This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Morgan

A Very Serious Community Decision

I used to think the veterans of my day, many of them my lifelong friends now, were very detached/elite from the rest of the 'peasant' community. Until I got to know them and realized they were just people as well, probably in the same age group too. Some were regular people with outside lives and totally open to being befriended, others were complete pieces of fucking shit- either way undeserving of being placed on any weird online pedestal.

It is the same now, you just have to bother to socialize. And I don't mean adding people and never introducing yourself or starting a conversation ever, you're just setting yourself up to be deleted off friends. Any community needs, well, communication; but its rare to see any kind of interaction outside of the established cliques happening, especially not in mumble anymore with all the passworded channels. Its been a long time since anyone's gotten drunk and crashed a random channel to start a talk cock session at 4am.

In any case, AFL is not perfect- but take it from me its a far better place than it was before. The days where complaints were supressed/ignored and getting any positive change took maybe six months and an army. The days where elitism was far more rampant and you were solely judged/picked on your in-game skill rather than how not-retarded you are- you could get away with anything if you had the eye of the admins in your favour. The days where planning an event involved jumping through hoops after hoops of red tape and angkating so many bolas you have no idea. The days where pugs were total shit- oh wait they still are. Point being, naysayers have always been around (hi oster <3). You can join them or you can lend a hand to those still trying to sail this so-called failboat.

Blessed Christmas!

• Like 4

guys and to old players. When yelling we must have like a limit as well... its basically all the argument and all the swearing and cursing at each other that makes pugs more shit than it is.... Like i said at the start we not only need old players to be admins but we need some kind of admin for the new players from the new players itself...

Not serious talk: realized that i start playing tf2 earlier than most peeps and i still sick more than them

• Like 1

Its been a long time since anyone's gotten drunk and crashed a random channel to start a talk cock session at 4am.

cam... i think you've just been stuck in the army.. that happens frequently if nick has the token to your channel

If people want to play frying pans only or double sniper 1 heavy i don't think that belongs in a sixes server. Where do we draw the line? That belongs in a pub server, together with combat medic lol

just saying that as someone who plays about 2 nights a week with no opportunity to scrim, pugs are my only avenue of getting more srs gameplay

• Like 2

I think SakiIsa is reasonably connected to the newer players (Really nice guy too) and he's a new admin (gratz). 

<3 I lub you allll and hats too 8D

If people want to play frying pans only or double sniper 1 heavy i don't think that belongs in a sixes server. Where do we draw the line? That belongs in a pub server, together with combat medic lol

just saying that as someone who plays about 2 nights a week with no opportunity to scrim, pugs are my only avenue of getting more srs gameplay

This be true, though I personally only see this in an early morning game, my experience may differ. That being said I still think most people listen when you tell them that they are being ineffective ( or try to support them for a funny play then they change back after xD )

don't always expect the old players / veterans to approach you, the younglings themselves must take the initiative to talk them. I know people rage, who doesn't? don't distant yourself just because the person is an oldie, or an admin or whatever, everyone is the same.

the idea of this place is to communicate with the community.

More often than not, everyone receives abuse at some point. What distinguishes the mediocre from the greats is the level of maturity, the relentless desire to improve. Help yourself before you expect help from others.

• Like 2

More often than not, everyone receives abuse at some point. What distinguishes the mediocre from the greats is the level of maturity, the relentless desire to improve. Help yourself before you expect help from others.

Can I hug you? 

Haha saki it works sometimes but all i get nowadays is 'lel'

<_<

Call me, I'll bribe them with hats >D

Hehehe hi guys. I'm VERY VERY new to this community, only about 2 months. However i have pugged in AF servers a long time back because i was getting bored of pubs and wanted a challenge. However the veterans just scolded me all the way and told me to !sub. Indeed i was discouraged to pug from then on, but i didnt hate the people who told me to sub out and be like screw this community, instead look for my own mistakes and see where i can improve to avoid being scolded again in the future. A few months later, im back. Playing pugs actively and not getting scolded that often anymore! This community is... great. Admins are really kind IMO. Although im still very bad, i have a lot of fun playing pugs and improving myself.

P.S. Sakiisa iz gud m8.

• Like 3

Alright, I feel like I need to put in my two cents here because this seems an important issue.

I started TF2 late 2011, and it took me a year and about 300 hours before I decided to join one of these "6v6 things" and see what it was all about. I remember that first pug experience extremely well, and it was pretty much what Pewtis described.

First Impression = Shit

I didn't remember who was the vets back then, neither do i want to call names really, but i was so bad back then i was even considered cancerous and people tried to voteban me. I knew the system and everything, knew the standard class lineup etc, but i think it has something to do with me being at the bottom score with less than a 1/4 points that the guy above me. The second time i came in people were fighting for not having me in their team, let's just say i never came back for a year or so.

I followed a lot of the teammates' suggestions and was very open to doing as they asked, because I recognized I was a newbie and should take their advice, but despite being very cooperative, none of this was recognized by the players and they did nothing but curse and yell. I went back to pubbing and cursed the very idea of a competitive scene for many months afterwards.

Even all this time later with much more experience I still look at AF pugs with a minor distaste. I can play competently, and from time to time place near the top of scoreboards, but it never truly draws me in. Most of my friends are still players I meet in pubs who I find fun, and it's very rare for me to enjoy someone's company in a pug. Many people I've met and discussed the issue with also show similar opinions, that attempting to join the scene is a very stressful process and they'd much rather stick to throwing sandviches around in Thunder Mountain. What Fuzz pointed out after Pewtis shared his experience is very true, there are friendly mentors around willing to provide those open arms, but I never found out about that during my early hours, no one bothered to tell me, and all around it was a massively elitist atmosphere there.

I don't see much of it around myself anymore, probably because I can actually play decently now, but it always tugs at my heart every time I see a new player decide to participate in a pug but gets traumatized from the entire scene. Even now, the ultimate conclusion I've come to is that I enjoy the 6s game style quite a bit, but I don't much like the community to play it in.

To stave off some of the "omg fuq u AF is awesome noob who r u" comments I'll also note that I have met some very friendly players in these pugs, mostly the ones already mentioned above such as Fuzz, erio. But the problem is that such people lie far and few in between and this friendliness isn't openly actively encouraged as far as playing in the servers goes. Newbies aren't going to know to check the AF forums because they've only just come around to the idea of pugging, and when their first experience always goes as badly as it does they're not going to WANT to.

Offclassing has never been the problem, attitude has.

• Like 1

Offclassing has been a rampant problem, and imo people who play pugs are expected to know the minimum requirements, if not why would you bother joining a passworded server to fuck around?

Anyway I've seen this pattern since forever and let me assure you, newbies who think the world owes them a favour are just as at fault as the asshole pug regulars. Go play a cs pug or even a dota pub, and see how bad you get insulted for not knowing what to..

• Like 1

About the servers being passworded, I feel that the fault doesnt rely on the new players themselves but the ones who actually GIVE them the password.

Having experienced the asia pugging scene shldnt these people actually warn the new players of the possible expectations our elitists might have?  Shldnt these people show the new players the ropes first instead of letting them play a pug without any prior knowledge of sorts?

Its so hard to just remain calm when you see your teammates dying off one by one without reasoning, as if they are just like in a non-passworded pub going purely for frags which they possibly cant even get due to their sub-par dm at their current stage.

So to those new players who seem to get all "walao fuck u asiafortress elitists u all tink u so pw0 teach me first la then i can learn rite" (which seems to be a common attitude among these people), why not learn from those people who actually gave u the password lol.

-2 cents here i maybe wrong dont rape me 

• Like 1

So to those new players who seem to get all "walao fuck u asiafortress elitists u all tink u so pw0 teach me first la then i can learn rite" (which seems to be a common attitude among these people), why not learn from those people who actually gave u the password lol.

The problem with that argument is that it misses out that most newbies coming in aren't "brought in" by someone, they ask for the password from someone who they can get it from. Giving passwords out =/= willing to mentor, and if simple friendly steps to identifying newbies and pointing them in the right direction were taken, the situation would be worlds better.

The problem with that argument is that it misses out that most newbies coming in aren't "brought in" by someone, they ask for the password from someone who they can get it from. Giving passwords out =/= willing to mentor, and if simple friendly steps to identifying newbies and pointing them in the right direction were taken, the situation would be worlds better.

Yes but no one owes these people a living.

And why would you ask someone the password to a passworded server, emphasis on PASSWORDED, without knowing what to do. It's like going in to a something unknown completely blindfolded.

• Like 1

There are newbies who are competent in DM ability, and just need the right mindset and more experience to develop basic game sense to be able to perform in pugs.

There are also ultimate baddies who are incompetent in DM ability who flick rockets into the sky.

Bad DM + Bad Gamesense = Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddy

Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies are what fuels ultimate rage from their pug team who needs a truck to carry his meaningless deaths and lack of damage output.

I personally feel that Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies deserve to be raged at.

I don't feel like I need to be nice to Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies because they are coming into a passworded pug server when they are not even performing well in pubs.

Rage against S.S.U.B's are a sign for them to go practice more and watch more videos/demos/youtube before coming back with l33t aim.

I think nobody owes anybody a living, and I do not believe in a world where everybody is nice to everybody because we all know that is a load of bullshit.

Are you going to be nice to newbies and pick them into your pug team when you are a medic captain in order to give them a chance to learn and mentor them on the go, or are you going to pick known puggers whom you can rely on to win the game?

Nobody likes to lose, even in a public 6v6 competitive setting.

Remember, people rage at Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies not because they are BAD.

People rage at Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies because they are BURDENING their team when they are trying their best to win.

You can be BAD all day in your own corner as long as you don't cross the line and affect my time spent on a weekend afternoon trying to win pugs.

Ultimately, it is their own fault for being bad.

Yes, everyone was bad once.

But that doesn't mean Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies should be spoon-ed, cushioned, and have their balls carried by veterans who have come this far through blood, toil and sweat sitting in a chair in front of a computer.

S.S.U.B's can approach mentors separately for help and i'm sure they will not face the same rage as when they are burdening a pug.

Stop complaining about being on the receiving end of rage because nobody deserves a smile.

95 percent of smiles are fake anyway.

I made that up.

• Like 2

There are newbies who are competent in DM ability, and just need the right mindset and more experience to develop basic game sense to be able to perform in pugs.

There are also ultimate baddies who are incompetent in DM ability who flick rockets into the sky.

Bad DM + Bad Gamesense = Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddy

Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies are what fuels ultimate rage from their pug team who needs a truck to carry his meaningless deaths and lack of damage output.

I personally feel that Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies deserve to be raged at.

I don't feel like I need to be nice to Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies because they are coming into a passworded pug server when they are not even performing well in pubs.

Rage against S.S.U.B's are a sign for them to go practice more and watch more videos/demos/youtube before coming back with l33t aim.

I think nobody owes anybody a living, and I do not believe in a world where everybody is nice to everybody because we all know that is a load of bullshit.

Are you going to be nice to newbies and pick them into your pug team when you are a medic captain in order to give them a chance to learn and mentor them on the go, or are you going to pick known puggers whom you can rely on to win the game?

Nobody likes to lose, even in a public 6v6 competitive setting.

Remember, people rage at Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies not because they are BAD.

People rage at Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies because they are BURDENING their team when they are trying their best to win.

You can be BAD all day in your own corner as long as you don't cross the line and affect my time spent on a weekend afternoon trying to win pugs.

Ultimately, it is their own fault for being bad.

Yes, everyone was bad once.

But that doesn't mean Super Saiyan Ultimate Baddies should be spoon-ed, cushioned, and have their balls carried by veterans who have come this far through blood, toil and sweat sitting in a chair in front of a computer.

S.S.U.B's can approach mentors separately for help and i'm sure they will not face the same rage as when they are burdening a pug.

Stop complaining about being on the receiving end of rage because nobody deserves a smile.

95 percent of smiles are fake anyway.

I made that up.

This is why Aza is the best :D

On a serious note here.... I maybe considered Newbie in the 6s scene but I think i figure out why da heck the new players are trolling around so much. 

1. They like how the Vets over little things

2. Vets tend to curse at these newbies

And some ppl would say that the Vets have the right to do so cos the newbies arent listening or playing it right.... BUT NO!

Im sur everyone feels angry when the match isnt going ur way but why cant we all be a Saki and just say it nicely? A few pugs back, I think madman was scolding ppl (including me) for losing? If winning is so important den maybe tf2 isnt a game for u tbh... 

My point here is asking the Vets to be nicer to newbs since the generations below u guys have degenerated brains..... And if thats too much to ask for then this would be the downfall of AFL cos no one wants to be a nice guy.

THIS MESSAGE IS NOT MEANT TO MEAN ANYTHING ABOUT MADMAN! ITS JUST AN EXAMPLE! SO DONT GO THINKING DREAM HATES THIS GUY! I KNOW HOW MUCH HE HAS DONE FOR AFL! SO THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE. IT JUST SO HAPPEN THAT THIS HAPPENED TO ME. NOTHING MORE

MADMAN <3

p.s: If i get banned for this, i would say it was worth it.... this is a prob needed to be fixed

for new players change ur attitude also and recognize the Vets and stop trolling... even as new player for 6s i cant stand the amount of troll from you guys as well....

Peace out