This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
fwishyy

AFC 13 Feedback Thread

I personally feel that rostered members should atleast play 1 match to receive their badges, as well as limiting the roster size to 8 players. This is to encourage people to actively play in the league instead of roster riding playoff teams. 

Playing against 2 pyros on salvage last holds is frustrating to play against and feels pretty cheap to use. flame particles clutter the screen which lowers frames even on high end PCs. Pyro should be reduced to 1.

Player transfers from a higher division team to a lower division team should be heavily discouraged as to prevent sandbagging; which can be seen through the disbanding of 3 division 2 teams during the season and having "higher tiered players" influencing how the lower tier divisions pan out.

Controversial opinions but this is what i think.

Also close div 1 and 2 challonge brackets

9 minutes ago, n4ver said:

Player transfers from a higher division team to a lower division team should be heavily discouraged as to prevent sandbagging; which can be seen through the disbanding of 3 division 2 teams during the season and having "higher tiered players" influencing how the lower tier divisions pan out.

Fully agree. Div 1 teams who don't make playoffs have a lot of players going to high div 2 teams who are playing playoffs. This has been going on for many seasons now (my team in S11 was guilty of this). The way seeding works is that the worst div 1 team > best div 2 team, so there will definitely still be a skill gap even though the div 1 players did not make playoffs.

9 minutes ago, n4ver said:

11 hours ago, n4ver said:

I personally feel that rostered members should atleast play 1 match to receive their badges, as well as limiting the roster size to 8 players. This is to encourage people to actively play in the league instead of roster riding playoff teams. 

I agree with you regarding the point on rostered members playing 1 match as a prerequisite, but I think that the roster size should stick to the 10 player cap. 

Don't remove any maps from the map pool, add granary and/or metalworks

Also, limit the sniper and pyro class limits to 1 instead of 2.

Edited by houdini

17 hours ago, n4ver said:

this looks alright on paper, but it doesnt put into account rostered subs that only get to sub in scrims as main players are available for matches. a workaround would be that leaders could decide at the end of the season which players in their roster should be given their medals, but even this suggestion has its flaws. i also personally believe that the roster size is fine as it is

control over the problem of sandbagging has definitely improved over the previous seasons, but improvements can still be made. restricting players to only play certain classes in lower divisions definitely helps. and having leaders state which classes the higher div player would play in the "justification" section could and should be enforced

for linear suggestions such as the changing of class limits and map votes (especially map votes), i suggest that admins could put up a survey (like what leagues such as ugc do), so that more community members could have a voice on what could be the best rule set / map pool / etc for the next season. this could better help the admins have a more decisive and confident decision. (this suggestion was partially inspired by that strawpoll in etf2l to remove reckoner from the map pool ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) 

1 hour ago, -ideknoo said:

a workaround would be that leaders could decide at the end of the season which players in their roster should be given their medals, but even this suggestion has its flaws. i also personally believe that the roster size is fine as it is.

Let's be honest here, almost nobody would use their subs in a match, especially in playoffs (exception to a Div2 team because their leader got banned *wink*). Limiting the roster to 8 just limits the amount of people receiving the badge. There are so many instances where a team has online subs and even ROSTERED PLAYERS (AFE), they choose to use mercs. What's this about "if you use a merc, I get to use a merc too." Complete misuse of the concept. 

As I suggested before, limit the amount of subs in a division. It's obvious that the higher division you're in the more time you need to spend practicing. The players that spend more time in the game are typically also in higher divisions. Div3 should be set to 12 people, div2 10 and maybe div1 at 8. There shouldn't be any excuse for div3 leaders to say that 7/12 people in your team can't play the whole week. 

19 hours ago, n4ver said:

I personally feel that rostered members should atleast play 1 match to receive their badges, as well as limiting the roster size to 8 players. 

People would know that the person played or roster rided for the badge. There's really no need to prevent people who don't play to get the badge. It's up to the team leaders to decide anyway. 

more articles/hype on the main page perhaps, oftimes people are only in the know of the ongoings in the season that they are participating in. This is especially so for Div 1 players not knowing anything about div 3, and vice versa. 

And generally, more hype is a great thing for image, especially for newer players. I know it personally read AFC 10 writeups , and got stoked. In fact, being in a write up was a motivation for me.

Of course I probably should have written something, but having articles on main page is really cool.

8 ppl in roaster is little too tight. I think 10 ppl is enough already.. And only same or lesser div player should be exchangeable during the roaster change time. Ex) div 1 team may scout div2 or div 3 player. But div 2 or div3 team cannot recrut div 1 player. And recruiting same div is possible etc...

Throughout the season, many of team used mercs. This mean that even 10 players in roaster was not enough to gather 6 ppl. I personally think that restricting more members will do more harm then good.

Also, can we get the proland? Normal badland maps are bad enough. And whole season we played normal version of badland.

19 hours ago, n4ver said:

Playing against 2 pyros on salvage last holds is frustrating to play against and feels pretty cheap to use. flame particles clutter the screen which lowers frames even on high end PCs. Pyro should be reduced to 1.

Controversial opinions but this is what i think.

Also close div 1 and 2 challonge brackets

Wholeheartedly agreed with this post tbh. 

Has AFC considered bringing back a registration fee to the league? This may create the incentive for players to put in the effort to improve and possibly create upsets in the divisions. Not something too overwhelming perhaps, something like a 1/3 of a key (will just assume 10 ref for now) that has to be paid by each player, sub and roster rider.

Just some quick maths, with 8 teams in division 1, and 10 players in each, the prize pool will be 800 refined. If first place gets 50%, second gets 30% and third gets 20%, we're looking at some nice incentives. This is of course just a random number I thought on the spot, and can perhaps be brought further by the admins.

Only issue is what about players in transfer windows. Also where the currency goes to..

On 4/19/2018 at 11:56 AM, ev is a name too short?? said:

Has AFC considered bringing back a registration fee to the league? This may create the incentive for players to put in the effort to improve and possibly create upsets in the divisions. Not something too overwhelming perhaps, something like a 1/3 of a key (will just assume 10 ref for now) that has to be paid by each player, sub and roster rider.

Just some quick maths, with 8 teams in division 1, and 10 players in each, the prize pool will be 800 refined. If first place gets 50%, second gets 30% and third gets 20%, we're looking at some nice incentives. This is of course just a random number I thought on the spot, and can perhaps be brought further by the admins.

Only issue is what about players in transfer windows. Also where the currency goes to..

What about fourth :( 

tbh id agree with you, but id do 45% to 1st place, 25% to 2nd, 20% to 3rd, and 10% to 4th

3 hours ago, houdini said:

What about fourth :( 

tbh id agree with you, but id do 45% to 1st place, 25% to 2nd, 20% to 3rd, and 10% to 4th

I would disagree on the 4th place winnings. If a team gets to 4th it means that they got to playoffs without winning a single BO3. Implying that the only wins they got were against lower skilled teams that were of the same division. 

poeyy and slurg is f2p, its like denying a whole region

Edited by Pure

If this happens division 1 should have higher prize pools then the other 2 divisions or else it wouldn't make much sense.

Was talking with my father this afternoon about competitive gaming, and he mentioned something which made me raise my eyebrow. :huh:

Apparently in some double elimination tournaments, in cases where a team got sent to a lower bracket by losing a match to the winner of the upper bracket, and then that same team goes back to face them again in the finals, the lower bracket winner has to win twice, while the upper bracket winner only has to win once, as it is a double elimination  tournament after all. 

"The rationale is that since the tournament is indeed double elimination, it is unfair to have the W Bracket champion eliminated with its first loss. Therefore, while the W Bracket champion needs to beat the L Bracket champion only once to win the tournament, the L Bracket champion must beat the Winners' Bracket champion twice." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament

Under this rationale, there are probably a lot of cases where teams only got eliminated once but lost anyway. The AFC ruleset doesn't address this, so it makes me wonder if it's an oversight or perhaps there's some good reason somewhere why we don't do it the same way here? If the grand finals don't count towards double elimination, we may as well switch to a single elimination format for the whole playoffs, because why should one team be lucky enough to lose but come back from it, and not another? 

Here's an example: http://liquipedia.net/teamfortress/ESEA/Season_21/Invite/North_America#Playoffs In season 21, Froyo lost to Ronin in the upper bracket finals. They played the lower bracket finals, and beat Street Hoops, before going back to face Ronin again, and winning 2 BO3 series in order to win the Season 21. Similarly, in the following season 22, Ronin lost to Froyo in the upper bracket finals, before winning the lower bracket finals. Facing Froyo again in the grand finals, they beat Froyo in one BO3, and then in the deciding BO3 Froyo won the last 2 maps to win the season.

TL;DR playoffs should either be fully double elimination, or fully single elimination.

Edited by Enganox
examples included