This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Dream

Bringing Back The Compulsory Requirement To PUGs: Mumble

Well, Hi :D

I've been missing from the competitive road for about a year and when i got back there wasn't the need for the mumble in pickups anymore. I thought that i was ok at first til my in-game voice chat broke so how and valve isn't replying to my ask for help.

And I'm fed up that i can't comm wif my team in pickups. I try my best to type everything and it can be quite difficult. And some players don't really comm with the rest of the team until they get blame and it can be quite a heated argument at times. I think making it compulsory for one to be in the mumble would be good. Those that aren't shud be sub out or something (suggestion)

Reasons that i have come up that bring this back would benefit the players:

1. It would help with the communication from a player to another

2. Mumble has the fade out effect that makes hearing the voices much better

Again this is a suggestion. I might sound kinda one sided but im just tired since im doing this in the early mornings :3

• Like 1

the issue isn't really the concept of it but the execution of it. People aren't arsed enough to join mumble. One pug I play with cuteman and bait and we asked everyone on our team to join us in mumble, (hint: only the three of us were in mumble for the pug).

If you all really want compulsory mumble need you all to cooperate with us.

This ideology works more in mixes then the pugs here I'm afraid.

Back in the lowyat mix we mods also forced it as a requirement but since everyone knew each other and were teaching stuffs it was easier.

Shounic is right when he says most people aren't arsed, but peeps that know each other are often found with mumble comms in their own respective mumble channels. The amount of subbing and replacing doesn't help too much either

there is this thing called mumble discipline that a lot of people don't have (noisy mics, bg noise). how would you suggest that be handled?

• Like 2

well, if whitelist works :D make it the same? that they have to go into mumble in order to play the pug?

Technically the whitelist results in no smurt/alts but the same players right? doesn't the same problem persist? :o

If its to be done, it needs to be made easy. People are lazy or have problems alt tabbing to switch channels/finding the right channels.

But first, do the rest of the players want this? How do you guys wanna decide?

And what about the number of people voting? We usually have less than 20 votes when we run polls. Yet we have a lot more people playing in the servers that don't even participate in the forums here so their voices are unheard. This is going to affect them too. I think this is a bigger problem to solve than the lack of mumble in pugs atm.

How would you even whitelist people by mumble channel/server?

Even if you could, that's probably not a great idea for two reasons: One, it doesn't ensure the people who join will communicate in the first place; two, it simply adds another barrier of entry that really doesn't need to be there.

Like nata, I feel that this is indicative of a more complicated issue. While in-game comms are not optimal, using them during PuGs is probably miles better than making mumble mandatory via a whitelist.

• Like 1

regardless I feel if anyone's playing in a 'higher level' pug try to get as many people in mumble as possible, hopefully we do this enough and people will just naturally go mumble. who knows?

like even in the "high" lvl pugs no one is using comms.... not even the in game voice chat.... and when the guy who gets killed b the leak has to shoulder all the blame for not killing the leak

Honestly this has to stop cos the so called high lvl players really make the lower gen players really want to quit comp. Example would be me.... Yes i have screw ups but maybe if someone said bout leaks on comms no one would need to die right?

To make it short: not even high lvl players such as mel uses comms if im not wrong

I comms in game even if no one replies me (forever alone I geddit) but whats interesting is that even if u comms alone there are people who would listen to you or reply you (by typing). I think what is more challenging is to hear for shots etc and then assist whenever/locate team. Take it as though u r playing in a LAN. I dunno, its v difficult to enforce mumble so instead of making this compulsory within the community, I'd rather you challenge yourself to listen to in game sounds, watch the kill feed (your roamer/scout goes down you should instantly know that there has been a leak or a certain area they are guarding has been compromised) and play accordingly. Game awareness will improve as well.

• Like 1

Im pretty damn certain it's specific people not whether their skill lv is high in terms of comms.

I know I'm a loud d3rp erryday regardless of who I play with for a start, spammahs great too XD

• Like 1