This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
natapon

AsiaFortress Academy 3 Ask-Us-Anything thread.

Hi is it possible to have a sniper on a 6's team instead of a roamer? The rest of the team will be playing the default cookie-cutter set-up. Also, that sniper is a some kind of an aimbot. We can adjust the team's playing style and strategies accordingly.

Hi is it possible to have a sniper on a 6's team instead of a roamer? The rest of the team will be playing the default cookie-cutter set-up. Also, that sniper is a some kind of an aimbot. We can adjust the team's playing style and strategies accordingly.

Yes, you can have a sniper instead of a roamer. Having one 100% of the time instead of a roamer won't work, though. You can certainly try, but it won't work as much as you think it might.

• Like 1

Hey,I want to sign up so I can get better.Can you please tell me how can I sign up.

ok, i want to join afa BUT i have 0 idea as to how. the registration thread is closed, so how do i do it?

Search for Asiafortress Academy 3 mentor group(On steam) and add an admin and ask for an invite.

I can't do the second jump as demo on badlands.I saw the b4nny video but it's just impossible.I can do it for like 1 out of 50 times and mostly I get stuck at the overhanging which has has a sign board on it......

I can't do the second jump as demo on badlands.I saw the b4nny video but it's just impossible.I can do it for like 1 out of 50 times and mostly I get stuck at the overhanging which has has a sign board on it......

The trick is proper sticky placement, timing and the way you do the crouch jump. The timing for detonation and the jump is basically set in stone, and you have very little room for error. It has to be a quick, short jump and you must not detonate too soon(because you won't have traveled very far from the sticky) or you'll fly over the first set of stairs and hit the top. Detonating too late(you'll have traveled pretty far from the sticky) will cause you to slide up the first flight of stairs and hit the top.

I'd recommend experimenting with sticky placement first, and seeing which position(put the sticky towards the back, or in line with the stairs, etc) gives you the best results. It's also, important to do the second jump as part of the first, and not just keep repeating it separate from the normal rollout.

Bind keys to "mp_restartgame 1" and "hurtme -85", create a new game and set sv_cheats to 1. Use the key bound to "hurtme -85" to give yourself overheal. Once before the first jump, and again before the jump out of spawn. Use the restartgame key to reset the game(timer, cap points, everything) when you fail.

The trick is proper sticky placement, timing and the way you do the crouch jump. The timing for detonation and the jump is basically set in stone, and you have very little room for error. It has to be a quick, short jump and you must not detonate too soon(because you won't have traveled very far from the sticky) or you'll fly over the first set of stairs and hit the top. Detonating too late(you'll have traveled pretty far from the sticky) will cause you to slide up the first flight of stairs and hit the top.

I'd recommend experimenting with sticky placement first, and seeing which position(put the sticky towards the back, or in line with the stairs, etc) gives you the best results. It's also, important to do the second jump as part of the first, and not just keep repeating it separate from the normal rollout.

Bind keys to "mp_restartgame 1" and "hurtme -85", create a new game and set sv_cheats to 1. Use the key bound to "hurtme -85" to give yourself overheal. Once before the first jump, and again before the jump out of spawn. Use the restartgame key to reset the game(timer, cap points, everything) when you fail.

I'll try working on my sticky placement and let you know.

Thanks

I know that I'm not part of afa but I got a question. I'm aware that heavy, sniper,pyro,engineer and spy are all utility classes in a 6s game as they are quite situational. Regarding spy and sniper, they are mostly used when wanting to pick off a key target, especially when the sniper's/spy's team are at a disadvantage. I'm just wondering if either of the utility class is more viable than the other in certain situations.

This might seem a stupid question, but since im new to afa, and wanted to train as scou (i.e. can change to utility classes if needed), im wondering will utility classes be taught in afa.... like when to use sniper, engi, spy etc. and the basic concept when playing such utility classes in 6s.

I asked this question as most ppl from afl are against offclassing, but i think suitable offclassing will cause great advantage to a certain team. Will AFA include such stuff?

I might be too farsighted, but do members of afa have the chance of changing class (e.g. scout to roamer) in a certain afa season? It seems the afa rules are strict about staying in one class, and learning the other by myself, but recently when i asked some people, they said that changing classes is allowed if the afa admin allowed to do so (no quotes to avoid flaming about whoever said it). On what conditions will such admins allow this act?

I know that I'm not part of afa but I got a question. I'm aware that heavy, sniper,pyro,engineer and spy are all utility classes in a 6s game as they are quite situational. Regarding spy and sniper, they are mostly used when wanting to pick off a key target, especially when the sniper's/spy's team are at a disadvantage. I'm just wondering if either of the utility class is more viable than the other in certain situations.

i'm gonna attempt to answer your query and i might be wrong, so someone good might wanna correct me if i am.

generally we term the sniper and spy as "pick classes", and as the term suggests, we run them for a much-needed pick in certain scenarios (holding with uber disadvantage would be the most common one).

the main difference between the two (as far as i am concerned) is that the sniper, unlike the spy, can perform the pick from a distance, whereas running a spy comes with a relatively higher risk than that of the sniper.

most teams would choose to run a sniper when defending last at the spawn-shutters (map dependent; granary last, snakewater last, gullywash last, badlands last) just to get a possible early pick as the offensive team ubers through the door (might not be able to multi-uber in time). when i played scout/util for RNR in afl5 i used to run sniper alot on last defense. positioning myself at spawn shutters would mean i get to swap classes easily and quickly if i need to (to heavy for further defense / scout to cleanup/push).

of course teams can opt to run a sniper on last point pushes as well, turtling till the sniper gets a pick before pushing in.

now most teams would run spies on either one of two occasions (i used to at least);

1. pushing last with uber vs uber, and suicides (sending roam soldier in to force med pop) have not been going too well and we want to shake things up a bit.

2. the game has slowed down alot and there is a snooze-fest where both teams cannot decide if they should attack/defend and i go spy to break the hideousness which is the match.

thing about spy is that you generally want to run it sparingly, when teams least expect it. however that being said, some of the players in the community are known for being excellent spies, and so it becomes pretty damn obvious when they switch to spy and teams will become more alert. most players fail to realise that there is not just one pick class but two, and switching between the two from time to time will more often than not get you better results than just playing sniper all the way, and having the opposing team expect it and spam you down.

now before you go on and say "wow pick classes are awesome i'll run them all the time on every last defense/push", think again. you will find that running an utility class in place of a scout will have its downsides as well and some of them are

1. you lack scout firepower. scouts are the cleaners of the game, they mop up the damage your heavy classes deal and you will find that running two scouts instead of one will benefit your team much more as the fight drags on and your scouts stay alive for the entirety of the fight. this is in comparison to running a sniper/spy where you might not achieve the desired outcome for running that certain class.

2. you lack flank cover. generally when i see that they are running a pick class i will call for my team to overrun the flank which should be generally weaker if i move another player (soldier) over to overpower that lone scout/scout+roam who is watching the flank. one of the scouts' many jobs is to watch the flank, and sacrificing one scout for a pick class might have some consequences on your flank, unless your team is capable enough to deal with running a pick class then...don't do it.

3. pushing into last uber v uber. (i know this is not phrased as a downside - you get what i mean) you generally want to run two scouts when doing so because you will need to do stuff like bait the point / forward the demo / shoot stickies / provide firepower / cleanup and more often than not an extra scout would be more beneficial.

do note that there is no standard rule as to when to run what class, it all boils down to your team dynamics and the situation at hand, tf2 is a game of adapting quickly to multiple changing situations and the better team is normally the one who adapts faster.

i'm not sure if your question include when to run heavy/engy/pyro but here goes:

as you keep playing this game you will realise that there will be multiple occasions where your team will get completely destroyed on mid point, ensuring your opponents to leave a soldier/scout on mid for a slow cap while the rest move up to take 2nd point. at this juncture there is no point holding 2nd committedly but instead spam from every direction possible and hope that they pop (highly unlikely). however you do not want them to take 2nd for free so show some presence while your utility gets up a sentry gun. now, if your utility died early on mid, it means he will spawn earlier as well - might buy him some time to get a sentry up which will spread their uber thin.

if you know that there is not enough time to set up a proper level 3 sentry, run a heavy instead, also forcing them to focus you down at some point in time and hopefully the rest of your team kites the uber well enough to fight post-uber.

i'm typing all these based off experience and from what i see, there is still no definitive rule as to when i should run what class because well, several things like your adequacy at the relevant class are determining factors as well. talk to your team, figure out who plays what if needed, and sometimes you might need to run two offclasses!

i know i made grammar errors and shit don't flame me.

cheers

• Like 1

This might seem a stupid question, but since im new to afa, and wanted to train as scou (i.e. can change to utility classes if needed), im wondering will utility classes be taught in afa.... like when to use sniper, engi, spy etc. and the basic concept when playing such utility classes in 6s.

I asked this question as most ppl from afl are against offclassing, but i think suitable offclassing will cause great advantage to a certain team. Will AFA include such stuff?

I might be too farsighted, but do members of afa have the chance of changing class (e.g. scout to roamer) in a certain afa season? It seems the afa rules are strict about staying in one class, and learning the other by myself, but recently when i asked some people, they said that changing classes is allowed if the afa admin allowed to do so (no quotes to avoid flaming about whoever said it). On what conditions will such admins allow this act?

pyro = dodgeball practice reflecting things and pubs.

heavy = pubs with medic pocket kritz and boom

sniper = pubs. mge whatever floats your boat. tr_walkway with the bots modified helps on tracking the heads too.

spy = watch youtube videos, pubs and tr_walkway for trickstabs.

engineer = m1 run back to spawn rinse and repeat

the reason why these classes aren't being taught in AFA is because these are basic classes that you can practice on your own time. scout plays in pubs and competitive is very different. comp soldier vs pub soldier = different. basically the four main classes (scout soldier demo medic) have different playstyles compared to public play, and this is why you are only taught that in AFA.

i hope you do not have the mindset that just because you are a scout means that you can change to utility classes. yeah i know sniping is fun especially having headshot sprees but if you and your scout partner are surviving strong while your roamer doesn't stay alive long enough your roamer might be put to the utility instead.

reiterating my point, pyro heavy sniper spy and engineer have playstyles that are similar in competitive and pub play. while the usage might be different, the way they help the team out is the same - pyro to reflect projectiles and burn things, heavy to tank damage and basically a forever-pistol scout with three times the survivability that moves at turtle speed, sniper to get picks from a distance as yuko has mentioned above, spy to backstab medics and shit, engineers to build auto aim robots.

tl;dr go to pubs to practice utilities

as for your question on changing classes, tell fuzz during that session if you want to change classes from your usual. its great to know how to play at least two classes (i play medic and soldier) so that you can vary it up whenever you're pugging too. perhaps a situation will allow it when there are 3 scouts and 5 soldiers, or vice versa.

if you have any other queries please ask and clarify! if you don't understand any of our replies just ask and ask again. no point being shy right now you're protected by the computer screen ffs.

the reason why these classes aren't being taught in AFA is because these are basic classes that you can practice on your own time. scout plays in pubs and competitive is very different. comp soldier vs pub soldier = different. basically the four main classes (scout soldier demo medic) have different playstyles compared to public play, and this is why you are only taught that in AFA.

reiterating my point, pyro heavy sniper spy and engineer have playstyles that are similar in competitive and pub play. while the usage might be different, the way they help the team out is the same

tl;dr go to pubs to practice utilities

First, Ty for answering.

But I am curious that afa teaches about 6v6 metagame, and will it include when to change into utilities, while, as explained by you, the dm skillz can be trained by oneself. As im purely new to the 6v6 mindset, I just wonder if afa pugs allow offclassing to teach guys when to switch classes. Some guys are rather strict against such an act as it seems. Course, it doesnt create problems when the mentors say when is the best condition to offclass, while not changing the class in play, does it?

Also another question caused by my lack of experience in afa, is it like a pug where guys can ask for !sub in the pug or is it necessary for all players to remain the whole session, no matter how long it is?

Ty once again.

For AFA, priority would be given to the standard metagame (2 Scouts, 2 Soldiers, 1 Demo and 1 Medic). Sometimes you might make use of a utility while defending last especially if you are disadvantaged. Highly situational for AFA, but as you progress to standard pugs you might see more utilities being used in more circumstances.

You can ask for a sub if there are players in spec. Just type it out as !sub only works for the PUG mod and when you guys are having AFA sessions fuzz switches the server to scrim mode.

One thing though, if you do leave the game halfway, you might be banned for AFA, and you will be banned if it is a regular pug.

You can try a new class provided you ask first, settle it with your current PuG teammates, and also know rollouts reasonably well.

Don't ask me to let you play demo if your rollout is as good as walking to mid.

or you can always look for mentors now and learn as much as you can. read the guides here too, especially the ones written by spammah.

Hey, i'm a guy in Hong Kong interested in getting into Asian Highlander. I'm a talented sniper who learns well and is always willing to learn more.

1.) Does asia fortress host a highlander league

2.) When can I find pugs in progress? I see HL pug servers from asia fortress but nobodys on.

3.) Is the asian UGC league active? I'm interested in playing highlander there but when I look at the LFT forum there is only 3 threads with hardly any replies. Where can I find a place to join a asian UGC league?

Hopefully you can help me so that I can expand the asian comp scene in TF2. I really was looking for something like this to ask questions on.

Regards,

tokyo

We do not currently host an HL league, and HL PuGs tend to be sort of rare. You'd need to add people who organise them, or possibly join the HL PuG steam group for notifications. I have no idea how active the UGC HL scene is.

No highlander league for asiafortress yet as we are currently tight on resources. If you are in HK, contact And, Halu or Shounic with regards to expanding the comp scene. We will always need more help.

Does anybody know anything about the asia UGC league? I'm particularly more interested in HL at the moment. If somebody could give some info if thats dead or not would be appreciated.

Edit: I've added some people who have played in the asian division for questions.