This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Gee

Asia's Differences

I've been involved in the Asian competitive scene for just a short while, playing with NFR and nnta's friends and associates. During this period of time, I have encountered many differences between Asia's competitive scene in how the game is approached, how the community acts on the forums, in scrims and just about every aspect associated with playing with TF2.

I thought I might list a few and see what community feedback on the whys behind them.

- Teams will start scrims with only three players and wait for the rest to come on or field sluts.

- Teams will gather in steam chat prior to playing, where as a captain will contact the players one on one to get into mumble/vent/ts3 in Australia.

- You are all extremely tolerant of late players/teams

- Most of you don't post on the forums, but lurk and aren't terribly vocal.

- The community is centred around pugging, rather than scrimming and team play.

- Teams play with huge language barriers in their teams.

- Very little thinking even in the top level of your teams, it seems to be heavily dependant on death matching.

- Much friendlier attitude overall as a community

- Huge variation in pings due to routing and server location in your community, that isn't experienced anywhere else. Except europe, but isn't as bad as yours, due to it all being land connections.

Many of these points that you have pointed out are actually quite exclusive to NFR. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to NFR, but maybe I'll point out a few reasons why...

Also, it is off season at the moment, which means there are no concrete teams. Usually, for the past 1 year at least, teams will only start to form 1 month before the start of a major tournament. The rest of the time, we have "mix scrims" instead. So your experience is also partly true of a typical off-season Asia scene.

I've been involved in the Asian competitive scene for just a short while' date=' playing with NFR and nnta's friends and associates. During this period of time, I have encountered many differences between Asia's competitive scene in how the game is approached, how the community acts on the forums, in scrims and just about every aspect associated with playing with TF2.

I thought I might list a few and see what community feedback on the whys behind them.

- Teams will start scrims with only three players and wait for the rest to come on or field sluts.

[b']Not the teams that I have played with. There aren't really proper teams at the moment, so there aren't sluts. We are all sluts.[/b]

- Teams will gather in steam chat prior to playing, where as a captain will contact the players one on one to get into mumble/vent/ts3 in Australia.

So far, for the 2 years that I have played in Asia. Only during mix scrims do people gather in steam chat prior to playing. When I'm in a proper team during the Asiafortress season, I would notify members of scrims, or whoever the leader is, would.

- You are all extremely tolerant of late players/teams

I think NFR have quite the reputation of making people wait before scrims. HAHA. Seriously! Most of us don't mind because it is difficult to get teams to scrim these days! We don't have a choice! During AFL seasons, there would be average of at least 3 to 4 teams scrimming actively. Now... there are barely scrims on a daily basis.

- Most of you don't post on the forums, but lurk and aren't terribly vocal.

I agree!

- The community is centred around pugging, rather than scrimming and team play.

Again, that is just because it's off season. Most people that are schooling or working won't be able to commit 2 to 3 days a week for scrimming. Many players also play other games..

- Teams play with huge language barriers in their teams.

Again, NFR is known for their.. umm.. multi racial, multi lingual team for quite some time now. Most of the teams I've been in, everyone speaks at least basic English, albeit in different strange accents. There are also some teams that speak only Mandarin, Japanese, Korean etc.

- Very little thinking even in the top level of your teams, it seems to be heavily dependant on death matching.

Only probably... 3 or 4 teams in Asia have players that are serious about learning new strats, studying and trying out what works for their teams and what doesn't. As I mentioned above, there aren't many dedicated competitive TF2 players around anymore...

- Much friendlier attitude overall as a community

- Huge variation in pings due to routing and server location in your community, that isn't experienced anywhere else. Except europe, but isn't as bad as yours, due to it all being land connections.

you're all wrong, the community here are filled with weak cunts

can't take a comment or criticism without being personal about it

everything is personal in this joint

Weak cunts, troll cunts, weirdasses with mixed priorities cunts, gossip cunts

oh and fat cunts like hcaz. loose sum wait fet boi. dim sum ho hum

tl;dr

Community with teams that only "operate" properly in the offseason is doomed to fail. Proper teams need to last longer than a season and need 6-8 players on the same page, agreeing about their approach to the game ... which is nigh impossible with a shrinking player base.

tl;dr x 10 ^ 10

blame spammah

Also; you might want to add another note:

People who only seem to give a fuck when it suits them :(. I didn't know how to type that without sounding petty but it sucks to see whatever I've done for Season 2 for 3 months was for nothing in the end :(. Aaaaaah.

I'll go kill myself now.

Long-standing commitments to the community don't seem to get enough love here too, I guess. For better or worse in the end, people who care a lot and sacrifice their time deserve comparable respect.

but who fucks a give, I'm a little girl with red hair

actually i think asian teams are ok, but sg teams are in particular are ...

teams need to stop disbanding. "People who only seem to give a fuck when it suits them ." - is true. Few sg teams are motivated enough to work and try to beat the better teams on top of the tables. Watching the streams of the middle players in masters, its quite sad to see teams fold 5-0 5-0 in like 10 minutes playing 100x worse than they are capable of.

tbh i think the main problem is really the small player base? this way (eg masters 10 teams GG) all the teams have to be lumped in 1 division to compete (look at the skill differences between the last and first teams in masters!!!!) which is really demoralising for the middle to low teams.

If we had more players mid teams could compete against other mid teams in a legitimate fashion and feel some achievement if they top their mid table!

I kind of stopped playing after my laptop blew up (Yes, it did.), but watching my team fold after some members gave up was disheartening. There were the really serious members, and the few that started to stop giving a damn after it was apparent that winning was near impossible. I think the main issue is with how people prioritise such things, "People who only seem to give a fuck when it suits them" is a statement that couldn't be truer. When people stop trying altogether, they stop learning. And while I agree with Flare's last statement, I feel that this time's masters was a good eye opener for most of us pubbers. It made members of my team work harder than they ever did, made them re-evaluate play attitudes, and some even held practice sessions among themselves. So even though some members stopped giving two shits and fucked the team, it made some of us motivated enough to want to work towards getting a decent level of play, even if we're not good enough.

Well, just my 2 cents' worth.

I do think that the tone towards the newbies can be worked upon, though.

I kind of stopped playing after my laptop blew up (Yes' date=' it did.), but watching my team fold after some members gave up was disheartening. There were the really serious members, and the few that started to stop giving a damn after it was apparent that winning was near impossible. I think the main issue is with how people prioritise such things, "People who only seem to give a fuck when it suits them" is a statement that couldn't be truer. When people stop trying altogether, they stop learning. And while I agree with Flare's last statement, I feel that this time's masters was a good eye opener for most of us pubbers. It made members of my team work harder than they ever did, made them re-evaluate play attitudes, and some even held practice sessions among themselves. So even though some members stopped giving two shits and fucked the team, it made some of us motivated enough to want to work towards getting a decent level of play, even if we're not good enough.

[/quote']

its good that the rest of you remain motivated while some of them have decided to fuck the team. replace them with players of better mentality and keep pushing forward. the problem is always in the mind.

I've been trying to get some of my vietnamese fellow tf2ers into comp tf2 for a while now, they seem to take great interest in it and some of them now have been asking me to take them into pugs/scrims whatever.

i think its primarily the extremely huge difference between comp and pub tf2 thats deterring the community, and spammah because of his extremely sexy voice

and maybe the hostility from all the oldfags in pugs and such, but the oldfags are not to blame. i don't really get mad much but some pub players outright refuse to listen to the people in the pugs and just go tomislav heavy and get votekicked

again im just a scout in a middle masters team ( MiA ) who doesnt play much anymore due to school, what would i know

yea, new players are afraid they cant compete with your sexy voice in marmble and thus people would not listen to them and their calls and just listens to your voice

I kind of stopped playing after my laptop blew up (Yes' date=' it did.), but watching my team fold after some members gave up was disheartening. There were the really serious members, and the few that started to stop giving a damn after it was apparent that winning was near impossible. I think the main issue is with how people prioritise such things, "People who only seem to give a fuck when it suits them" is a statement that couldn't be truer. When people stop trying altogether, they stop learning. And while I agree with Flare's last statement, I feel that this time's masters was a good eye opener for most of us pubbers. It made members of my team work harder than they ever did, made them re-evaluate play attitudes, and some even held practice sessions among themselves. So even though some members stopped giving two shits and fucked the team, it made some of us motivated enough to want to work towards getting a decent level of play, even if we're not good enough.

[/quote']

its good that the rest of you remain motivated while some of them have decided to fuck the team. replace them with players of better mentality and keep pushing forward. the problem is always in the mind.

replace how?, imo

most of the players out there are f2p's who are likely to hop games once the rad dies out.

then there are the people who rather stay in pubs

and the people in active or half/completely dead teams

not to mention players who are too good for teams to invite, these players are rare anyways

im stuck in this predicament and it sucks :S

well its like a cycle, people who were treated with respect and plays the game afterwards become nice people. people who were treated like they dont belong here often becomes the monster themselves.

see dota

well its like a cycle' date=' people who were treated with respect and plays the game afterwards become nice people. people who were treated like they dont belong here often becomes the monster themselves.

see dota

[/quote']

imagine if warcraft 3 allowed in game voip :D

anyways, the community here cant be that bad....amirite?

well then i shall reiterate

well its like a cycle, most people who were treated with respect and plays the game afterwards become nice people. most people who were treated like they dont belong here often becomes the monster themselves.

but does not apply to all

see dota

idk about the korean community and shit, but the sg community is full of racist fags which is why we have a dead community. cya