This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Badaimer :/

Need help with cl_interp

Alright then, so I've been messing around with my cl_interp quite a bit recently, and I have a few basic questions to ask (cuz im a newb). So here it is:

1. What does it change/do?
2. How to set up an optimum cl_interp for each class?
3. Will it affect your aiming and gameplay? Will your aim become inconsistent that way?
4. Is it recommended to often change your cl_interp?
5. Is it about the server your connected to? And how would you change your cl_interp in different servers?

The reason I asked these questions, is that I keep changing my cl_interp, hoping to get a better aim that way. Somehow, each time I open TF2, I can't aim with the previous cl_interp I used. For me, wierdly, I can aim better when I changed my cl_interp to another value. And then somehow, the next time I open TF2, I need yet another cl_interp to aim better.

I just feel strange to change the cl_interp everytime I open TF2. It might also be the reason that I have inconsistent aim, or the other way round, that I need to constantly change cl_interp as I have inconsistent aim.

These are the values I most commonly use:
cl_interp 0.02
cl_interp 0.034
cl_interp 0.0134
cl_interp 0

If I remember, I got the value cl_interp 0 from Fuzz.

Extra question: Whats interp ratio? How on earth is it related to the above cl_interp?

Thanks for taking your time reading this. And hopefully an early thank you for your answer.

- Badaimer / TOTAL TRYHARD

P.S. sorz for bad engleesh.

1. It gives you fake lag or what you can say is delaying your input i think

2. Valve did an update and now you cannot change your interp unless you join spec/leave, so setting up an interp for each class is now useless

3. I keep it as low as possible so I don't get magical rockets

4. It's preference for everyone

5. Well you cant go 5 ms in a 200 ping server, I just keep the same interp

2. Valve did an update and now you cannot change your interp unless you join spec/leave, so setting up an interp for each class is now useless

sheesh. how can I not notice that. *hits myself on the head*

but u can still change it in spec yeh?

Ty for answering though. Really appreciated the answers.

To answer your questions:

1. It stands for interpolation and it is a method that networking uses to disguise the fact that there is lag in this physical universe. It makes things on your screen look smooth when it actually isn't; in a sense, think of motion blurring masking a low frame rate to look smooth. The value you set cl_interp to will determine what balance between choppy-but-accurate-and-updated and smooth looking but maybe targets positions aren't as accurate on YOUR screen (client) compared to where they ACTUALLY ARE (as dictated by the server). 0 = most warpy most updated.

2. There is no 'optimal' but you are advised to set a value lower than default 0.1 (as long as you're under 100 ping) and there are two magic values 0 and 0.03 (see below).

3. It will not increase your skill in aiming, but it might have been the limiting factor on your aim that was all the while that good. Example: A noob will not get better changing his interp but a pro may get better.

4. No, unless you're moving from low ping servers to high ping servers frequently.

5. It is a client value and not related to servers, you should increase it slightly (up to 0.1 max) for every 100 ping (approximate guess out of my ass value, read valves networking and rates guide for the exact math) so you give yourself more latency-grace in higher ping.

A few things:

Assuming you're local and you don't have to play above 100 ping ever, you don't have to care too much about increasing your interp as you change servers. Having said that, here's what you need to know:

1. Its personal preference.

2. The higher the interp, the bigger the delay between the point where you click your mouse and the rocket/pellet comes out.

3. The default interp is 0.10 The average player cannot tell the difference in ms so TF2 does not feel sluggish to them with 0.1 and having 0.1 means they have better lag compensation ('easier' and 'more forgiving' shots).

4. Competitive players strive for consistency and mastery of execution, a lower interpolation will allow you to maximize how fast your reaction has become from those 4000 hours of MGE/iPhone games. The most obvious change from 0.1 to 0 interp would be how much more responsive rockets feel.

5. 0 is actually only setting it as low as the server allows, in most cases the minimum value is 0.015. In other words, in most cases 0 = 0.015. You may check your current actual setting with net_graph (lerp value.)

6. The other 'commonly accepted' value is 0.033. People claim they feel 'right' and that this is the best balance between smoothness and natural human reaction. Fuck 'feelings', the scientific explanation is that the average human reaction is somewhere between 200-300ms. Note that average includes old people. Theoretically, projectile weapons should always be kept as low as possible (0) while 0.03 is debatable for hitscan. But this is still preference lol.

7. If you are a cheap bastard with no honor leave your spy and sniper interp at 0.1. This allows ridiculous room for facestabs and random flick headshots that clearly missed.

8. Interp at 0 may cause everyone in public servers (20++ players) to warp, increase it if this is the case.

My personal values are 0 (actually 0.015 as translated by servers) for under 80 ping and 0.025 for pubbing/laggy servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_(online_gaming)#Client-side

If this is true, this is best piece of news I've heard in months.

For those innocent and honest minds out there, I think you will find that there are some 'godly' and 'pro' snipers out there who have suddenly become 'rusty' and unable to aim anymore with this new update...

• Like 1

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they changed it again

You can change the interp while you're dead now

it's better i guess

So now you can still have class specific interp

First of all, thanks for the answers.

For me, cl_interp affects mainly my sniper aim. I guess its the same as mm had said, it might not be actually my aim that has gone bad, but that it was always bad, but i sometimes get those lucky flick headshots.

Gotta keep that cl_interp constant to see actually how my aim is for other hitscans and projectiles are i guess :/