This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
fern

Apprehensive about getting into competitive

So, I've been interested recently in playing competitive TF2. I've been watching a lot of NA sixes matches it seems way more intense and fast - paced than in pubs. I also think its going to be quite fun playing with a team and being able to communicate with them. I've read up on how sixes matches work, the roles that need to be played in the team.

I decided to create an account here and I read the rules and guide and stuff for the Asiafortress Pugs.

I'm probably going to get a mic soon so there's that.

I want to play in a pug now, and I'd be glad to play any class really. However I'm really quite worried that my skill level is not up to par, because I've only played in pubs and I'm not the best either. I'd say I'm only average in pubs.

For example, the role I'm interested in is roaming. My aim with the rocket launcher is only average, I can't hit airshots and rely mostly on spash damage and rocket jumping. Will this ruin it for my team if I do eventually play in a pug?

Should I just go for it and play? Should I play MGE more often to improve my DM?

Tl;DR: I want to play competitive tf2, I understand the rules and how the game is played (mostly), and I've watched many sixes matches, but I'm worried that my skill level and DM are not up to par. I am open to criticism but don't want to ruin the fun for my team because I suck compared to the rest. Should I just go for it and play? Should I play MGE more often to improve my DM?

Get in,

Frag or get fragged, you will definitely learn long the way.

MGE is a nice extra to supplement DM but in the past before it existed players got good how? by simply playing the game of course ^^

For example, the role I'm interested in is roaming. My aim with the rocket launcher is only average, I can't hit airshots and rely mostly on spash damage and rocket jumping. Will this ruin it for my team if I do eventually play in a pug?

Should I just go for it and play? Should I play MGE more often to improve my DM?

Wanting to play roamer is probably the best for someone who doesn't have the greatest aim. These days, with gunboats, your job as roamer is to jump at a group of enemies(preferably take height advantage; crates on badlands mid, enemy shack on snakewater mid, enemy crates/ramp on granary) during a teamfight, shoot two rockets at the biggest cluster of enemies(or the enemy who is pressuring your team most; demo, maybe) and then jump out and go back to your team if the fight is going badly, or go behind them if it's going well. There are many variations and situational changes you could make to the above tactic, but that's the general idea.

Obviously you still need to be able to bomb effectively, which means you need to be able to get a medic/demo kill with 3 rockets at best, so go play MGE.

Play 10-15 minutes of MGE before you join a PuG every day, and play MGE when there are no PuGs running.

I would rather you pub than MGE too much. As a solly you might want to pick servers that are more controlled (stay away from payload spamfest maps) until you get better.

But yeah just do it. Unlike NA/EU, we're so bad nobody will notice you're new.

We so bad.

I think most people feel anxious about playing a pug the first time - take it from someone who can't aim. For me it took awhile too, and that was even after I kinda eased myself in with the highlander scene that was starting up here (we're even worse there).

As for worrying about your standard of play, I don't think anyone really starts off amazing. Just enjoy the game and improve while I playing.

What I like to do is just experiencing the game in all forms, from MGE to highlander to dodgeball to pubs to jumping. I think it helps in understanding the game better, and you can learn something from every gamemode, even (to a limited extent) saxtoner.

Not playing MGE much might be why my DM sucks though.

Point is, if you like 6s and this game in general, just play!

Look forward to seeing your name around.

Yes I'm promoting highlander.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, I have a mic now and look forward to playing a pug with you :3

i would like to give you advice but im only an 8.4

An 8.4 ?

One more question, do I just join the pug steam group and wait for a notification that a pug is starting?

Speaking from my experience as a TF2 6v6 player as a medic and my tenure in OGM.

About my background. I am a new player who is introduced to competitive tf2 last July by a good online friend. My disposition is not set up towards games in general, but I will elaborate this in 2 months. I could not think fast either. Other than that, other information about me is confined towards privileged individuals.

When I first started out competitive tf2, I do feel a bit apprehensive cause I know that my knowledge of mechanics of TF2 is very limited. As such, I feel a lot lost during my early days of pugging. There will be people who will help you out along the way. There are too much people that helped me, as such I wont list everyone. I do learn how to trust the pocket, how to heal in an efficient way, and when to use an uber. Sure I do get scolded, but apart from some people, there are people who provided constructive criticism so that I can improve my game play It do hurt sometimes, and there is one time or two time that I feel like quitting TF2 6v6 because it induces too much responsibility But somehow one way or another, I could not bear to quit this game (For now). I am not the best medic, as the rater in asiafortress and a few of my good friends has shown by my lackluster in my movement ability to dodge, heal and as such, but I am glad that I am part of this community that bonds together and practice tf2. Hopefully I could give a little something within my power in May.

I believe that you will be in my shoes the next few months. Do your best and enjoy the game. Do note of criticism, but do not get bogged down by personal insults. Not all of us have gaming talent, but do not let that bog you down. This brings me to the concept of talent, but that could be answered another day. For now, we just acknowledge there is a concept called talent. (I have to admit that my forte is not towards gaming in general, but my interest in gaming is at a moderate level as compared to what I am pursuing now). Even in the face of stress, do your best to analyse the situation and execute what you believe is the best solution for you and most importantly, your team. The elegance of TF2 lies in its teamwork. So as such, consider your teammate's position and their comms when you are executing a solution to a problem. Well, I do not know how is it for you but the moments when I am under extreme stress such that my hand is trembling is the moment that I am relishing the most. Also, if you have tried your best, you will not have any regrets. Pat on your back and say good job. After all, not everyone who tried could compete in Olympics event right?

Everyone will die one day. And what he or she represent, the work that he or she have done, will be soon forgotten and replaced in this world. Panta rhei; in which everything, including time flows. And who we are, what we do, what our ideals are will be oblivated by time itself. Even our bodies, by the process of decomposition and entropy, will lose its structural form and will fall into various elementry forms that will recombine to form various other structures. Heck, even the concept of souls is not entirely understood, and I have a belief that we will not "exist" in a sense that we are not capable of thought at all (related to the concept of congito ergo sum). So it is meaningless to just strive for something, be it monentry benefit, fame or just to be regonised by people. What is important is your self satisfactation when you are striving for what you want to achieve. Just remember this when you are playing in pug. Improve and have fun, and dont worry much about the results. Take constructive criticism (and with a pinch of salt- analysis of events is very very important) and improve.

And also as a off topic event, if you are interested in philosophy, and also the mechanics of games in general, such as the good topics that are found in reddit true tf2, world of tanks, general strategies used by various famous squads and generals, or a history of gaming in general, etc. you are welcome to PM me. I could link you to my clique of friends, especially Newnar and Eques in OGM, who depth of thought is something that I approve. :D But note that their depth of thought is not something that a normal person could comprehend.

I know that I am a bit insolent to be posting such a long tl;dr post, especially since I do not have a firm grounding on competitive tf2 yet, but I feel that this is useful to you since I myself is an newbie as well.

CrimsonFirebird

OGM General Secretary.

Edit: To edit out grammatical errors

Thanks for the advice guys, I have a mic now and look forward to playing a pug with you :3

An 8.4 ?

One more question, do I just join the pug steam group and wait for a notification that a pug is starting?

What I do is this: http://bakemono.servegame.org/sb/index.php?p=servers

If i see any pug group, and i feel like joining, i just click and bingo :D

Also, the 8.4, go and see the asiafortress official rating bot.

CrimsonFirebird

OGM

Sign in to follow this