This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
DaLoneHuggable

Acceptance & Understanding of (New) Puggers

holy shit u really read the whole thing. thx and love <3

I read his essay and bios' contradictions too. So jelly with all of your engrish laa

Anyway, I can't say that I've been a member of this community for a long time (almost as long as bio i think. we started in afa tgt). I wasn't a regular pugger till early this year Jan where I finally got an ethernet cable and could finally play on a stable and good connection. Then started pugging whenever I could, when I wasn't busy with real life (work,reading, going out with friends).

This community has its pros and cons, just like any other community out there, be it tf2, cod or anything other than games. It's certainly not the best but neither is it the worst. Everyone in this community have been through the shit talk and bullying and whatever the term is called when they first stepped into competitive tf2, some more than others.

About being the last to get picked in a pug...to this day, I am still one of the last few to get picked or dont even get picked. Back then, I would have been depressed whereas now, I know that they picked the other guy over me cos he's a much better player than me. It all depends on who is in the pick list with you.

As to the people that are calling you names or mocking you in pugs for not doing anything, try not to take it at face value and be upset by it. Instead, try to reply to them if they could help. If they reply with helpful tips, good. If they reply with nothing good or dont reply at all, try to think about what you were doing in that pug where you screwed up or did badly in.

Im still trying to improve myself, just like you. Sometimes I wonder why I'm putting through with all of this, then I realise that eventhough there are assholes in the  community, there are always those few kind hearted souls that will help you out if you ask or let them. For example, spammah picked me and chrissy to play pocket and demo respectively. There were times where I didnt position myself properly or wasnt confident in myself or wasnt aggressive when i need to be but he told me to play properly, take charge and go aggro. At the end of the pugs with him as my medic, I asked him what I needed to improve on and he just said played with bigger balls. This might seem a little offensive, but again, dont take things to heart. Im known by friends as someone that lacks self-confidence so what he's trying to say is just to play more confidently. 

It helps to ask ard the ppl you played with in the pug about your performance and what can be improved. Dont be afraid to ask, the regulars or vets wont eat you up for asking. 

It really has been a quite difficult ride since I first started. Sure I got depressed at some points but I still wanted to play this game with my friends. If you want to play this game as much as I or any of us do, you will be able to pull through the remarks and mockings and finally be known as a decent/good player.

• Like 1

someone mentioned cs:go

haha " I moved into CS: GO simply because new players are embraced and accepted."

cs:go has a ranking system, such that people with similar skill levels play together, if a 4star ranked player played with a DMG or eagle... pretty darn sure there would be a fair amount of name-calling and complaints coming out from the higher skilled player.. any game with a "competitive" setting would have the same issues..

suck it up

grow a pair

• Like 1

lol
my first pug in 2012 went horrible cos i didnt know the rules and was from trading everyday and also spending hours on jump servers and mge servers so basically in pugs i was all aim no brains and most of the players in pugs were like div 1 (afc6 period)
also some should stop looking down on 13-15 year olds
also dlh you should pug in high level pugs more; if people rage at you say "sorry my bad" then learn from it; do that 1000 times and you will be flawless tada

• Like 2

tldr im scared of going to af.lan because im afraid i will get beaten up and set on fire by div 1s

• Like 1

tldr im scared of going to af.lan because im afraid i will get beaten up and set on fire by div 1s

Nothing will happen to you. All you have to do is give me a kiss!

-snip-

well said mate. this is a nice reminder to be more tolerant and welcoming to new players (we need this every now and then). all the best in CS!

Edited by Shounic
stop quoting massive walls
  • Like 2

I give "respect" to people like floaty, omega, nova, tormented, hedwig, and others alike whom are able to take the initiative at times to ask for advice and given advise, they try and improve almost immediately not even seeking approval of their improvement. They take criticism be it negative or positive as advice to better themselves. All in all, they understand that we do not wish for them to deprove but to improve  and thus "berate" them.

People like js who even as a "veteran" still ask for advice.

Even in the social circles of our community, the "veterans" do not necessarily give each other a fair time. People like rze who played demo once in a pug and throughout the whole game only ad 7 kills and died 29 times in the end. In fact, they all still get chided for making mistakes every once in a while still. The only difference being that they already know what mistake they made yet they still suck the critic up and play on.

In the end, what the fuck is respect for? I don't need the respect and silent approval of others to play my own game well.

Edited by rufus
  • Like 4

the asiafortress community sucks. no way around it except acceptance. the only advice I can give you OP is

WELCOME TO ASIAFORTRESS

#WAF

• Like 2

I just hope you had a more enjoyable experience in the last pug we had together yesterday mate =]

Thanks for using comms btw, nice to have em even in pugs ^^

• Like 2

Hello DLH!

I am also very new to the competitive scene, I also used to get raged by the veterans A LOT. There are indeed many short tempered veterans in the competitive scene, but if u really want to improve, i urge you to ignore them and keep the path in sight. (that was what shounic told me :D) All the best!

Sad to see certain community members have outgrown their shoes so fast and resorted to condescending and hurtful remarks

Yes im talking about you shounic, teejay, teddy to name a few. Yes you guys are friends but do remember your roots :) try to maintain a softer approach but dont overdo it

• Like 6