welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
slide-

Possibilities for an Asia-Pacific Sixes Tournament

Hey guys,

http://teamfortress.tv/forum/thread/10027-possibilities-for-an-asia-pacific-sixes-tournament <-- TF.TV

http://ozfortress.com/showthread.php?p=893738&posted=1#post893738 <-- OzFortress

Sixes in Oceania is growing with more and more players thrusting themselves into the world of competitive TF2. Pickup, jump, and MGE servers are constantly becoming hard to find a place in, with people striving more and more to improve their game. Australia in particular is mounting a serious case, with Yuki representing the country in ESEA-Invite this year as part of 'r5', and of course, this year we will see Team Immunity representing Australia at i49, and the world will get a glimpse of what we're made of.

What I'm proposing is we bring all of the Asia-Pacific TF2 community together to compete in a knockout, winner-takes all competition. Teams from all different skill levels from Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, and many more players from all over the region will compete to represent their team, their country, and our region in general.

Of course, there's many things to be figured out such as the amount of teams, dates, servers, broadcast, etc. I am happy to donate the prizes, and organise the majority of things that need to happen. All I need is people to tell me if their team is interested in entering, and if people would watch it. My aim for this is to further the reputation of TF2 in the Asia-Pacific region, and I hope you guys understand that and support it.

Leave your thoughts and comments here.

Much appreciated.

30iut1x.png

*The possibility of this running will really depend if the Asian community get behind it. You'll get an opportunity to play against some of the best in the continent, we just need to know if you guys are keen.*

• Like 2

Also consider the relative skill level. As someone said over on the ozfortress thread, Austrailian teams would definitely have the upper hand. Would this be entertaining to watch?

That aside, players will underperform with high ping, which is unfair and unenjoyable for them and the viewers.

Of course these ideas are good like Caldoran says, but unfortunately there are issues.

It's an awesome idea, definitely. An OzFortress-AsiaFortress collaboration would be cool to experience and can set the pace for more things to come.

In terms of viewership interest I would personally definitely tune in to watch and drag my TF2 friends in. Would be a nice change of pace.

pls explain how players from all over the world can participate in this happily with huge ping disparities and what happens in the event of teams unable to come to an agreement in servers

• Like 2

On paper it sounds really cool, but as teal has mentioned, how would execution of this go? Varying timezones, varying internet speeds, so many factors come in to place. There are already ping issues occurring within the continent itself - intercontinental competitions are going to be even worse.

If you want to host a LAN in a central country, and unless you're going to sponsor all the teams, little to no one from Asia will attend. Why? Again, many factors - money, schedules, age, parents, etc. It's tough to list down everything.

Timezones are the same for Aus/SG so that's a start, NZ's like 4 hours ahead I think.

Anyone know what's the best ping players Aus/SG players have gotten? It'd be great to know of a server that has reasonable ping for both teams.

the best ping is 70-100 ONLY and ONLY from PERTH - SG.

also timezones are not all the same for OZ - SG

Timezones are the same for Aus/SG

lol

only 1/3 of Aus is in GMT+8.

lol

only 1/3 of Aus is in GMT+8.

derp

why is the internet doing this to me

this is why i suck at geography

Anyway, that does sound like a really crappy ping situation. I guess that's the most obvious barrier right now, even barring timezones and other issues.

I'm guessing the best that could be done would be a showmatch in the style of ESEA vs ETF2L? Since it's just for publicity and promotion the ping disadvantage may not be as frustrating and reduces the need to constantly having to adjust to the different timezones by having only one or two set dates and times.

Ping is the only reason why we havent done this (successfully) already.

Remember when we last tried to run a nations cup in Asia? LOL

i'd go for anything to let the world know more about afl

besides playing one game with high ping is not that big of a deal?

• Like 1

i'd go for anything to let the world know more about afl

besides playing one game with high ping is not that big of a deal?

HK NATIONAL TEAM :DDDDDDD

The amount of lag lol. So when us asians complain that it's the aussies fault cause their internet sux, they gon be like

"You're blaming my inadequacy on me, m8?"

• Like 1

It would be really really interesting though! although asia-pacific is more abmitious than asia and i haven't actually met many other asian players... like i've never seen many people from china japan and korea, only southeastasia and hongkong. ping sounds like a huge issue >< medics can survive on high ping (somewhat) but i'm sure not for the other classes

Sign in to follow this