This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
iridescentFUZZ

I come to you once again, with a humble request.

I'd like to start off by saying how nice it is to see a truncated, and pretty damn reasonable unlock list this season. Hooray for no huntsman!

But with my personal hatred against the gunboats aside, there's one item still in the AsiaFortress unlock list that absolutely must go. Jarate.

I've said this before, and a recent event in a scrim cemented my stance on jarate.

From here:

While jarate is not broken in theory, it tends to give a very significant advantage to the team running the jarate sniper since it often forces jarateed players to fall back and wait for the effect to wear off, leading to more stalemates. This is in addition to the fact that jarate too lowers the amount of skill required to maximise damage output, which in my opinion is a bad thing.

When jarate was unbanned in North America, there were teams using it to easily force uber, slow pushes, disrupt positioning and overall take significant control away from the enemy team. I mean, compare it to other methods of getting the enemy med to use uber, such as jumping soldiers at them, projectile spam from fairly close, and scouts. All of those methods take skill, in addition to the fact that you're running the risk of losing a player(or more), while jarate+projectile spam from mid-long range is so much simpler with far less of a skill requisite.

Is taking control away from your opponents a bad thing? No; quite the opposite, in fact.

However, taking control(obtained via skillful positioning, co-ordination, strategies, aim/movement ability) away from a team by simply throwing a jar of piss into 3+ opponents is something that I see as too powerful for league play.

Call me butthurt all you like, but read the above paragraph and tell me I'm wrong. Hell, everything I said in the above post wasn't even taking KotH maps into consideration. And there are 3 out of 7 rounds in AFC 6 that require KotH maps to be played.

On a KotH map, jarate is just utterly broken. Since snipers are being run anyway a lot of the time, you're almost certainly going to have to contend with jarate while capping a point, and if you're unlucky, 3-4 teammates jarateed, which is almost guaranteed to lose you the point.

Like I've said before, jarate takes absolutely no skill to use, and provides far too much of an advantage to whoever is running it. Even if it isn't removed from the whitelist for the current seeason, I think it would be very wise to reconsider it's inclusion.

Sign in to follow this