This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
blurr

Am I mentally ill?

Ok, This is the problem.

MY MGE SUX! But when I PUG, I can handle most 1v1 situations with average players, but during MGE, I can NEVER get a single win even against players whom I have defeated in 1v1 situations in PUGs before. What I would like to know is "How will this affect my game?" "What's wrong with me?" and "Am I a psychopatic, retarded, no skill faggot? (Am I mentally ill?)".

There are plenty of people like that. Your positioning and pushing as a pocket needs lots of work from what I've experienced today.

Thx fuzz, but what can I do to improve this? Play PUGs, or join a team and scrim, or what?

Watch high level NA or EU 6v6 games, try and blindly mimic their strategies in a PuG, then assess why it went wrong or why it worked. Joining a team will help a lot if there are players above your skill level in said team, and they provide constructive criticism on your play.

• Like 3

You should be happy that you frag people in games that actually matter rather than MGE.

MGE has turned our new generation of players into morons who think that fights are won by shooting upward rockets/running around with equalizer/3dmg shotgun...

Half the people in pugs now automatically snap airshot irrelevant targets they miss 70% of the time instead of doing productive shit. In fact i will even say that pugs are fucking shit now and will remain that way until people learn to play the game right instead of just shooting mindlessly

• Like 4

MGE is meant to be a convenient way for two players to train a specific skillset. The fact that you spawn instantly with a buff and full ammo in close proximity to an enemy targets provides an environment where you're free to experiment with a low cost of failure (when you die you don't lose your team 3 minutes of buildup for a cap, you simply respawn immediately). MGE is only meaningful when you're engaging an opponent with the same mindset as you, that is, to train something for use in a real game.

Somewhere along the way it became a game mode of its own, appealing mostly to a crowd of pubbers with an elitist complex who wish to think themselves as highly skilled but ironically will never know what true skill is because of their unwillingness or inability to put in real time and effort in growing a team in Team Fortress 2. My point is that: its possible to 'win' in MGE scenarios by using (in my opinion, cheap) strategies that will not work in a real team game. The most obvious example of such a strategy would be the kind of player who spams and spams 4 rockets 6 shotguns to kill 1 target or 12-14 scattergun shots + pistol. There are many many other stupid gimmicky plays ranging from movement patterns to positioning that can be exploited to give yourself a silly advantage that won't work outside a 1v1.

Even though TF2 simply isn't balanced for 1v1 play it has apparently not stopped an entire breed of players who are admittedly very skilled in things that you will almost never need or should do in a game with more than one enemy (rocket jumping straight up when someone jumps your crate is another example). Also as a side effect they've developed aim and movement styles specially catered to fight 1v1 of the same class (but will miss everything else ranging from medics to stationary heavies). You see it ALL the time in pugs/pubs.

NOW TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION if you want to get good start scrimming actively, pugs barely help you we've seen people pug for 7-8 months and not improve a little bit, or worse- base their whole gameplay around the fact that the enemy team isn't talking to each other. If you can't commit to a team find random people/subs each time; a mixed team of randoms on mumble will fare better than pug teams.

When you learn to handle yourself (and hopefully carry your teammates) in a team fight you'll become a very balanced player that will see improvements in any game type or class- winning in mge is a completely separate system that you should not worry about until later ever. The bad news is that you'll still lose to the hardcore specialized single class killing cheesecake players, but it won't be as bad I'm sure.

Side note: scout v scout at higher levels is almost random who lives and who dies; its almost never an accurate reflection of what will happen in a game

• Like 3

Also someone made fun of Summer's solly this afternoon because he lost in bball.

BBall with shotguns and gunboats and instaspawn :rolleyes: ok can.

• Like 3

Wow, thanks a lot guys, can't express how grateful I am. I guess I should stop raging over MGE and start Pugging/Scrimming more often

:)

Use two different mindsets, one for mge, one for pugs/scrims. As simple as that....

Both platforms have one thing in common though; skill. Improve your skills (aim and movement) as much as you can.

Don't listen to them. Best players mge . Mge makes you good.

Example one - perfect position and strategy can't kill anyone.(useless)

Example two - stupid position but kills one guy almost every time. (Useful)

I agree with MM on the scout vs scout part.

Keep in mind all you have to do is learn the positives and discard the negatives. This applies to all aspects of life.

You are all welcome. Stay tuned for another session.on how to live your life.

don't agree with the legend ^

Having good position and gamesense = 75% chance of winning

MGE King = 25% chance

Situation: A soldier if wastes 3 rockets trying to shoot upwards onto spire vs one that actually jumps to block the point.

But that being said, there ARE situations when having the dm advantage helps. After all it is an fps game.

I just think that DM is easier to obtain than gamesense, just look at Joe, he's been playing for just a 2 ~ 3 months and he's already better than most playing for close to a year, simply because he puts himself in better positions and tries to understand the game

• Like 3

Even if that's the case, he is still better than almost every other player with a longer or similar playtime.

Def better than someone who gets banned for going heavyweapons all the time... no offence

• Like 6

MGE is pretty insignificant. It can help at times in pickups, but if you want to be a truly good soldier, practicing in pickups and scrims is far more important than MGE.

Cheese, for example, from the azn tf2 scene was pretty terrible at MGE, but he was easily one of the best in azn tf2. There was another guy from hong kong who was a beast soldier and was pretty average at MGE - so yeah.

• Like 1

A guy called heretotroll giving a constructive non-troll post..

I feel* so impressed. IIRC I think Cheese had quit before mge was released though

oops

A guy called heretotroll giving a constructive non-troll post..

I am feel so impressed. IIRC I think Cheese had quit before mge was released though

I am impressed*

Use two different mindsets, one for mge, one for pugs/scrims. As simple as that....

Both platforms have one thing in common though; skill. Improve your skills (aim and movement) as much as you can.

This is a little late but... MGE is to help you to train for competitive right? So 1 mindset for comp is enough.

Mge is to help your AIM.

It is important in competitive but all the aim in the world will not help you if you are clueless as to what you should be doing

This is a little late but... MGE is to help you to train for competitive right? So 1 mindset for comp is enough.

No. MGE isn't a good training ground for competitive/6's unless you're an already established and proven 6's player (good skill). So you have to adopt two different mindsets for both modes 6's and mge.

What MGE helps with is scout class training, aim warmup, keyboard movement warmup and muscle memory. If you take it one step further, you can duel soldiers scouts demos whatever and look at their movement patterns and learn from that, it's especially useful in soldier vs soldier duels and it applies in 6's too.

One important thing I keep telling a lot of the 6's players is to freaking aim at the body/chest/head level when they shoot. At no point of time should you be looking downwards at crotch/feet/floor level when you're moving or shooting or whatever you're doing.... The only exception to this golden law of aiming is shooting rockets as a soldier.

Lastly, if you want a good mindset for MGE, I suggest you go in with the mentality of trying to not miss every shot and trying to avoid every rocket/shot/pipe whatever, and work your way from there, and remember that it's okay to fail and try again.

• Like 2

since you are a solly...

use mge to pick up good habits like > switching your weapons fast..

like if you wanna switch from rl to shotty, press "2" once the rocket is fired.

MGE wasn't made as a training tool for newbies. It wasn't made as a gospel on how to practice TF2, and it had always been intended to be something the community could modify. Lange (it's creator) absolutely hates it, and says it pretty much killed the fun in TF2 for him, and wishes the entire format was changed so that it was zero-stats except accuracy and "most kills in X minutes" instead of first to x.

It was literally made for b4nny and Platinum to warm up because they didn't have anything, not as a way to "learn" tf2. People need to start treating it like this.

Play the game as much as possible and spend a little time in MGE, you'll be fine.