welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
harm

pug life

just some thoughts.

some of our veteran guys have been organising afa's for awhile now, and that's great. i just feel that instead of one off events each time, this could be an everyday thing.

how's this possible? during pugs.

that's the best way to improve the new wave of players. just by having 1 or 2 vets on each team talking would help the team a lot already, this way the new guys won't be so lost, and hopefully they'd pick up on the reasons for calls made; and in turn understand the importance of talking to each other. (voice cmd is more than enough for pugs)

it's up to the vets to see how much they want to explain their comms, whether to say, "get back already" or "get back, positions are bad, they have better uber". micro mgmt would also help, e.g telling your scouts to push flank as you push choke, or telling the team that they're defending last and not to push out.

pugs happen on a daily, and communicating each time, over time, would defo improve the pug scene and in turn the 6s community. there's no point being frustrated with the new kids in pugs if you don't bother communicating with them. and having small groups of mentor/mentees is quite honestly a waste of time, or rather an inefficient way to do things. why help 1-2 when you can infect the minds of so many every time you pug.

i understand that at the end of the day pugs are pugs. the mentality of most vets(or at least myself) is, i already have a team, i comms when i scrim, and i pug to relax. but in order to have more teams/scrims in the community, newer players will have to learn the game quicker, and the best way is thru teaching them in pugs.

i know i haven't been actively comming in pugs till late, and sometimes i just want to listen to music and unwind while playing; but i'm trying my best now to help out the best way i can.

• Like 7

I try and call or tell newer players what/what not to do when I remember to, but that isn't every time, and I think that's how it is with a lot of people as well. I think the main problem is that most people just don't like calling or mentoring during PuGs because you have to balance that with your own awareness and death-matching ability.

You do admittedly have people just complaining rather than providing any useful advice, but eh.

• Like 1

agree with harm.

both things can be done concurrently i suppose.

vets can comm in pugs, small group mentor/mentees... not mutually exclusive and having these two ideas ongoing at the same time can only help the community.

sounds good!

another question will be how many of them will listen or even take it as "constructive criticism", tbh i see 75% of them just thinking that the guy calling is just a cocky smartass and ignore or just do the exact opposite..

• Like 1

I try and call or tell newer players what/what not to do when I remember to, but that isn't every time, and I think that's how it is with a lot of people as well. I think the main problem is that most people just don't like calling or mentoring during PuGs because you have to balance that with your own awareness and death-matching ability. You do admittedly have people just complaining rather than providing any useful advice, but eh.

yeah, same. i'm trying to do it more frequently. it's just tiring when you seem to be talking to yourself the whole way through.

isnt awareness, dm and comms a whole package though? pugs should be called mixed scrims instead.

i guess the complaining part is due to people on different levels, more experienced players just refuse to comprehend certain actions new players do. and that's understandable. i've had a period of constant scrims, and then suddenly that 1 pug just blew my mind. like, why isn't anyone helping each other. why would you see your scout run pass into battle and you just run away? and this is because there are others that don't have teams, no scrim exp, don't know what to do.

what we need is more empathy.

mamamia, "patient is virtue"

• Like 1

another question will be how many of them will listen or even take it as "constructive criticism", tbh i see 75% of them just thinking that the guy calling is just a cocky smartass and ignore or just do the exact opposite..

there are people like that everywhere. just try to make the best out of each pug combi i guess. starting with that 25%.

• Like 1