Ever wanted to know how well you fare in the Asian competitive Team Fortress 2 scene but you're too shy to ask the server? That's what the Asiafortress Skill Rater is for! Do note that the skill rater is not just limited to players from Singapore/Malaysia - feel free to request for a rating even if you are from Japan or Korea!
有曾經想知道自己在TF2亞洲競賽界的水平但你又太害羞而難以開口嗎?這樣Asiafortress 水平評分器(Skill rater)就派上用場了！但請留意水平評分並不只限制於新加坡/馬來西亞的玩家 - 所以即使你是日本或韓國玩家，歡迎自由詢問請求評分吧!
アジアの Team Fortress 2 の競技的なシーンのにおいてあなた達はいままで自分の実力を知りたかったでしょう、だけどあなた達はシャイ過ぎてサーバーに聞くことができなかったでしょ？Asiafortress のスキルレーターはそんなあなた達のためにあります！スキルレーターはシンガポールやマレーシアのプレイヤーに限定されているものではありません。あなたが日本や韓国出身プレイヤーであってもスキル評価のリクエストを遠慮無くしてください。
당신이 경쟁팀포에 얼마나 잘 기여했는지 알고있습니다! 근데 서버 물어보기가 부끄러운가? 요그거 때문에 아포 기술 평가자가 있는 것! 기억해라. 기술 평가자는 싱가폴이나 말레이시아 플레이어에 한정된 게 아님을!, 당신이 한국인이든 일본인이든 레이팅평가를 마음껏 물어보시길!
Credits to Lei, Life & Dub for the translations!
*Disclaimer: Varying definitions of "everything" may apply.
What is SteamPipe?
SteamPipe is Valve's new content distribution system for Steam. Advantages of using SteamPipe, as claimed by Valve:
- Faster and smoother downloads
- Faster game boot times and map load times
- Easier distribution, installation, and management of mods
- Smoother dedicated server distribution and update rollover
The bolded text is good news for everyone who can't play AsiaFortress PuGs because they load slowly and never get +1's.
Great! When will TF2 be on SteamPipe?
The TF2 game files will officially be converted on the 30th of April 2013. There is, however a way to get the beta release of TF2 on SteamPipe right now.
Tell me how!
Before I tell you how, be warned of a number of things:
- Your GCF files will be deleted, along with the possibility of some of your custom content(HUDs, configs, maps, addons, model skins, sounds, etc) being deleted.
- You WILL NOT be able to join a game server that is not running the TF2 SteamPipe Dedicated Server. So, pretty much any server that you can access now will be inaccessible(Till the server owner converts on the 30th, or before) if you opt into the SteamPipe beta for TF2. This includes AsiaFortress, StarHub, LowYAT, OneAsiaGamer, and GamersUN servers.
- You CAN opt back out of the beta(go back to GCFs) before the 30th, but it's very likely you won't get your game customisation back.
- Most plugins will work(where to place them will be discussed later) excluding our great and wonderful P-REC :'(
- If you're going to try this out, I would recommend trying it on an alternate account on a different PC.
Before you opt in, you should backup all your custom content and your demos. Go into your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\[username]\team fortress 2\tf" folder and backup any folders that contain custom content(addons, cfg, maps, models, particles, resource, scripts)
Also remember, that you need enough space on disk for two copies of TF2. Once it's converted, it will go back to standard disk space usage.
Now, to opt into the SteamPipe beta, right click on TF2 in your Steam library, go to properties, click on the "Betas" tab and select "steampipe - "
Your game files should then be converted, and your GCFs will be deleted.
If you've opted into the beta, there are still some things you need to do, which will be described in the next section.
I don't want to opt into the beta; is there anything I need to do?
Whether or not you opt into the beta, once your game files are converted, there are some things you need to know about the workings of the new filesystem.
- The path of your game files will be changed from "[steam installation directory]/steamapps/[username]/team fortress 2/" to "[steam installation directory]/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/"
- All the GCF files in your steamapps folder will be deleted.
- Dowloaded files will not go to their respective folders based on type as they currently do. For example, a custom map you would currently download from a server will go to your "maps" folder. Once you're using SteamPipe, it will go to your "tf/download" folder. This has been done so you can distinguish between server-downloaded files(that you may want to remove) and files that you've downloaded yourself.
- Files that you've previously downloaded/replaced(if they don't get deleted during conversion) will be moved to "tf/download" during the conversion. I would recommend deleting everything in the "tf/download" folder after conversion. Explanation on that in the next point.
- Custom content you manually download should now go into "tf/custom", but to make it simpler to distinguish between different custom files, make a subfolder under the custom folder, such as "tf/custom/mystuff". Say you have a NoHats mod and you want to keep those custom files separate from other custom files, you can make another subfolder in 'custom', and put the NoHats files in there. So your file paths would be "tf/custom/NoHats/models" and "tf/custom/NoHats/particles". The game will still read those folders, and the NoHats files in 'models' and 'particles' will not mix with other 'models' and 'particles' files in the event that you want to remove them.
- Basically, Valve says do not extract any custom content directly into "tf/custom". Always extract it into a subfolder(create one if there's nothing in there). All your addons, cfg, maps, models, particles, resource, scripts, sound folders should go into a subfolder(can be named anything) under "tf/custom".
- Only .vpk files should go directly into the "tf/custom" folder. .vpk files basically contain everything a mod needs in a compressed format, including folder structure and varying files. However, at this point in time, no custom content I've heard about is distributed in .vpk format.
That's about it for now. The most important thing at the moment is to backup all your custom content, and your demos.
The Grand Finals of this year's Mercenaries Cup 4 was one filled with intensity, and I'm not just saying that for the sake of saying. Both maps ended in golden caps, showing the skill level of both Muk Eun Ji and Green Leaves. In the first map Snakewater, the golden cap ran the entire 10-minute duration, and ended with the middle point dominated by the Koreans. Going back and forth so many times, it has to be nerve wrecking as the first map always sets the mood.
The second map, Badlands, also ended up in a golden cap?!?!?! WTF! This time round, Muk Eun Ji managed to secure the last cap point although the fight at the last point was a little messy. But nonetheless, props to both teams especially Green Leaves for putting up a strong fight against Muk Eun Ji, especially when their last encounter was a 6-1 5-0 roll in favour of MEJ. The final score for both maps was 3-2 on Snakewater and 4-3 on Badlands.
Player awards for such an amazing grand final!
- best demo - opd
- best scout - hoshimi
- best clutch player - life
- best pocket - babel
- over powered father award - hsk's father for delivering the "father krit"
The second runner-up would be the All Stars, beating many higher-seeding teams in the competition to place third in this year's Mercenaries Cup 4. Congratulations to all the winners, which includes everyone that participated in the tournament!
Big thanks to Spammah, Yuki and Khao for casting the grand finals, Natapon as the community leader providing the Asiafortress servers and streaming the grand finals. And last but not least, thank YOU for being the community, as without you, the fourth edition of the Mercenaries Cup would never have happened.
The prize pool for this year's Mercenaries Cup amounts to 40+ refined, so congratulations to all the winners of this year's Mercenaries Cup 4, and don't splurge too much on stranges! They don't count in the Asiafortress servers anymore
MEJ > GREENLEAVES
3-2 SNAKEWATER (golden cap)
4-3 BADLANDS (golden cap)
Earlier today you guys saw the interview with W40kLife from Muk Eun Ji, and now here is part 2 of the Mercenaries Cup 4 Grand Finals interview with gappo3 from the Japanese team Green Leaves!
Why green leaves? By the way nice logo.
gappo3: Thanks. This logo was made by yoru. If you search ''happatai'', you can see greeen leaves
How long have you guys stayed a team?
gappo3: Green Leaves is 1 year old, but It has become 2 years since we first became acquainted.
How do we pronounce "gappo3"? Gaapo or gappoe?
gappo3: Gappo, gappothree ,gapposan etc... call me whichever you want
No matter the outcome of the grand finals, you guys are no longer placing third of Asiafortress' Merc Cup. How does that feel?
gappo3: Simply great. We hope to enjoy the final game.
Will you guys be participating in the next Asiafortress Cup together?
gappo3: I want to participate in the next cup, but I do not know what will happen.
How did you guys manage a comeback against the AllStars after losing three rounds in Ashville?
gappo3: I think we were completely cool with losing three rounds. We did not play much of Ashville, so we just analysed that map during the match.That way make a hit
How do you feel about facing Muk Eun Ji again?
gappo3: Muk Eun Ji is good team.That means skillfull and friendly. We call sub frequently from Muk Eun Ji, phex for example. I'd love to play with Muk Eun Ji again, hoping to enjoy myself.
gappo3: gl hf
And that is it! Remember, stay tuned as we announce the match date and time (and cast!) for the grand finals for the annual Mercenaries Cup 4!
Interview has been edited for clarity.
With the Mercenaries Cup 4 Grand Finals approaching, we turn to interview the two teams that emerge victors in this long and grueling double elimination competition. In this first part, our resident Korean admin W40kLife has kindly agreed to partake in a little question and answer, answering the rumours floating around the TF2 chatosphere.
Why name a team after kimchi and a restaurant? Does one of your team members work there or have they visited?
Life: MUK EN JI is one of the kimchis we have in Korea. It doesn’t have any special meaning or something. While Creep was watching a documentary film about kimchi, he came up with the idea that it would be nice to make the team name with the name of our traditional food. For the second question, no one is working in a restaurant.
Is opd going to play in the grand finals?
Life: I guess he’s gonna play in the grand finals. He is the most essential part for the team and he knows it. You will see him in the grand finals.
Can you confirm the rumours of xeta using his side mouse keys to turn in game?
Life: That is true.
Do you guys have a main lineup of sorts?
creep bable toto=soldier
Do you feel confident about the grand finals against Green Leaves?
Life: Both we and Green leaves play LOL sometimes. I guess who’s gonna win depends on who's been playing LOL less. Personally we are gonna win.
What do you hope the prizes would be?
Life: Never thought of that. Gaming gears would be nice.
Will you guys join the next Asiafortress Cup together as a team, or will you guys go on to different teams?
Life: I hope so but some members will serve in the military soon, TOTO has to take SAT, and etc. I think for those reasons we can’t team up in the future.
Cree “we will win Asianfortress Cup!”
xeta “you know what? I have a robot arm”
opd “there is no hope for us”
bebel “life’s penis is only 3cm”
phx “I have nothing to say”
forcedge “life is fucking ugly”
life “let’s hope that we can enjoy TF2 for a long time”
Stay tuned for part 2 with the Green Leaves!
Want to know how well you fare in the local competitive scene? Well here's your chance! With no bias, no personal grudges with equality to boot, I introduce you to the Asiafortress Skill Detector!
This mysterious wo/man is part of our community. Something like Gossip Girl, only that he/she works alone without his/her minions (or does he/she have them?), and he/she doesn't destroy lives with an e-blast.
One pre-requisite you must have though for your skill to be detected is that you actually have to play in our servers. Although he/she might be all-knowing, he/she isn't Robin Walker and cannot access the logs of the various other servers that you play on, and he/she rates solely on your competitive TF2 skills (metagame, DM etc) that is visible here in Asiafortress.
So what are you waiting for? I got rated, and although I don't necessarily main Soldier but I still think that the points presented were fair and just. Click through this sentence and request for a rating!