This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Morgan

A Very Serious Community Decision

Dear Asiafortress community,

After a long intensive discussion with spammah this morning I have decided to give my input on the current state of Asiafortress. In respect of spammah’s advice and not so mild request I have decided to leave out most of my normal gusto and humor and speak on a more serious note. In the words of spammah I shall not be “snarky”. I hope you will take the time to read this very serious article and absorb the points I am trying to bring across.

I look back at Asiafortress just a year ago and there is a vast difference between the state of the community now and then. I admit though I have been absent for large portions of this year, I have actively followed the progress of Asiafortress as it is something I used to hold quite dear to me. Just a year ago we had an active community, there were numerous social events with great turnouts, a thriving competitive scene and a growing player base well mixed with experienced and amateur players alike.

Lets take a look at Asiafortress in the year 2012

1)      In the competitive scene we had the highest registration of teams every in the history of AFL. We also had throngs of newly formed teams with a generous mix of new and old players alike. We had three very competitive divisions and a great competiton. Likewise with the Mercs cup and various other competitions.

2)      In the social scene, Just last year we had Summers Barbecue, Beach Barbecue and Soccer outings. During these outings I met a lot of old and new faces alike. Cuteboy,pearbomb,synergy and spikycactus are just a few examples of new players who were integrated into the social community. We had a large influx of new players who were becoming actively involved with the community.

3)      The Pug/Casual Scene, Pugs were rampant. We actively had 3-4 servers running concurrently and people playing regularly till 4-5AM in the morning. Offclassing was common but relatively kept in check by the administrators.

Fast forward to December 2013 and lets observe where we are now. Objectively of course.

1)      1) In the competitive scene this year the standards of the competition was hilarious. Our latest AFL, Mercs cup and Ultiduo competition were ridiculed by almost everyone I spoke to. I don’t mean offense to anyone but im stating it how it is. The standard of the respective competitions and divisions were ridiculous to say the least. Most of the former top teams couldn’t even be bothered to actively participate.

2)      In the social scene, I have attended roughly 4-5 Asiafortress social events this year. Including Soccer, Paintball and Dinner. Of the events I have attended I have met 0 new players that I have never seen. I actually even met a player last week that last played tf2 in 2009. Talk about a friendship forged.

3)      The Pug/Casual Scene, The new pug system is in place which I must say is a vast improvement. Occasionally 2 servers are full. Game normally shuts down at 11pm.

Now Ive spent some time analysing on what could have caused this drastic a change in the space of less than a year. Ive come to the following conclusions which you may accept as you see fit or ignore it and be blissfully happy.

Players these days do not feel connected to the community they are playing with anymore. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. There is no more sense of pride or belonging to a majority of players and we have become basically a place they use the facilities of. No longer a community. No matter how dense one may be I do not think they can ignore this fact. You rarely see friends greeting each other in Pugs anymore ( Trolling not considered ). Neither do you see a very active scrimming community either. I believe this is one of the root problems existing in Asiafortress today.

The above has led to many side effects. Firsty we have seen a large portion of the “experienced” player base leave the community. This has led to a decline in the average skill level of the individual players. If you play with the camels you will play like a camel.

I also believe that the system of old WORKED. There was never a problem with the old system only a problem with a single individual who has since been forcibly removed from the scene. Having more Server administrators mingling day in and out helped to police the servers. It also created a connection between ASIAFORTRESS and the players with whom the players could interact with on a daily basis. You rarely see that anymore today.

I believe one recent catalyst that had a very great effect on the community was the recent removal of administrative powers from the old batch of admins. The new system or reporting this and that in forums etc merely complicates a very simple process. Step out of line and get punished.  I believe that the time left for Asiafortress to change before this community collapses is brief. A view that many others do share.

This is what I suggest you do.

1)      Bring back the server admins

2)      Simplify the rules so that it isn’t about guidelines or rules. Rather what is logical and in good spirit.

3)      Penalize those with a bad attitude and remove them from the community. They are a cancer.

4)      Listen to the people and the suggestions they make.

5)      Have a central administrator that can reverse the actions of normal admins if you want a level of accountability.

Below I have attached some of the current sentiments of some more familiar faces. I hope the community will take this as a wake up call. The problem lies not only in the administrators though that needs reform. But also every one of you who refuses to speak out, say their piece or make things happen. You are equally guilty for any problems as you have not attempted to solve them.

===========================================================

At first I had the names  of everyone giving the quotes. After that i decided to remove some of the names to minimize the drama.

Teal

It desperately needs staff but is too proud to take people in. Thinks that newer players are kids and hence, aren't good enough to help out. The Head admin wants to wash his hands off and stick to coding/programming. But then again, only he retains the powers to GIVE powers to people. So its a contradiction. There is no transparency at all, not to the community, not within the admins themselves. No internal communication and I have no idea what the admin team are doing. To summarize it feels that Asiafortress if Mao tze dong and we are his peasants. There is NO fun in Pugs anymore. Its Dead.

Spammah

8:48 PM - spammah: its in a good place

8:48 PM - spammah: just needs more staff to help out with its activities

nasty

8:55 PM - All-Father: hah

8:55 PM - All-Father: i dun like AF now luh

8:56 PM - All-Father: its like shit

shounic

8:57 PM - esp. shounic: I think asia fortress as a community is starting to, and learning to mature

8:58 PM - esp. shounic: the community as a whole seeems to be a lot of self aware and for the better

8:57 PM - ****: i got one word

8:57 PM - ****: SHIT

8:57 PM - oaueue: a few words

8:57 PM - oaueue: lol

8:57 PM - ****: x10

bran

8:57 PM - IX: would be better with more activities, and more transparent admins

abel

8:59 PM - littlelionman: i feel that the leadership now have little foresight.

rufus

To me, asiafortress is like an adolescent child. A community is defined by the common values of the people in it, pros and cons alike. What values do I see in asiafortress? There's no denying the competitiveness that we all have, as well as the "trolls" that we all can be. In that sense, it seems that asiafortress has missed something, that is to enjoy the gathering of friends with mutual goals, be it to get better at a game together or just to be able to enjoy it together. Of course that does not mean that there aren't glimpses of this in the community itself but I would say that there isn't enough due to segregation. Whatever the reasons for this, I don't feel that it really matters. In my opinion, it just boils down to what does the community of asiafortress want to create for themselves in the future, nothing more or less.

_____

10:23 PM - _____.: filled with stupid kids

Halu

10:28 PM - jihyo: In my opinion, AF has finally stepped on the right track with the help from different parties: admins, players, etc. as a player who started out playing tf2 and joining af since is very first start, I am more than happy to see it expanding in popularity. On the other hand, I think we still need more people with greater motivation if the community really wants to develop itself. Having admirable casting the afc 7 finals is a great move as in bringing the Asian scene to the globe. I am looking forward to seeing more changes in the upcoming future

&&&&

10:28 PM - &&&&: hmm
10:28 PM - &&&&: trying their best to keep the community afloat i guess

Summer

Asiafortress is taking earnest steps to improve on an whole. Even though admin decisions may not always be the best or the most efficient since everyone has different perspectives. The efforts from admins and server coding by nata is app laudable and though they have been accused of not being reasonable they have to do what they see fit.

Teddybar

10:56 PM - Teddybär. 1st time buy mouse: istalematey as no one (or very few) has risen to play at an acceptable/high level of play, resulting in substantially lowered standards in regular pug games

Erio

10:36 PM - erio: stagnant

=========================================================================

After all research I have come to a conclusion. The community thinks there needs to be change. I hope the administrative team will not be defensive but instead embrace those who are willing to help you. There is rarely any love for the community anymore. The best I have been able to garner is mild reluctance or approval. I think that while the administrative team is taking positive steps and working hard. There are lessons to be learnt here and I hope this will be the catalyst for change.
  • Like 3

I think many newer players (Not all) don't feel connected to AF, or feel that this is just a service that we can use. One of my close friends who also plays 6v6 told me that he feels the community as a whole is not needed. This is definitely not true. If we can get people to go for the events then maybe they can see that there IS a community, not just individuals playing the same game with little to no connection between one another. 

Looks like only time will tell if Morgan's post makes an impact.

Next event will probably be the Alienware Arena Lan Event, http://asiafortress.com/index.php/index.html/_/news/180114-save-the-date-r132 unless I'm mistaken.

• Like 1

I feel there is no fun in Asiafortress, the gap between the new and the old, there's no friendliness between them, the new ones are too scared, the old ones are too angry. there were so many times people asked me "can you help ask nata to unbanned me?" and when I asked them to tell him yourself, they go "I'm scared to approach him, you know him better, can you help me?" seriously, like as if I'm the community page, and I can't do anything either because I can't speak for them, it's not my responsibility to. they are scared to approach because oldies seems too unfriendly, I guess I understand how they feel as well but it's your fault because if you don't take the time to get to know them at all, what makes you think you can judge them.

I personally think it's stagnant, it's neither going up or going down. It needs staff but the right staff. It's growing, yes I'm glad about that, but if people can't reach you, then they are going to run away again. stagnant in skill wise, because oldies can't be bothered to train and newbies don't wanna listen to the oldies. it's like what's the point of saying "mentor me" but at the end of the day, you don't come back to them to get mentored. it's your initiative, not theirs, they know their shit, you don't. thus now, pugs are just... organized 6's pub, but it's also funny how those new people turned into ragey and arrogant sons of bitches with an ego the height of burj khalifa and they forgot who they were once they get better.

I guess, admins have to be transparent to a certain extent so that people can approach you. so many times people complain to me (I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHY THEY HAVE TO COME FOR ME FOR THIS) "just because they are admins, we must filter our words? we can't be ourselves and we must put them on a pedestal?" I guess I know why we have this issue. I'm not saying that you should lower your standards, its just that; I hope you guys know what are the reason or have a good enough reason why such actions are taken. as I quote someone "admins now just want people to suck their dick". you asked for opinions, but you don't listen to them.

when I was new, I like Asiafortress, I guess I was lucky that I entered during a time where I could still feel the feeling of playing with the oldies right before they decided to leave/quit/retired/get married.. whatever. I came everyday to pug, doesn't matter if I did good or bad, if I was gonna get scolded or not and god people were so ragey, but I guess because I had the drive to do better, I came anyway, and it wasn't cheap; because I had no computer at home, I had to go to a lan shop that cost $1.70 per hour, and I played for 5 hours straight on weekdays and 7 - 9 hrs every weekend. I like AF and I was glad I grew up here, so to see so much happening and listening to so much new people complaining and running away after a day or two at AF, makes me ask this qn, "whose fault is it?" we can't really blame anyone. the newbies wants to get spoonfed. once they get scolded, they run away, then after, complain to me why they are not good enough or the community is too ragey, "MAYBE when I come back when I get better" and I never heard from them since or see them in AF pugs. the oldies are just ragey, no patience at all. they expect everyone to know everything in just one day. "go back to AFA".

it's hard to filter between the two, the ones who wants to get better, and the ones who are just there to make your lives miserable, but don't close all doors, to those who put in effort, because goddamit these are the people who are going to bring up your community, the very community you built and hope to be something more. amongst the five, three are willing to learn and to those three, chase your mentors instead of wanting to be chased.

and puzzled said, we have soccer, barbeque, outings, etc.. come down, meet the people, it's not only for the oldies, especially the barbeque, we posts them publicly so that new member/players can come down, gather and get to know each other. it's a community thing. don't be scared. get drunk. confess your love to someone. have a laugh. play street fighter and get trash. who the hell cares.

and lastly, cu@LAN bitches.

• Like 4

The community has changed over the years since I've been around. Change is inevitable. It is how we deal with any form of change that counts. Although I may not be a competitive player, I have seen the drop in activity in pugs and there seem to be less competitions or side events to generate any form of interest.

This off-classing matter, is blown way out of proportion, in my opinion. Yes, I agree that rampant off-classing in pugs should not be encouraged and can be frowned upon. However, one must bear in mind that PUGS =/= SCRIMS. You cannot compare the two. A PUG is a place where people play a 6v6 casual game. A PUG should be a place that welcomes inexperienced players to a 6v6 format of teamplay in TF2. A PUG should not be treated like a SCRIM. Where else are newcomers to the competitive scene going to practice how to play in a 6v6 type game? I have seen comments whereby more experienced pug players have scolded/sarcastically commented to a relatively new player "to go play more pubs before coming back". First of all, pubs are a COMPLETELY different game style. I can play a scout fine in a pub server, but I can't scout for shit in a 6v6 game. Why? PUG players have very different game movements compared to PUB players. A new player should be welcomed to play in a pug, no matter how shitty he/she is, because practice makes perfect right? Just because some people have more experience than others, DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO FLAUNT YOUR E-PEEN. Just because some people think that you've got skill, does not mean you should look down on people who are trying to be better at the game. If anything, older players should encourage newer players to keep at it. The newer players (and even some older ones) should also learn to be humble and accept constructive criticism. There is also AFA, which is a place for new players WHO ARE KEEN AND WILLING TO LEARN.

Bear in mind that the 6v6 recommended classes are only recommendations. They are not compulsory classes. There is nothing wrong with off-classing as an alternative measure to win a match. Of course if you off-class for an entire match and do nothing, then chances are your team mates are going to request that you play the recommended class. But give the player a chance to prove himself/herself  before completely writing the notion off. If TEAM B were to run a heavy at the last point, would it not be a smart move for TEAM A to run a sniper to deal with the heavy? And if TEAM B realizes that running a heavy is not going to work because TEAM A has a sniper, would it also not be a smart move for TEAM B to run a spy to deal with said sniper? In a different situation, if the only player left standing in the defending team realizes that players on the attacking team are all low and approaching the final cap point, would it not be a smart move to play as a pyro to airblast them away from the point or set them all on fire in hopes to buy time for another team mate to spawn and help? Maybe my opinions for pug scenarios won't be taken seriously because I'm not a regular, but I really do not see off-classing being an issue in ALL situations.

Another thing I have noticed is that a PUG can run a lot more smoothly if there were regular voice communication between players. However, for some reason, no one seems to want to use their in-game mic to make calls for the benefit of their team. Instead they use the in-game mic to scold fellow team mates for "sucking". Where's the logic in that?

If you are hankering to play a serious 6v6 match, then form a team and look up the list of scrim teams available in the community. http://asiafortress.com/index.php/scrim_6s.html

But don't come complaining that there are "no serious players" in the community when the fact is you're too pussy to play a team because you don't want to lose. Learn to accept and learn from your mistakes. Rework your team formation/game plan. Try it out by playing more scrims. Observe your opponents' strengths and weaknesses. Try to counter them. Don't be afraid to lose. Learn to lose graciously. Be less egoistic and more open to constructive criticism. PLAY FAIR.

There also has to be more transparency between the admins and the rest of the community. Maybe putting up a list of admins and links to their steam profiles would help everyone know who's who and what roles they play. I agree with Puzzled's point of having more server admins. Nata, you can't control everything. Just because one particular idiot thought that having admin powers made him a God, does not mean that every other server admin at that point in time thought the same.

Lastly, stop complaining to everyone and anyone about problems in the community and lurk in the damn forums. If you have something to say, say it. Grow a pair, speak your mind and at the VERY LEAST let yourself be heard. Is it not sad that Puzz had to go round asking people for their opinions so that he could HELP YOU SAY WHAT YOU SHOULD BE EXPRESSING YOURSELF? Is it then not surprising that people complain that there is no bond in the community? When everyone is talking behind everyone else's back instead of being upfront? Even if there is drama in the forums, so be it. At least those people care enough to say what they have to say.
  • Like 2

I can't compare; I've only been here since the start of 2013. I can't complain; I've experienced a minimal amount of flak as a girl. But what I can do is comment, and comments are merely comments. You might agree or disagree, but what I have to say comes from the heart.

I came into AF with 80 hours of Tf2 at the beginning of the year, so I'm not sure how things were before, with many of the "older" players around. I'm not sure what the 'community' used to be like, and I'm not sure I've actually gotten a picture of a community at all. Maybe it's my fault because I'm an introvert and I generally shun social events. But mostly what I've seen is exclusive clusters of shifting egos. There is hardly a community because our congregation of players judges too easily.

It's not only veterans that rage at the new players (of course, it is imperative to pause and concede that there are, increasingly, veterans who do consciously try to help, and not just say that they wish to), but the newer players judge each other as well. I've been told that it's a quintessential part of a competitive scene, that people are bound to be competitive and judgmental and hot-blooded. If AF were merely a competitive scene, there wouldn't have been so much blood and spit over the whole issue of a community from everyone because - definitely a part of us, deep down, cares. If AF were merely a competitive scene, all the inhumane judgments would be okay, but luckily, it seems to go beyond a mere competitive scene.

If you guys want to see a community form, stop being so narrow minded and bristling and taking offence at every little hairball that goes down your throat. To avoid making generalisations, some veterans (a majority or minority? I'm glad to be able to say that it's becoming more of the latter) judge newbies for their shabby skill levels, and send the message, though subtly and perhaps sub-consciously, that these newbies will never become like themselves because they are too lousy - but let me tell you, nobody plays badly on purpose; if so, they wouldn't return to PUGs more than once to take your crap. Everybody tries, if you give them enough time - so why believe the worst in people without giving them a chance? 

Fine, if you guys want to judge based on skill level I guess that's normal, it's a way for us to improve and help each other - if only we actually did that; you criticise someone for doing stupid things, but do you ever commend him for overcoming that mistake? No, we go on to judge each other based on other things. I've had people taking offence at a simple "fuck you" typed into team chat, for the way I sound and talk, for little flaws and imperfections; have you ever paused to think; are you fucking perfect? HELL NO. And if you aren't, nobody's perfect, so quit judging people left right and center and learn to tolerate, accept and love. And this is not only seen in veterans with their egos that make them giants walking on mosquito legs. Newbies judge each other too, and it's something I really can't stand. Why be so unforgiving? You're not much better than them either. And if you think you can do a better job, help them instead.

People might come in at this point and say, they don't wish to help themselves, and they're ingrateful and unserious about it, and they don't improve themselves. Well, so be it - doesn't harm you, does it? Constant trolls will naturally be shunned by the community (natural medic selections); doesn't mean you have to be snobbish and judgemental about everyone you meet.

Maybe the older players were like this too, I don't know - but I'm not here to compare. You want a community, you make sure you have a fucking heart to build one. It's not just a numerical entity - like the number of players, number of teams, number of people turning up at events. It manifests in the way you treat the people you meet in it, because remember - THEY'RE FUCKING PEOPLE and not just names and pixels on screens that feed you your high-in-the-clouds frag score. It's not just about getting better, or increasing the skill level, but motivating and helping those that are below you, rather than putting them down and judging everyone you meet. It's not about adjusting the level of rage, but examining where the rage comes from; if it comes from a good, patient, but disappointed heart, so be it - it means a lot more than rage from a cold, judgemental 'community' that, out of nowhere, calls you a 'noob', a 'lousy medic' or even a 'slut'. And you need to make sure it comes from the right place, because then people will be able to tell. Communicate it through actions too.

You want a community, you need to have the right heart. You want increasing skill level, you need to judge from the right attitude. You want smoother servers, you need to trust and be ready to give people the benefit of doubt. Basic respect, both ways (vet to newb and vice versa) will help you see a community.

Nevertheless, AF is my home in TF2; no other 6s servers cut it. Is it the efficient plugins? Is it the familiar weapons whitelist? Is it the way we rollout? Is it the people who play in the servers? I'm not sure; but I accept it, for all its flaws and bugs, and there're always good things to look out for, good people to be grateful for, and good games to hope for. No matter the negativity surrounding it, I do hope it improves, and gets more enjoyable for the people in it - the community.

• Like 4

I can't compare; I've only been here since the start of 2013. I can't complain; I've experienced a minimal amount of flak as a girl. But what I can do is comment, and comments are merely comments. You might agree or disagree, but what I have to say comes from the heart.

I came into AF with 80 hours of Tf2 at the beginning of the year, so I'm not sure how things were before, with many of the "older" players around. I'm not sure what the 'community' used to be like, and I'm not sure I've actually gotten a picture of a community at all. Maybe it's my fault because I'm an introvert and I generally shun social events. But mostly what I've seen is exclusive clusters of shifting egos. There is hardly a community because our congregation of players judges too easily.

It's not only veterans that rage at the new players (of course, it is imperative to pause and concede that there are, increasingly, veterans who do consciously try to help, and not just say that they wish to), but the newer players judge each other as well. I've been told that it's a quintessential part of a competitive scene, that people are bound to be competitive and judgmental and hot-blooded. If AF were merely a competitive scene, there wouldn't have been so much blood and spit over the whole issue of a community from everyone because - definitely a part of us, deep down, cares. If AF were merely a competitive scene, all the inhumane judgments would be okay, but luckily, it seems to go beyond a mere competitive scene.

If you guys want to see a community form, stop being so narrow minded and bristling and taking offence at every little hairball that goes down your throat. To avoid making generalisations, some veterans (a majority or minority? I'm glad to be able to say that it's becoming more of the latter) judge newbies for their shabby skill levels, and send the message, though subtly and perhaps sub-consciously, that these newbies will never become like themselves because they are too lousy - but let me tell you, nobody plays badly on purpose; if so, they wouldn't return to PUGs more than once to take your crap. Everybody tries, if you give them enough time - so why believe the worst in people without giving them a chance? 

Fine, if you guys want to judge based on skill level I guess that's normal, it's a way for us to improve and help each other - if only we actually did that; you criticise someone for doing stupid things, but do you ever commend him for overcoming that mistake? No, we go on to judge each other based on other things. I've had people taking offence at a simple "fuck you" typed into team chat, for the way I sound and talk, for little flaws and imperfections; have you ever paused to think; are you fucking perfect? HELL NO. And if you aren't, nobody's perfect, so quit judging people left right and center and learn to tolerate, accept and love. And this is not only seen in veterans with their egos that make them giants walking on mosquito legs. Newbies judge each other too, and it's something I really can't stand. Why be so unforgiving? You're not much better than them either. And if you think you can do a better job, help them instead.

People might come in at this point and say, they don't wish to help themselves, and they're ingrateful and unserious about it, and they don't improve themselves. Well, so be it - doesn't harm you, does it? Constant trolls will naturally be shunned by the community (natural medic selections); doesn't mean you have to be snobbish and judgemental about everyone you meet.

Maybe the older players were like this too, I don't know - but I'm not here to compare. You want a community, you make sure you have a fucking heart to build one. It's not just a numerical entity - like the number of players, number of teams, number of people turning up at events. It manifests in the way you treat the people you meet in it, because remember - THEY'RE FUCKING PEOPLE and not just names and pixels on screens that feed you your high-in-the-clouds frag score. It's not just about getting better, or increasing the skill level, but motivating and helping those that are below you, rather than putting them down and judging everyone you meet. It's not about adjusting the level of rage, but examining where the rage comes from; if it comes from a good, patient, but disappointed heart, so be it - it means a lot more than rage from a cold, judgemental 'community' that, out of nowhere, calls you a 'noob', a 'lousy medic' or even a 'slut'. And you need to make sure it comes from the right place, because then people will be able to tell. Communicate it through actions too.

You want a community, you need to have the right heart. You want increasing skill level, you need to judge from the right attitude. You want smoother servers, you need to trust and be ready to give people the benefit of doubt. Basic respect, both ways (vet to newb and vice versa) will help you see a community.

Nevertheless, AF is my home in TF2; no other 6s servers cut it. Is it the efficient plugins? Is it the familiar weapons whitelist? Is it the way we rollout? Is it the people who play in the servers? I'm not sure; but I accept it, for all its flaws and bugs, and there're always good things to look out for, good people to be grateful for, and good games to hope for. No matter the negativity surrounding it, I do hope it improves, and gets more enjoyable for the people in it - the community.

This. This, my friends is the true meaning of Christmas.

• Like 5

Before this thread turns into a heart warming, tear jerking, thought inspiring, ball scratching, cum guzzling reminder that we should all play nice...

I will first declare my two thumbs up to the above expressed sentiments.

Even though these emotions have been expressed long before by different people using different words, the fact that these same pleas for a kinder and more pleasant community show that people are still reasonable and they do care.

More importantly, I think the most urgent issue to address is the lack of an accountable and definitive voice.

adolf-hitler-salute.jpg

Dictator or not, we need a leader.

6598228651913514099.jpg

For non-mandarin speaking friends, here is translation.

21-shangliang.jpg

That being said, I don't mean to insinuate that our current admins are incompetent and unable to carry out their duties.

No, I am not blatantly stating that they are incompetent and unable to carry out their duties either.

However, for all things to run smoothly, there is a need for a decision maker who can get things done like my man Hitler.

That's right, I think we need an end game boss who is feared and respected.

cloudvssephiroth.gif

Or we could remain status quo.

ThreeMusketeers_Bluray_CoverArt_small.jp                                      ThreeStooges.jpg

It is not an easy job being an admin, especially when the community scrutinizes with such piercing glares at every decision and potential mistake that may be born as a result.

If it were up to me, I'd ban anyone who dares speak up in my presence.

2Fm5Z6W.jpg.png

Rawr.

All jokes aside, good effort admins! Mistakes are mistakes but effort is effort as well! Also, I urge everybody to disregard my opinion and seriously consider Puzzled's suggestion. I do not agree with him entirely, but everyone should at least take a sip of his wall of text and swirl it around the tongue for abit.

P.S. I have said absolutely nothing except for everyone reading this to read Puzzled's post but if you are here it means you would have already read his post so my post is entirely pointless and redundant but you can go read his post again just to make sure you understand it properly and then read mine and realize I have said absolutely nothing again.

• Like 3

While the rest of the admins are still reading, I want to say regardless of your opinion, showing your opinion to us matters. Thanks to everyone who has typed us a wall!

• Like 1

We need someone who is a good leader from the so called "scrubs" technically that person doesnt need to be good at the game. All he needs to be is be able to bond the 2 different divs together so that the young players can learn better from the old players instead of cower in fear of the old players. Also to the new players, we need to grow bigger balls and talk thru the mic :D just socialize wif some old players :D

Hi I am new and I lub you all :D

I don't know too much about the past people, but without a doubt I am, was and still am enjoying AF very very much. As a community I hope there's more fun to be had :D

P.s. Tharnos4president \(*.*)/

This is what I suggest you do.

1)      Bring back the server admins

2)      Simplify the rules so that it isn’t about guidelines or rules. Rather what is logical and in good spirit.

3)      Penalize those with a bad attitude and remove them from the community. They are a cancer.

4)      Listen to the people and the suggestions they make.

5)      Have a central administrator that can reverse the actions of normal admins if you want a level of accountability.

tldr, yes; especially the part: "it isn't about guidelines or rules. Rather what is LOGICAL AND IN GOOD SPIRIT".

I started pugging January this year so I guess I'm kind of new. 

I agree with Misfit about the off-classing. 
I may not be as experienced about this as everyone else is, but from what I can gather, off-classing is a way to achieve a goal differently or to catch the enemy team off-guard. Off-classing in my honest opinion, is seriously helpful in times but in this community, it's treated as if it's a plague. I applaud players like Panda (Not Chromatose) who off-class regularly, regardless of what admins might do to him. I think unnecessarily off-classing should not be an immediate bannable offence. Just because someone uses Spy or Sniper to mid, doesn't mean that they should be banned immediately.

I once brought this up with someone and mentioned that in the North American/European scene, off-classing happens much more frequently than in Asia. The response this person gave was that 'they knew how to off-class properly' and we didn't. I almost laughed at this answer. How do people get better at something? They practice it. In pugs. So they can put it to good use in scrims and matches. But here in the Asian scene, I feel that every single time I off-class, whether I get picks or not, I feel like I'm walking a tightrope and the admins are standing off to the side with ban hammers at the ready. I feel horribly uncomfortable at times when I off-class but this shouldn't be the case. 

I used to get warned a lot by admins who were on the enemy team, to stop playing sniper. I'm not going to name any names but this was bloody annoying. Getting picks regularly but I was told "You're not the next Xilver, just stop off-classing". And then I was warned that I was going to be banned if I didn't stop. What else could I do? If my own team was telling me to stop off-classing, that would be completely fair and I would listen. But the enemy team shouldn't have a right to voteban or votekick someone who is off-classing. Just doesn't seem fair and seems to kill the whole mood in pugs sometimes. 

• Like 1

A) I once brought this up with someone and mentioned that in the North American/European scene, off-classing happens much more frequently than in Asia. The response this person gave was that 'they knew how to off-class properly' and we didn't. I almost laughed at this answer. How do people get better at something? They practice it. In pugs. So they can put it to good use in scrims and matches. But here in the Asian scene, I feel that every single time I off-class, whether I get picks or not, I feel like I'm walking a tightrope and the admins are standing off to the side with ban hammers at the ready. I feel horribly uncomfortable at times when I off-class but this shouldn't be the case. 

B) I used to get warned a lot by admins who were on the enemy team, to stop playing sniper. I'm not going to name any names but this was bloody annoying. Getting picks regularly but I was told "You're not the next Xilver, just stop off-classing". And then I was warned that I was going to be banned if I didn't stop. What else could I do? If my own team was telling me to stop off-classing, that would be completely fair and I would listen. 

I agree with omega on the 1st point A, I enjoy off classing whenever I get the chance in pugs. I think I have improved and without the chances I had to practice my alternate classes I wouldn't be half as efficient as I sometimes am of late. I never had to walk the tight rope of admins telling me not to off class for some reason, but I hear it again and again from newer players pinging me on steam. Outside of the game's meta if people feel that off classing will get them in trouble I think there's something severely wrong with that aspect.

I recently played a pug with a new one that shall remain unnamed, he loved to off class but was not effective. We had 3 down and enemy pushed with a full team he wanted to off class on gran last.

I answered "please don't play sniper now it's not the right time"

To this young one he replied something quite interesting for me:

"Why? o.o Explain please"

I'm not sure if he heard my answer as he didn't use voice after that, but he did not play sniper.

Some people want to improve, I surely was and still am one of them. In the same way we talk about airplanes:

945189_10202646771351432_2038251616_n.jp

b ) I am hoping that the situation in question was a one time thing from just one player. Because those are the lines that are destructive in someone's attempt to try something. I may not have had that happen to me , but sure as hell that's off.

How we can improve it I'm not perfectly sure from the top of my head. But I think those that ask and are willing to improve definitely will try

6598228651913514099.jpg

For non-mandarin speaking friends, here is translation.

21-shangliang.jpg

I dont get the how the picture of the man and the kid taking photos of the women is relevant to the idiom. Can someone explain? :D

I dont get the how the picture of the man and the kid taking photos of the women is relevant to the idiom. Can someone explain? :D

The father is setting a terrible example, the son follows in his footsteps ;)

• Like 1