welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Misfit

AFLAN.SG Feedback

pt8rUWC.jpg

Hi All,

Firstly, thank you all so much for coming down to support this event! I know we had a lot of hiccups and time could have been better managed, so thank you for your never ending patience (especially to coy who had to wait so long to play their matches. I apologize!!).

This thread is for those who went for AFLAN.SG to give their feedback on how we can better improve a LAN event. Please give constructive criticism. Sarcasm, drama, personal vendettas and feuds are not to be posted in this thread.

We need your feedback to know where to correct our wrongs and learn from our mistakes. So please, help us by being as constructive as possible!

Few things I'd like to point out if y'all don't mind.

1st off I think the server machine would've benefited from having 2 machines hosting rather then 1 hosting both as I'm guessing it was stressed somewhat (lerp on machines running 15.2 ms showed signs of packet loss even though it was LAN) and those game store machines maybe don't get rebooted much.

The volunteered casting still worked out alright (thanks so much for having me on one as well though I was shakey haha )

I reallllly wished there was some video recorded content though Nagy was lovely throughout (he even helped me do some bits with my cam).

The lack of manpower is also slightly worrying, I'm willing to help as always lemme know next event maybe I can do something in the background as well? :D

While I understand that only some PCs were booked. I feel that most people (other then me and a few others, I got lucky with an empty rig) didn't have as much warm up time. Poor russkan and andre was bored that I know.

I vow to bring more bubble wrap to share regardless <3

Thanks for the feedback saki, in relation to some of the points you've mentioned, it was pretty tough to not only find willing helpers, but those with the appropriate expertise to help as well.

As for the venue, colo were amazing partners to work with providing us with pcs and use of most of their equipment, and though we would have liked to have the whole place you guys have to understand that everything was community funded;

I thought it was a pretty big stretch gettig you guys to pay 15 a player, but that barely met the minimum requirement needed for the venue. Maybe for the next event we will see if we can work out better arrangements with our sponsors, or perhaps even run a lan over 2 days, we'll see

Also i sincerely apologize to my fellow scouts for the hitreg issues, which only came to my attention after the ffs h2 game. Had we known earlier, we might have been able to tweak the server configs and eventually a reset did the job. Rest be assured this will not occur again in the future.

More feedback would be appreciated from everyone, and even suggestions. I daresay that though we were off schedule by hours and playing on unfamiliar pcs, everyone ultimately did have a fun time playing intense games and meeting new friends.

All ideas will go towards making bigger things happen for the community, who knows, afl or mercs with prizes or bigger LANs? Let's make it happen

as some of the players or people who came down has told me, or hoped that we have 2 day event instead of one day. unfortunately because of funds, we couldn't make it a two day event, but I came to realized that it's not possible for players to set up for just 5 minutes, or even 15 minutes. they need at least 45 minutes to get ready and warm up and fix what they needed to fix and especially because we had limited computers, seats changing and configs changing, it was even harder for us to stay on time. I should have thought of this way before planning out the schedule for the event. I apologized to all the teams for the time constrain we had for this event. everything was in tight schedule. I apologized as well for all the technical issues and the things that I myself had overlook, for example, the hitreg issues.

Hehe I was there probably halve the duration of people from 6k and coy but yeah here are my thoughts :-)

•LAN arena is a little small, as i took a stroll around bugis+, I saw the garena stadium and man thag was really lan style, 5 pcs // 2 shoutcasters // another 5 pcs. Wish we could hold a event there some other time! But I understand it would be a lot more costly and Garena isn't with TF2. But yea colossuem was a little small to be honest, a little squeezy, but I guess that literally brought the community closer :P

•Schedule; super tight imo, and the allocated rest times were a little too short, not that I'm playing in a team but that's what I observed. When I came, hank and fishee(?) were like dead on the chair :( They look really really tired. So maybe spread out the timing a little, a two day lan maybe? :) Oh yes for the MGE tourney, kinda wished you could have told us when exactly we would start. And aiyo... sharkbait sit there nothing do till like 5 wor...

•Improvements and Suggestions; as i said, a 2 day LAN would have been really nice, but that means we have to book the venue for two days, double the cost >~< Prizes wise I guess it was nice, but logitech D: (just another imo thing don't mind me). Hope that we could host another LAN soon :)

•Staff! More could be helping out, maybe a few dedicated shoutcasters? :) I liked Puzz/Saki/Rufus/Aza's casting (NO BIAS IM SORRY THE OTHER CASTERS :<), Cald looks super tired too maybe we'll have a technician on site just to help with pc screw ups? Administration was okay, just a little messy, like allocating mge spots, where teams sit etcetc.

Saki has already mentioned some things I said, so idk why I'm still typing them aha

Thanks for reading :-)

Edited by frostyy
  • Like 1

Hey, I know i couldn't be able to make it at the very last minute. But from what i heard from my teammates i thought of sharing some of my input. 

1. It was great and amazing that Colosseum was really kind and gave us a venue to organize this event even until 3 a.m. And with the it's understandable with the budget that we have it's the best place we can actually afford but i heard that the PCs over there is somewhat not up to par and hence most of my teammates having all sort of frustration of FPS dropping etc. You guys might have been over there and test out the rig etc. before hand but maybe for future events if we are to do it at a LAN shop again maybe we have someone to go over there first and test out their equipment etc.

2. Man-power is one thing but we also need people who knows about the technical side. Let it be server side or streaming or even PCs we need at least one volunteer on such with experience of things. I would suggesting asking someone before hand on who knows all this sort of stuff who might. 

3. It was great having casters openly like that etc. But with a place that's small I would like to suggest maybe only limit that to the Finals or Semi-Final etc. Like even in i46 they didn't had such open casters for regular matches and only had a nice big grand stage for finals. Also maybe that was a reason why the schedule got messed up. Having to set up things like that on a tight schedule is to be honest a waste of time and coming from someone who has played this sort of LAN in World Cyber Games etc. this casting thing during the game can be very distracting and make most players really lose their focus at times because some players will be hearing the casters instead and with a small venue like that it can be really distracting. (Again, i might not be there in person but i'm speaking on behalf my teammates and experience wise)

4. I hope the success of this LAN have actually attracted some sponsors that would sponsor us in future events. Maybe we have someone on the admin side to act as an official liaison to companies such as logitech, intel etc. Maybe we can have  some really strong sponsors that we can bring our friends from different countries like Korea, Japan, Hong Kong etc. so we can have a nice great epic Asian LAN or maybe do something like what ESEA Invite does and have like a nice good venue maybe like in Malaysia's Cyberjaya where u can get accommodations for a very good price and a great LAN shop or warehouse to have our spectacle event. (This is for a future big scale event)

Edited by Jopperstaluf
  • Like 1

"For the community"

But we, ourselves can only do so much,

I could only hope that we could get more people to help out during the LAN and in the first place more people to get the LAN itself going.

Hope to see more people being more initiative to help events get going by volunteering themselves for certain roles they think they're capable of doing no matter how minor.

It was really tough on erio and misfit as they were mostly the ones doing the heavy lifting in organising this event and kudos to them.

• Like 1

The Peter Principle is a management theory which suggests that organizations risk filling management roles with people who are incompetent if they promote those who are performing well at their current role, rather than those who have proven abilities at the intended role. It is named after Laurence J. Peter who co-authored the 1969 humorous book The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong with Raymond Hull. They suggest that people will tend to be promoted until they reach their "position of incompetence".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

This is not intended to be Sarcastic,Dramatic or a personal feud.

Also, I loved how the shoutcasters gave tips, like advantages, when to push, where to stand etcetc

:D

benny was best at this. then came cleric and cuteman ;3

Hey, I know i couldn't be able to make it at the very last minute. But from what i heard from my teammates i thought of sharing some of my input. 

1. It was great and amazing that Colosseum was really kind and gave us a venue to organize this event even until 3 a.m. And with the it's understandable with the budget that we have it's the best place we can actually afford but i heard that the PCs over there is somewhat not up to par and hence most of my teammates having all sort of frustration of FPS dropping etc. You guys might have been over there and test out the rig etc. before hand but maybe for future events if we are to do it at a LAN shop again maybe we have someone to go over there first and test out their equipment etc.

2. Man-power is one thing but we also need people who knows about the technical side. Let it be server side or streaming or even PCs we need at least one volunteer on such with experience of things. I would suggesting asking someone before hand on who knows all this sort of stuff who might. 

3. It was great having casters openly like that etc. But with a place that's small I would like to suggest maybe only limit that to the Finals or Semi-Final etc. Like even in i46 they didn't had such open casters for regular matches and only had a nice big grand stage for finals. Also maybe that was a reason why the schedule got messed up. Having to set up things like that on a tight schedule is to be honest a waste of time and coming from someone who has played this sort of LAN in World Cyber Games etc. this casting thing during the game can be very distracting and make most players really lose their focus at times because some players will be hearing the casters instead and with a small venue like that it can be really distracting. (Again, i might not be there in person but i'm speaking on behalf my teammates and experience wise)

4. I hope the success of this LAN have actually attracted some sponsors that would sponsor us in future events. Maybe we have someone on the admin side to act as an official liaison to companies such as logitech, intel etc. Maybe we can have  some really strong sponsors that we can bring our friends from different countries like Korea, Japan, Hong Kong etc. so we can have a nice great epic Asian LAN or maybe do something like what ESEA Invite does and have like a nice good venue maybe like in Malaysia's Cyberjaya where u can get accommodations for a very good price and a great LAN shop or warehouse to have our spectacle event. (This is for a future big scale event)

I actually thought there would be stream on twitch with our local casters for semis and grand, but it turns out that our casters are players themselves, so it was impossible for us on that side. we got casters to cast the other games, so at least people do understand what they are seeing, the finals were casted but it wasn't streamed, I guess by that time, we had no one and we were all very tired. It was hard to find onsite casters that could do that that were no players themselves and the idea that was thought was happing was actually having casters in the private room, that was why I wanted to get that room in the first place and cast from there but in the end, everyone was just outside and watching the games.

they told us that they had their machines checked, it was mostly port issues for the headphones and stuff and because we had to launch tf2 in a certain way, sometimes people do it differently that result in things happening.

for sponsors, we had our Marion who did all our PR work. liaising with the sponsors and such. trust me, if we could bring the foreign teams to Singapore, it would be very good for us. when I was planning out the LAN, I had asked one of my Korean friends about maybe coming down, the bigger issue is more about them getting visa and time, some are working and some are schooling.

I really do wish it would be much more bigger scale on the next one.

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the servers etc., I genuinely appreciate it and will keep them in mind.

Personally, I think we need a much, much longer set up time in the future. And by set up time I mean when the whole place is cleared out for our use and testing. This would have ensured we could adequately test the servers for hitreg issues, load testing, and other things like streams (yes it's a shame shaddup spammah :( )and customization methods, amongst various other things. For those wondering, I went down on Wednesday the week of the LAN to set up and test, and only managed to test the servers, STV and Mumble because literally every other computer was taken. Hence, the other computers were more or less out of the question for me to test.

Team-wise, I feel like we had too many teams on the field. This didn't just create problems with the configs and etc., it also contributed to the lengthy delays which ultimately led to the finals ending around 2:30 am. Perhaps it would have worked better with 4 or 6 teams, despite the community expressing their (high-aiming) desire to see 8 teams, which was a struggle to meet as well.

Ideally we could minimize the technical problems to a great degree if each competitor was assigned to their own PC for the day, if the budget allows it of course.

Thanks for the invaluable experience guys, I am grateful to be a part of this event with all my heart.

I actually thought there would be stream on twitch with our local casters for semis and grand, but it turns out that our casters are players themselves, so it was impossible for us on that side. we got casters to cast the other games, so at least people do understand what they are seeing, the finals were casted but it wasn't streamed, I guess by that time, we had no one and we were all very tired. It was hard to find onsite casters that could do that that were no players themselves and the idea that was thought was happing was actually having casters in the private room, that was why I wanted to get that room in the first place and cast from there but in the end, everyone was just outside and watching the games.

they told us that they had their machines checked, it was mostly port issues for the headphones and stuff and because we had to launch tf2 in a certain way, sometimes people do it differently that result in things happening.

for sponsors, we had our Marion who did all our PR work. liaising with the sponsors and such. trust me, if we could bring the foreign teams to Singapore, it would be very good for us. when I was planning out the LAN, I had asked one of my Korean friends about maybe coming down, the bigger issue is more about them getting visa and time, some are working and some are schooling.

I really do wish it would be much more bigger scale on the next one.

I understand where your going with the casting but that was my input.

Regards my sponsors idea, i understand most people are from Singapore but in all honestly i feel the sponsors would appreciate if it was at more budget-able cost. I mean which company wouldn't want to make an event at minimal cost. That's why i suggested next time have it in Malaysia where it's really more cheaper and i think it's easier for our friends from around other Asia gets visa more easier then to Singapore (i'm not sure. it could just be me) Of course we don't have such a shorter time span this time. Let's have like a 4-5 months time frame or something for everyone to be better planned and prepared. (just an idea)

I can maybe ask my friends who has been organizing counter-strike tournaments how they set up the server etc. Next time if u guys have it at Singapore or Malaysia i be more then happy to help out via organizing, PR, server side and everything.

I have been admin for a big NA TF2 community for over 2 years. I had my own private servers, i learned about sourcemod and configs pretty quickly. I know a guy who has been doing big scale tournaments and i can help Marion talk to him about getting sponsors. I know a lot of hoteliers as contacts that help out accommodations if we ever do it in Malaysia. I volunteer myself next time for any big scale idea in the near future only if we can get our community more serious, together, supportive, matured and have an open mind.

Edited by Jopperstaluf

Okay jopper you're in charge of aflan.my start planning :D

If it were in malaysia no way could i organize it, let alone go. Army had very strict directives on traveling and neither can i apply for leave as and when

benny was best at this. then came cleric and cuteman ;3

:( i don't think i was around when cleric and qtman casted !!! :<

and i didn't really catch summer leh (Sorry Summer!)

but kudos to them and all the other casters! :D

Okay jopper you're in charge of aflan.my start planning :D

If it were in malaysia no way could i organize it, let alone go. Army had very strict directives on traveling and neither can i apply for leave as and when

Woah, can't take a weekend off to travel even like 5 hours drive destination? D:

It'll be really difficult to do so, army isint like working a normal job

Also dual casting would have helped since im generally a boring person, one guy to provide the hype and me the insight

As an outsider, I don't see much use  in moving the LAN to Malaysia. We've already set up connections and business relationship with Colosseum so why not build on it? From what people say, they were a pretty good service.

As good as it seems malaysia is too dangerous for most of our players under 16. Also shuonic made the important point that we are building valuable ties with colo and logitech already an we can only grow from there

As good as it seems malaysia is too dangerous for most of our players under 16. Also shuonic made the important point that we are building valuable ties with colo and logitech already an we can only grow from there

Yes, parents would be worried anyways. It would be troublesome if someone were to misplace their passports/airtickets/car keys. Summer is it possible we get a variety of prizes in terms of manufacturers next time? eg. Tt eSports, Steelseries and Razer, all these are gamer-centered companies maybe we can hook up with the local branches of these companies? Agreed that we should build bonds that are already existing but it wouldn't hurt to try out new ones on addition of building stronger existing bonds right? :)

You have to understand that companies would not just randomly sponsor prizes just because we ask them to.

As businesses they will do something if it benefits them in terms of sales or advertisement, and tf2 is already a small game, not to rven mention asiafortress. Believe me that we were ExTREMELY lucky to get the help of colo and logitech when almost nobody else would have.

Show that asiafortress has stable growth and an influx of players, grow together and we will see more perks

even as a malaysian, i don't see how it would be convenient to transport so many singaporeans to hold a LAN event here. as far as i can see, a majority of afers are based in singapore, with prolly like 10 or so players who are in malaysia. even if it'd be cheaper to organize it here, i think transport + accommodation-related costs, not so much.

edit: i just saw the "future big scale event" comment - so maybe it would be a possibility in 10 years. :D

Edited by hedwig
  • Like 1

On behalf of Patipower :

On a side note, some improvements to be done would probably include simulating a 6v6 scrim (sitting 12 players down and playing a scrim) to check for any server/PC related technical issues that may arise during the actual match. For example, I had severe hit registration issues that surfaced only when our team was playing our 3rd map (before that it was relatively tolerable), probably due to a server overload. The ctrl (crouch) and spacebar (jump) keys also couldn't be used simultaneously and even Saki couldn't identify the problem, so I just had to play with it as I didn't want to extend the preparation time when we were all already so behind schedule. These problems severely affected my gameplay, the former my aim/dmg output, the latter my movement.

I'm sure I speak for most scout players when I say that I was honestly quite frustrated when my shots that were supposed to deal 80-102 dmg ended up as mere sparks bouncing off my opponent, only to have him kill me. The hitreg problems were eventually solved when it became apparent that more and more scout players were having this problem (during the coy vs sharkbait match map 2), but I still do feel this issue could have been addressed and dealt with even before the LAN.

• Like 1