This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
Audi0

Asiafortress 1000FPS server

The server side fps is 952 and constantly drops to 50-70 (when >=12 are playing), making it very difficult to play pugs. Plus during odd moments it drops to below 10 where the game turns into a slideshow.

Just hoping someone takes notice of this and maybe fix it.

Quoting post from private boards.

It's because the server's hosted on a box that's also running the company's business website. The websites and all the other shit running in that box will have higher priority than the TF2 server running on it. I'd already told the AFL "treasurer" to request BIZWEB to change the box about 2 months ago but nothing has happened (regarding our treasurer obviously).

cFosspeed is quite and alternative. It helps in traffic shaping and helps to get over lag, it worked for me at least. I know FPS of that server machine doesn't depend on traffic shaping or networking but still helps a bit

and if you have high-end machines then you must put -high in tf2 set launch options it prioritizes TF2 more and less to the background applications. I will be glad if it helps... and if possibly we could reduce the server slots then it would be better because

findings from last two moths of running two 32 slot servers on one dedicated box.

Hardware:

2Gb RAM, Opteron 1216 2.4 Ghz Dual core, Win 2003 , 10 MBit up/down .

I dont included fast respawn in these calculations as they make small defference in overall load when I look at the server.

Related config vars:

sv_minrate 5000

sv_maxrate 30000

sv_minupdaterate 10

sv_maxupdaterate 66

sv_mincmdrate 10

sv_maxcmdrate 66

My hourly bandwidth usage for 2 full 32 slot servers:

5.7 - 6.9 Mbps (rate) - 2.1 - 2.4 Gb / hour upload (to the clients)

1.2 - 1.5 Mbps (rate) - 0.5 - 0.6 Gb / hour download (to server)

Do roughly you're looking at:

38.4 MB / hour / slot upload + 9.34 MB / hour / slot download = 48.74 MB.

24 slots * 48.74 MB / hour = 1169.76 MB / hour

1169.76 * 24 hours = 28074.24 MB / day

28074.24 * 31 days = 870301.44 MB / month or ~ 849 GB.

I find that you will not even come close to that worst case. Monthly bandwidth will hover around 60-80% of theoretical max, unless you're doing a full packed server 24hrs a day.

As far as CPU goes, my setup doesn't peak the CPU usage above 65% and that's with the server handling Mysql and a website for the TF2 stuff.

If you want more accurate findings you will have to experiment yourself or get a hold of actual data for your hardware . Good luck .

355 k bits = around 40 k bytes

so 40 divided by 4 = 10 players

Find out the server upstream bandwidth and get it into k bytes divide it by 4 or to be precise 5 since the amount of data required by the player would be high

so that the ticks dont go like

for a 1000 fps server it should be

tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - miss.

but this server is like

tick - miss - miss - miss - miss - tick - miss - tick - tick - miss - tick :\

If that is the case then we can request a downgrade for the server to 500FPS so it requires less resources to run (hardly any difference between 500fps and 1000fps server at 66tick). Also if data traffic is an issue then rates should be capped at 20000 until the guys handling the server can fix it or shift it somewhere else.

And server slots to 16.

The server side fps is 952 and constantly drops to 50-70 (when >=12 are playing)' date=' making it very difficult to play pugs. Plus during odd moments it drops to below 10 where the game turns into a slideshow.

Just hoping someone takes notice of this and maybe fix it.

[/quote']

i have about 9-20fps almost everyday. i survived. :>

Guys please don't go OT, its great that you can play on low fps and very lucky that the lag on this server wont matter to you.

It's a shame that no one's done anything about this long-standing issue DESPITE the countless orders I've given the peeps in charge but if people do not want to spend 5 minutes doing something really mundane and easy then expect the same reaction.

It's fps_max nooooooooob. And NO! 100 fps is too low!

:)))) a zero doesnt make any difference u noooooooooooooooooob =D

The interpolation per tick does matter, thus more the fps better the server. Though many have argued about 1000FPS being just a CPU and memory hog as it doesn't provide anything significant and is only a marketing gimmick.

TF2 being a 66tick doesn't even take advantage of 500FPS servers. Even a 250/333FPS server with negligible jitter would be awesome.