This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
blurr

120hz Monitor and cl_cmdrate/cl_updaterate/fps_max

Hey guys, I don't plan on getting a 120hz monitor anytime soon, but out of curiosity, which one of the settings above should be changed in order to have optimal hit-reg on it?

cl_updaterate 66

cl_cmdrate 66

cl_interp 0.01

cl_interp_ratio 1

fps_max 300

-refresh 75 -freq 75 (in Advanced launch options)

Heya blur :D

Well to begin with hitreg is to do with your net settings so if you already have been using a config that works for you and have a stable connection then there's nothing you really will need to change there.

(The monitor will be displaying your game differently but this has nothing to do directly with hitreg, more of your 'perception' of hitreg so to speak)

You will however notice now that you are seeing more frames is that some models/enemies seem to used to have moved smoothly but now do their scout jumps and the like with small little warps, this is easily sorted by raising your interp a few noches to produce a smoothed over model (though not as perfectly accurate to the server).

fps_max is a preference and there's no real reason to set it to any value unless you're attempting to stop your cpu from doing too much work and wanna watch the temps.

Spammah is knowledgable to note the freq/refresh launch option but that's kind of incorrect (no offense spammah :D) because

1) The command he has chosen to set to 75hz which is not the frequency you will be using (120 innit? )

2) The command is actually benign as TF2 will automatically use the highest refresh rate supported by your monitor at intended resolution provided your graphics card options have not said otherwise.

Hope this is somewhat helpful mate :D

• Like 1

Heya blur :D

Well to begin with hitreg is to do with your net settings so if you already have been using a config that works for you and have a stable connection then there's nothing you really will need to change there.

(The monitor will be displaying your game differently but this has nothing to do directly with hitreg, more of your 'perception' of hitreg so to speak)

You will however notice now that you are seeing more frames is that some models/enemies seem to used to have moved smoothly but now do their scout jumps and the like with small little warps, this is easily sorted by raising your interp a few noches to produce a smoothed over model (though not as perfectly accurate to the server).

fps_max is a preference and there's no real reason to set it to any value unless you're attempting to stop your cpu from doing too much work and wanna watch the temps.

Spammah is knowledgable to note the freq/refresh launch option but that's kind of incorrect (no offense spammah :D) because

1) The command he has chosen to set to 75hz which is not the frequency you will be using (120 innit? )

2) The command is actually benign as TF2 will automatically use the highest refresh rate supported by your monitor at intended resolution provided your graphics card options have not said otherwise.

Hope this is somewhat helpful mate :D

Thanks for he explanation, it helped a lot :)

Hi Sakiisa, my information is not incorrect :). OP has stated he is NOT getting a 120 hz monitor anytime soon (idk why he had to mention that in the first place anyway). Therefore I have recommended 75hz which most monitor panels should be able to handle these days.

Also, the 'Preferred refresh rate' in control panel is by default set to 'Application-controlled' hence why I mentioned -freq and -refresh in my initial post.

blurr, also make sure you've got Vertical Sync turned to 'Force off'.

Hi Sakiisa, my information is not incorrect :). OP has stated he is NOT getting a 120 hz monitor anytime soon (idk why he had to mention that in the first place anyway). Therefore I have recommended 75hz which most monitor panels should be able to handle these days.

Also, the 'Preferred refresh rate' in control panel is by default set to 'Application-controlled' hence why I mentioned -freq and -refresh in my initial post.

blurr, also make sure you've got Vertical Sync turned to 'Force off'.

I see!

I do agree that on a standard LCD of late that 75 hz is most definitely a common standard and was referring to the context in which should he obtain a monitor then of course 120 would be used.

Yes, it is indeed application controlled however I quote chris on this launch option:

The frequency used is, by default, the same as used at the desktop.

It is however harmless to add in, I simply worry that if one day Valve allows the refresh rate command to allow rates out of range of the monitor, our poor LCDs would suffer D:

Though yes I agree with your logic good spammah :D

(totally not because i am poor and cannot afford 120hz)

Precisely why I am running 140 on my free CRT instead ;)

I'd like to point out that leaving your FPS uncapped, or capped above a stable framerate is the complete opposite of optimal, if you're looking for a well-synced game. One reason is because an uncapped framerate is highly unlikely to be stable, and the second reason is in the post quoted below

http://asiafortress....dpost__p__26441

The only addendum to the above post I can think of would be to say that if you're really paranoid about having everything(netcode, physics, rendering, AND monitor refresh rate) in sync, you could theoretically use these settings assuming you have a 120Hz monitor:

fps_max 120(or 240 if it's stable)

rate 100000

cl_cmdrate 60

cl_updaterate 60

cl_interp 0.015

cl_interp_ratio 2

The above settings would ensure that a network packet is sent and received on alternate frames, and alternate monitor refreshes, giving you the most synchronised input(keyboard/mouse) and output(monitor)

The crux of my argument is this:

The more rigidly you cap your framerate to match netcode, the less useless information your game has to "make up" to send to your display, and the more in-sync that information will be with your netcode(and display if you match it right).