This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
woohwaah

Getting into comp play

Hi guys, i've been playing tf2 since Jan 2012 and have logged about 2.1K hours. I've always enjoyed pubbing enough to not venture into comp play. However, i've been getting very frustrated playing in local pubs these days (whats with the obsession with sniper/spy) and would very much like to get into more sensible tf2.

I've played mainly PL maps as demo/solly so I don't know 5cp maps well and cant really do rollouts properly. I'd like to start Pugging but fear my lack of 5cp map experience + general incompetence with rollouts will frustrate and annoy the shit out of people.

My question is, should I just dive in or should I work on my rollouts first ? Are there people just as shit as me with their rollouts ?

• Like 1

Guest qjyap

Well hello there, I've seen you around. First thing, read the guides in our guides and mentoring section! Tons of useful stuff there. Second, you should read/watch a few videos to get yourself familiarised with the format. Yes, you should at least know your rollout if you want to try demo in pugs.

Another thing: people may and WILL rage at you. Important thing is to ignore useless ranting from those people. Instead, ask your team where you could have improved on, points to note etc. watching povs of good demos will help too. On mobile now, I'll link some vids when i have time. Don't get discouraged easily, have fun!

Feel free to add me for specifics

Get into AFL servers and spectate, practice rollouts then play :> If people complain, say you're learning and let them cry :>

Oh you can just sit in spectate and watch ? I guess I should watch a couple of matches to gauge the relative skill levels then.

Guest qjyap

I should also note that pugs aren't really very accurate of actual 6v6 matches. If possible, watch scrims and play pugs with a view to joining a team in the future. That's the best way to improve.

Well hello there, I've seen you around. First thing, read the guides in our guides and mentoring section! Tons of useful stuff there. Second, you should read/watch a few videos to get yourself familiarised with the format. Yes, you should at least know your rollout if you want to try demo in pugs.

Another thing: people may and WILL rage at you. Important thing is to ignore useless ranting from those people. Instead, ask your team where you could have improved on, points to note etc. watching povs of good demos will help too. On mobile now, I'll link some vids when i have time. Don't get discouraged easily, have fun!

Feel free to add me for specifics

Thanks for the tips, I am working on my rollouts but at the moment it's far too inconsistent for my liking.

Rollouts shouldn't be what you are most concerned at right now. You can always do them at your own time, own pace, create a server, and practice over and over whenever u want until you somewhat get the hang of it.

As what QJ said, watch scrims and organized pugs (basically pugs with comms) and watch how each player plays his or her own roles while you place your main focus on how your main (demo in this case right) plays along in the game. On top of that don't get too stressed out if u get flamed or shouted that during pugs, it's perfectly normal and everyone would have experienced that at some point. Just remember to keep on practicing and you would be decent enought to play regular pugs and scrims in no time.

Another point to note is also the fact that sometimes watching Demos of scrims may not be the most helpful in improving ur gameplay. In which u can try to just play more pugs often. The experience should and most likely would help you improve to a certain extent. Once you are relatively sure of yourself and have a certain level of experience, forming/joining a team and scrimming more would be the best way to learn.

I'm no div 1 player but I guess those are the basics to anyone who is new. Just remember most importantly not to get down if u get flamed at :)

Yeah, I personally feel I just need to get into it and improve from there. I'm just a little worried about being terrible :D I'll probably start out as a roamer solly rather than a demo since a demo is so important in 6s play. I have almost equal hours on demo and solly anyway. I'm assuming the pocket in Asian TF2 is the solly rather than the demo right ? Since Asian TF2 seems rather NA centric.

you seem nice!

i promise i wont rage at you like i do to spammah.

and yes, pockets tend to be soldiers here...

unless you're me...

i'm connected to my medic via an umbilical cord as demo

• Like 2

All the advice given in this thread are very sensible; we should direct new players here in the future.

Please read this: http://asiafortress.com/index.php/index.html/_/guides/getting-started-in-competitive-tf2-a-complete-r40

for pugging in asia specifically- its more of an administrative guide.

And this will help too: http://asiafortress.com/index.php/index.html/_/guides/setting-up-and-customisation-r38

A side note regarding rollouts is that there are actually proper techniques that are more important than mindlessly doing them a thousand times expecting to go faster. An example would be the badlands window jump for demos, its important to wait half a second and fall a bit before detonating. Make sure you're practicing the right way, you don't want to pick up bad habits.

About your map knowledge: Don't worry about it as 5cp maps are pretty straightforward and 5cp maps are almost 99% played wrong in pubs so any experience in there doesn't really count either.

Regarding your class choice: Be warned that demos and sollies play very different roles in 6v6 than in pubs. You will find that you're expected to do a lot more (because there are usually no heavies/sentries to stop your aggression) and you actually can do a lot more (because you're only against 5 combat classes not 12) Especially as demo you dying will hurt your team a lot more.

Regarding snipers and spies: nope no luck everyone here still loves them

This is amazing the first newbie (different from a "noob") to actually be concerned about the feelings of others wow sir you are a diamond in a mine field.

There is no point watching if you watch for entertainment (I do it a lot), but if you watch demos and streams you have to look at what they do in a certain situation, which can only bring you that far. You really have to play and experience the game to be able to improve yourself further because there are so many things to learn (positioning, advantages etc.) like what bio has already mentioned.

Right now what you can do is to hop into our mumble channel (how to do that here: http://asiafortress.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2457-a-guide-to-mumble-the-basics-suppressing-and-more/) and usually around the evening the lounge and pug channels will have people there pugging and just shooting the shit (not literally). We have our resident camel, his name is spammah, and he usually hangs out there so you can ask him anything if you need to.

You seem like a nice dude, so just keep that up, and don't do retarded shit like leave halfway during a pug if you joined.

Also "ROLL TO SPEC" = join spectator. For ease of use and the raised standards of rolling these days, bind a key to 'spectate' using the console command "bind j spectate" or any other key that you feel comfortable with.

All the advice given in this thread are very sensible; we should direct new players here in the future. Please read this: http://asiafortress.com/index.php/index.html/_/guides/getting-started-in-competitive-tf2-a-complete-r40 for pugging in asia specifically- its more of an administrative guide. And this will help too: http://asiafortress.com/index.php/index.html/_/guides/setting-up-and-customisation-r38 A side note regarding rollouts is that there are actually proper techniques that are more important than mindlessly doing them a thousand times expecting to go faster. An example would be the badlands window jump for demos, its important to wait half a second and fall a bit before detonating. Make sure you're practicing the right way, you don't want to pick up bad habits. About your map knowledge: Don't worry about it as 5cp maps are pretty straightforward and 5cp maps are almost 99% played wrong in pubs so any experience in there doesn't really count either. Regarding your class choice: Be warned that demos and sollies play very different roles in 6v6 than in pubs. You will find that you're expected to do a lot more (because there are usually no heavies/sentries to stop your aggression) and you actually can do a lot more (because you're only against 5 combat classes not 12) Especially as demo you dying will hurt your team a lot more. Regarding snipers and spies: nope no luck everyone here still loves them
can you give me all servers that you provide...thanks

Guest qjyap

Since this is becoming a general advice for new player thread (not a bad thing!) Ill repeat that while pugs help to give you a feel of the format, treat it with a grain of salt. The player level and knowledge are extremely varied.

And once you do get into some play and inevitably mess up or get on your teammates nerves, shut them up by asking them to give you pointers and explain to you what you should do in the future.

If they aren't taken back by your eagerness and / or are still pricks, the blame is entirely on them.

Impress people with your attitude and you'll get picked more = play more = get better faster = make your own frag video sooner.

• Like 2

Rollouts shouldn't be what you are most concerned at right now. You can always do them at your own time, own pace, create a server, and practice over and over whenever u want until you somewhat get the hang of it.

As what QJ said, watch scrims and organized pugs (basically pugs with comms) and watch how each player plays his or her own roles while you place your main focus on how your main (demo in this case right) plays along in the game. On top of that don't get too stressed out if u get flamed or shouted that during pugs, it's perfectly normal and everyone would have experienced that at some point. Just remember to keep on practicing and you would be decent enought to play regular pugs and scrims in no time.

Another point to note is also the fact that sometimes watching Demos of scrims may not be the most helpful in improving ur gameplay. In which u can try to just play more pugs often. The experience should and most likely would help you improve to a certain extent. Once you are relatively sure of yourself and have a certain level of experience, forming/joining a team and scrimming more would be the best way to learn.

I'm no div 1 player but I guess those are the basics to anyone who is new. Just remember most importantly not to get down if u get flamed at :)

rollouts are first thing you should learn. if you cant reach midfight you wont be doing much learning

• Like 1

rollouts are first thing you should learn. if you cant reach midfight you wont be doing much learning

Yeah that was exactly my worry especially for my main which is demo where it is quite detrimental to the team if i'm late. I did play a PuG yesterday but unfortunately it was on snakewater, a map which I had not practiced rollouts on (or play on for that matter =S). My team got trounced due to me being so slow =S But it was fun and i'll definitely be working on my rollouts :)

Yeah that was exactly my worry especially for my main which is demo where it is quite detrimental to the team if i'm late. I did play a PuG yesterday but unfortunately it was on snakewater, a map which I had not practiced rollouts on (or play on for that matter =S). My team got trounced due to me being so slow =S But it was fun and i'll definitely be working on my rollouts :)

hmm. the snakewater demo rollout is, in all honesty, one of the easiest among all 5cp maps (unless you're doing a variation into the saw room).

just create a server in your free time and know the layouts of different maps (it's usually only badlands, gran, gully, snake and the occasional process and koth viaduct). enable cheats in console; use hurtme -9999 so you have pretty much infinite hp to practice your jumps with worrying about hp.

once you get your basic rollouts down, work on polishing off the rough edges (minimizing fall damage; sticky placement for faster jumps etc).

Though I rarely play demo in pugs, I still like to create servers just to practice rollouts (for both soldier and demo) and normal jumping (between different map areas).

Anyway, wish more new players were like you - eager to improve so as to not disappoint your team (and cause unwanted rage by disrupting games).

My memory was foggy, actually it was gullywash. But the truth is, it was not that the jumps were hard, it was that I've never attempted them before and all I know of them were from watching comp tf2 and the youtube vid before the game =S. I've sinced tried them and they are pretty easy.

attitude gets you way further than anything else: read Morgan's guide to life. his attitude is commendable!!!!11!!

and yes we do need more good demomen. we need more summers

attitude gets you way further than anything else: read Morgan's guide to life. his attitude is commendable!!!!11!!

and yes we do need more good demomen. we need more summers

please pardon these two lovebirds

Get a room already.

Practice rollouts on your own - net_fakelag, sv_cheats 1, any map of your choice. Bind a key to restart round, all that jazz. Download esea invite games to get an idea of how TF2 works, and read Bowt's get good guide. These are starting places.

Sign in to follow this