welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
erio

TF2 LAN COMPETITION POLL

TF2 LAN COMPETITION POLL  

43 members have voted

1. 1. participate in lan compy walaolei?

okay, so after heated conversation between a few of us, we decided that maybe we hold a TF2 LAN COMPETITION. so before I begin on doing anything further.. I need to run a poll for all you lovely people to know how many people are actually interested in lan. it will be in singapore, and all of you, regardless of age are most welcome to participate. organizing this is also for the young boys and girls to experience the LAN experience that you probably never had one before. so, I really do hope you guys can participate and make it happen for asiafortress because we are bunch of very bored adults.

• Like 1

is there even a need for a poll?

Not really... I guess it's something to show nata; Convince him that the SG TF2 scene is really strong (Over 9000, nearly OP, should be nerfed but can't be)

is there even a need for a poll?

Not really... I guess it's something to show nata; Convince him that the SG TF2 scene is really strong (Over 9000, nearly OP, should be nerfed but can't be)

HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHACOUGHJUNE152011COUGHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Like 1

HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHACOUGHJUNE152011COUGHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I don't understand. I'm really blur. Don't leave me out of the joke.

Please.

Please.

PLEASE.

TF2 Masters LAN 2011

No, Masters was 11 Sep 2011 and, relatively speaking, a huge success. It was a LAN that was a defining moment in many of our TF2 careers. If the community can come together and organize something as well planned as that (a logistics nightmare btw: configs, match placements, time slots, hardware, prizes etc) then it will be a 110% awesome event.

But wanting something and being capable of something isn't the same. If you want anything to be a success you have to start from the forum archives, look at every event run; everything from its rules to its vision what did it do right and wrong. Most of all look at the kind of hate leaders receive time and time again (for starters I've given you one example date already, find out what happened) and ask yourself if you can deal with that.

I'm not saying the community hasn't changed since then. I'm saying whatever its changed into- its still full of selfish shitdicks.

Also most teams can't even show up to a virtual place to play a virtual game without being 30 minutes late.

You want people to show up at a LAN on time with all their configs and HUDs ready and working?

OtoyaReactionFace.jpg

If I still haven't changed your mind then good you're just plain stupid/stubborn/masochist you've got the determination you need to do this. Go organize a kickass LAN and make sure you do it right. Good luck.

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by Madman, August 5, 2013 -
Hidden by Madman, August 5, 2013 -

Also most teams can't even show up to a virtual place to play a virtual game without being 30 minutes late.

You want people to show up at a LAN on time with all their configs and HUDs ready and working?

OtoyaReactionFace.jpg

No, Masters was 11 Sep 2011 and, relatively speaking, a huge success. It was a LAN that was a defining moment in many of our TF2 careers. If the community can come together and organize something as well planned as that (a logistics nightmare btw: configs, match placements, time slots, hardware, prizes etc) then it will be a 110% awesome event.

But wanting something and being capable of something isn't the same. If you want anything to be a success you have to start from the forum archives, look at every event run; everything from its rules to its vision what did it do right and wrong. Most of all look at the kind of hate leaders receive time and time again (for starters I've given you one example date already, find out what happened) and ask yourself if you can deal with that.

I'm not saying the community hasn't changed since then. I'm saying whatever its changed into- its still full of selfish shitdicks.

OtoyaReactionFace.jpg

If I still haven't changed your mind then good you're just plain stupid/stubborn/masochist you've got the determination you need to do this. Go organize a kickass LAN and make sure you do it right. Good luck.

so pessimistic

let's just see what happens first, who knows, maybe it'll work out

so pessimistic

let's just see what happens first, who knows, maybe it'll work out

This is exactly the kind of mentality I was warning against in my post. You see I see we all see the LAN's going to suck without a concerted effort. I may be pessimistic, but I have reason to be. I've seen some serious shit go down in total failure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: To be less of a spoilsport, I'll clarify that I really do want to see a LAN happen, but let's be realistic- the core admin team already face manpower issues. With the rampancy of hackers/exploiters/DOSing going around on top of the already stressful planning, anyone who wants to plan a fair LAN will have a lot to think about and plan for. I just want everyone to be prepared for a huge undertaking and not have the impression that this will be a walk in the park.

I would love to give my 100% and help run this but I'll be going away, so here are some things I'd like to bring up while I still have access to the internet. If you guys ever get round to planning this remember to take note of:

Servers

Besides the obvious social interaction, one of the main draws of having a local game would be the use of LOCAL SERVERS that remove the client side interpolation advantage (computer 'guessing' events, if you've ever heard of the peekers advantage this is it) for fairest play possible. This means you'll need the server to be an on-site computer- going there and connecting to nata's AFL servers is kind of redundant and silly. You'll have to think of getting custom maps and cfg/whitelists on to the computers there.

Which brings us to..

Mumble

A local murmur server should be available(?) so teams can still use mumble (because its generally going to be noisy + bad seating if Masters is anything to by). I don't know if the latency of playing on a LAN server but having your murmur server somewhere else will work.

Spectators

Standing space or spectator terminals need to be arranged. These cost money (a lot). We had seats at masters but it was very difficult-to-impossible to watch games over the players' shoulders (not to mention annoying to the players who are trying to focus.)

Server-side demos / Player stream

Not required but itll be nice.

Attacks / Technical FAIL

We've actually had a long, illustrious record of servers being DOS'd just before important final matches, STVs being unable to work, whitelists breaking, valve releasing updates midway that break the game/plugins/servers. You need to get a bunch of technically sound people on standby to fix shit.

No Shows

Unless you have unlimited trunks of cash from sponsors you'll need to collect an entry fee to foot the costs. Collect money BEFORE people decide not to show up. And keep a clear receipt.

Hardware

Be very clear about what kind of specs the computers have, and if there will be any limits placed on USB flash drives, macro-keyboards, scripts or configs or HUDs. (On the plus side you won't have to think of ratehackers) Computer specs to run TF2 comfortably is easy enough not to miss, but PAY ATTENTION TO THE AVAILABILITY OF I/O PORTS. People will want to plug in their own mice/keyboard/headset, how many of what kind of ports are available? I remember needing to buy PS/2 to USB and 3.5mm TRS converters for everyone during masters because their gear had different ports from what was available.

A LAN competition is very different from going to the cybercafe with friends. Just ask Summer how much costs he had to absorb for the BBQ (NOT TO MENTION THAT ONE TIME HE GOT BLAMED FOR FUCKING UP THE LAN THAT WASN'T HIS FAULT LOL)

• Like 3