that the classes they wanted to play in red and blu are taken up they'd leave the server :/

And i was in the pug Otuzi got kicked from and i didn't understand what was going on. He didn't even join spec, he just got kicked from the game because i think he wasn't playing up to others expectations. It was real bad treatment lol

And i was in the pug Otuzi got kicked from and i didn't understand what was going on. He didn't even join spec' date=' he just got kicked from the game because i think he wasn't playing up to others expectations. It was real bad treatment lol

[/quote']

Is that even allowed?

well we have the !sm_votemenu system enabled, but just because we have the privilege of using it doesn't mean we can randomly abuse the system..

yeah.. i didnt call for sub, thats true. but what happened was that they knew(so did i) that i wasnt playing that well. they told me what to do, and i tried my best. but after the 3rd round, they called cv in, and he just joined the team. they didnt bother telling me to go to spec so someone else could sub me. they just called him in then kicked me :/

if lower level pugs are created, we probably need puubers/pubstars as ambassadors to introduce the scene to newbies. its easier for pubbers to explain the rules and be patient with other pubbers compared to puggers (or whatever admins etc) to introduce newbies to the scene and make them few comfortable about playing in pugs at the same time.