This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
blurr

MGE vs PUG/Scrim: Airshots and aiming in general

Hi guys, I really appreciated the feedback on my previous post: http://asiafortress....i-mentally-ill/

I wasn't sure if this question fits into the previous topic I started, so I made a new one :)

So this is my question. I have been getting lots of problems with airshots and aiming in PUGS. In MGE, I am able to get airshots and 70 damage splash shots, not naturally, but regularly. In PUGS, I have trouble hitting even the easiest of airshots and when I try for a crater, I fail by a big margin. I'm not sure if this is because my aiming just SUX or Summer's (I first noticed this problem in a PUG against Summer)/ The enemy's strafing and dodging is really good.

I practice airshots in MGE and I can't say I'm good at airshots or aiming as a whole but I'm not the worse.

What I would like to know is: Is it just my nerves that get to me and I just need to calm myself down in pugs to hit airshots? MGE helps a lot as a whole but why can't I hit the big airshots in pugs? I can frag peeps in pugs as I've stated in the previous post but with normal shots like splash craters and ShiZz but what about airshots I can't get but are essential to protect my med from vry good roamers? Thx in advance.

BTW: If this post is too similar to my previous one, please tell me so I can remove this to avoid spamming the forum with similar posts :)

if you're focusing on air shots during a pug, you're doing things wrong. Don't do a MGE and snap your hand to attempt a air shot instinctively, instead, only expand that rocket if you're 101% confident you'd make that shot count. Try shooting at the place people would land instead of wasting one rocket for a failed air shot

Also, if you want to be good at air shots in a pug, take the practice to the pug, MGE servers are mostly filled with elitist pubbers with horrible movement and 1 dimensional MGE techniques, playing with them would probably make you worse when it comes to PUG'S. Play more PUG'S and with enough practice, your aiming and pre-emptiveness will start to come naturally

• Like 3

reading your last thread, stop counter-jumping and u might hit more airshots in mge, train in mge and u might hit more in pugs. or maybe u can counter-jump in pugs ^^

reading your last thread, stop counter-jumping and u might hit more airshots in mge, train in mge and u might hit more in pugs. or maybe u can counter-jump in pugs ^^

In the last thread,I was told that counter-jumping was an MGE thing and should not be brought over to pugs....

If you counter jump in pugs, you're

1. Wasting lots of time + health + rockets to "counter jump".

2. Why would you want to counter jump in a proper game? To counter jump to kill a enemy soldier is not the point of the game. Also, you'll hardly find yourself in situations where you will have to counter jump.

To improve in pugs, you should be playing more pugs, not MGE. If you understand the game better and how players react in different situations, the better your aim will naturally be. Join a team, organise scrims, participate in our competitions, and that'll be how you can improve overtime.

• Like 1

stop expecting so much from yourself, keep playing and you'll notice improvements. I didn't really see myself getting better until I hit like 580 hours of soldier. just remember to relax, and focus. I personally vocalize in my head the enemy's movement patterns when i'm playing mge. things like "oh, he's gonna strafe to the right now!" and i copy doing that in pugs.

The biggest problem with airshots is the fact that it's impossible to be consistent with it. A player's falling speed is consistent, but how someone jumps is not. I can switch directions in the air 3 times and you can't do anything about it. Stop thinking about airshots and get better game sense first.

A main reason why you don't see people like jigglesaur or giovannie in mge often is because they understand that aim is secondary to game sense. As such a new player, you should be more concerned about making good decisions in a pug. People like tharnos in the old days when he was all aim no brain is crap at pugs. I can beat summer by playing like an idiot on spire but at the end of the day he'll play better than me in a match.

BRAIN > AIM

hai gaise i mge everyday during mge i put green dot on enemy face. So when scrim i see red team i press W then i see green dot middle of my screen on enemy face i click same as mge. usualy it work but when the green dot on wall like smb i don't use my mouse 1 so i think when u mge ur dot on enemy face u click very help. i dunno if it work or not but this is recent log for my recent game played recently http://logs.tf/41113.

so in total mge help u put green dot on enemy face and when green dot on enemy face it good so mge is good. also summer is easy in spire so no need to be proud of that i put green dot on summer face i can see his scared face cuz rocket hit face.

tl:dr im pro cuz i mge everyday esp spire

p.s when i see smb play his green dot only on wall when he click dont learn

p.s. when i see people play soldier they wan shoot rocket to sky cuz can win nasa space program http://settlement.arc.nasa.gov/Contest/ but that one for student below 12 grade so don't try.

p.s 2 ty for read my post hope u learn ty

• Like 4

hai gaise i mge everyday during mge i put green dot on enemy face. So when scrim i see red team i press W then i see green dot middle of my screen on enemy face i click same as mge. usualy it work but when the green dot on wall like smb i don't use my mouse 1 so i think when u mge ur dot on enemy face u click very help. i dunno if it work or not but this is recent log for my recent game played recently http://logs.tf/41113.

so in total mge help u put green dot on enemy face and when green dot on enemy face it good so mge is good. also summer is easy in spire so no need to be proud of that i put green dot on summer face i can see his scared face cuz rocket hit face.

p.s. when i see people play soldier they wan shoot rocket to sky cuz can win nasa space program http://settlement.ar...sa.gov/Contest/ but that one for student below 12 grade so don't try.

THIS IS THE BEST POST OF ALL TIME

This gary sense of humour too strongk.

ANW.

I've heard benny reiterate that tf2 is a fps game after all, so dm is naturally very important.

not to get into this whole gamesense vs dm debate which is entirely meaningless because the aim is to have both so you become beast.

BUT, regarding OP, MGE/pugs/pubs simply provide an environment for us players.

Ultimately, the onus is on you to make use of the environment to better a certain aspect of your game.

Whether you accumulate 300 points on a Starhub Orange server, play 10 pugs from afternoon to night, or spend 2 hrs in an mge server playing scout until you have 400 points, what matters is you achieve your goals and eventually manage to apply it to an actual scrim when it all matters.

I know of people who would do tr_aim_training for hours everyday to train muscle memory as well, so try everything and find something that works for you.

At the end of the day, pugging is the closest practice you can get to the actual structure and pressure of a 6v6 scrim, so I would suggest practising facets of your DM, be it ground rockets or airshots, and then attempt to apply them to an actual game.

Its not only the nerves that will get to you, but also the element of surprise because in MGE you know its a 1 v 1 situation while in an actual 6v6 game you might not always be prepared to deal with a jumper.

Given more experience and pressing tab, you will learn to be able to expect and "predict" enemy tendencies more, which will make certain situations less surprising then.

Nowadays MGE has this great big negative connotation to it, as if it is almost a bad thing to be practising in MGE.

Don't worry about butthurt haters who attempt to label you and just concentrate and focus on your game.

If you are making them mad, then it only goes to show that you are effective enough to get to them.

I don't think it is that hard to draw a correlation between Tharnos's beastly rockets and the hours he spent playing soldier in MGE.

It is also not hard to draw a correlation between Tharnos's shiny new unusuals and the amount of $$$ he spent to purchase them and how it is simply chump change to him.

I digress.

If you let the environment, eg. MGE, pubs, pugs, restrict your gameplay, then its your own fault for letting yourself get affected.

Whichever environment you choose to immerse yourself into, just make sure it is constructive practice and it's all good!

- just my 2 nobocents worth

p.s. when i see people play soldier they wan shoot rocket to sky cuz can win nasa space program http://settlement.ar...sa.gov/Contest/ but that one for student below 12 grade so don't try.

I thought u dont use crosshair

Just keep playing.!

For aiming try playing tr_walkway_rc2 non stop with your soldier

(it will be boring.. especially if your not the type who likes to frag or can stand doing the same thing over and over again.. but just do it anyway)

try aiming accurately 100% at their feet ALWAYS,

learn to juggle the bots

then air shot them

If you like FLICKSHOOTING .. or wanna train it

everytime you see a bot immediately and continously shoot at the bot which just spawned (rape that faka! :angry:) , while trying to aim with 100% accuracy; at their feet! //Speed is a must here, while you focus on your accuracy)

Once you think you are alright with tr_walkway

play tr_rocket_shooting2 non-stop ..

you will have to juggle the bots yourself.

Its like in basketball, where you are doing an alley oop with yourself..

you throw the ball (juggle the player into the air), and then slamdunk (airshot tat madafaka)

after awhile you will notice that airshotting is easy, those without strafe, the character models are quite big so u dont have to be so accurate to actually hit em

air shotting is just shooting where the enemy will be. 2 things you need to know,

1) where the target will be?

2) where my shot will go?

p.s. timing should be a natural, theres no need to think about it B)

so you know which you are good at/ bad at and focus on that. maybe you know where your target will be, how he will fly in the air, the trajectory and shit.

but you aint so good at knowing where your shots will go.. esp if you using default rocket launcher, if you shoot rockets at close to a wall, it will hit the at right side of your crosshair...

so just keep playing and notice it.. ok if i stand this far, it will hit this right.. then if i stand over here.. it will hit this right...

and over time everything will be in your mind.. that you dont have to think about it.. just shoot and you hit

• Like 1