welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
iridescentFUZZ

AsiaFortress Player Interviews #1 - Summer

8_aflogo70.png

Today we begin the first of a series of interviews with members of currently active teams, prominent players, and former legends within the AsiaFortress community. We start with someone who has been overlooked, written off or not given enough credit for his continued performance over the years in our league, and one who has more recently "proven" himself a top 6v6 player as some might say. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm talking of none other than Summer of LSD, MGE, masterful and vf fame.

i: To start off with, how does it feel to have won your first online AFL tournament?

S: It feels good obviously... especially since i've been playing in the scene for close to 2 years and have narrowly missed 1st place multiple times

i: Haha, yeah. A lot of people in SourceTV chat were saying that you definitely deserved it. Now you've not been practicing as much as you'd like, I assume. How did that affect your performance, if at all?

S: It's pretty weird because me and Div have realised that when we lay off the game for a bit, our aim "resets" and feels much more fluid... But aim is not as important as coordinating and being on the same page as your team, and having basic knowledge of pushing and falling is something is logical and you can't forget that easily. In all, i would assume that i played fine judging from comments and the final result

i: Oh yeah, I know exactly what you mean about aim and breaks. How have you synergised with the rest of lsd over the season, particularly towards the end?

S: Well it was sloppy at first as we're a team that doesn't scrim at all, bar official games, and even during those games we never fielded our proper 6 till the finals. Comms within the team were short and sweet due to the language barriers, but we have an experienced group of players who are able to make the best out of every situation, and create opportunities from nothing.

i: Sounds good, sounds good. Moving onto the Asian scene as a whole; despite the fact that you haven't been around as much recently, how do you think it has progresssed over the last 6-12 months?

S: That's a very general question. The scene has definitely expanded, with a large influx of players joining in from the AFA, but the Singaporean 6's scene has pretty much stagnated, with allstars and secrets being the only 2 teams scrimming consistently. That pretty much caused the proposed Alienware Arena tournament to get cancelled, which was massively disappointing. The Highlander scene is getting bigger with many Korean and Singaporean teams, and the UGC tournament. I wouldn't be able to comment much because i'm not aware of the happenings in the other parts of the Asian scene, but it's probably improved due to the good turnout for AFC6.

i: I've heard from a certain pro Korean medic that xvo will be leaving lsd on account of personal issues. Just to get the rumour mill going, will you be replacing him?

S: Well yes, he's asked me to fill in the core spot because he's busy with RL stuff. But i guess we could just take turns playing

i: Right, not very much gossip to make out of that, but that's fine, I guess. Moving on, I don't remember his words exactly, but Yukari once explained to me why you were the best(or top 3) Asian demo. Has anyone outside of the SG/MY scene ever made similar comments?

S: Nobody at all, and i think that's a pretty big overstatement. I don't have as good dm and survivability as some other demos in the scene, but i just try to play off my team and adapt to situations as much as possible. I don't believe in fixed plays, but doing whatever it takes to get the best possible result, even if the play may be a gamble

i: In regards to re-forming masterful, would you mind telling our readers the new lineup, and how much time you're going to be able to devote to practice games now that you have less free time.

S: Masterful was the first team where i experienced having a team of friends all with dedication to play and win, and it was a great experience because we had everyone on the same place. So far the new lineup consists of nasty, jerome, aycan, sad_katz and myself. We're still looking for a demo and we're looking to scrim consistently at least once per day, taking every scrim seriously.

i: Wow, once per day is a lot. Do you have time in your schedule for at least 60 minutes of TF2, not considering all the extra time spent organising and waiting on people?

S: It all boils down to time management, and if you're commited to something there's no reason you can't do whatever you want to.

i: Taking your new line-up into account, which team would you say you'll find yourself scrimming the most?

S: Allstars/secrets. Skill levels would be about equal, and no ping disadvantages. I would really try to scrim the foreigners though, to get used to different playstyles and to encourage more social activity amongst the different countries in the community.

i: Yeah, that sounds like a good reason to play with them. Plus the fact that it's always better playing people with a slight edge over you. If it's not too personal a question, what was your motivation re-forming masterful? I saw a post by emir on the forums the other day, and assumed that was what prompted it, haha.

S: Masterful was a team that came from nothing and became something, and we all remain good friends till this day. It's great having fun with your friends (that's what games are all about aren't they?)

i: This is a question I'm sure a lot of people will have, but what made you think of switching roles to pocket soldier? I mean, there's no doubt that your DM is good, but me, and a lot of people would think that your skill with demo is far superior.

S: I'm starting to feel the pressure of living up to expectations, and i would like to try something new for a change. Also i feel that by learning to play other classes in depth i'll have a better overall understanding of the game and the different situations.

i: Does that mean we'll see you playing medic more often?

S: Hahaha probably not. I have garbage positioning and awareness as a medic.

i: Oh, well. I had to try and ask. Assuming the next tournament is Merc Cup 4, do you guys plan on entering?

S: We'll have to see about that. Let's hope the team works out.

i: So is the whole team and its existence sort of on a trial basis?, or do you plan to make it work at all costs?

S: We'll have to see about that.

i: Let's have a veteran's definitive opinion on nata's creation, the pug mod. Very briefly, what are your thoughts on it?

S: The pug mod is brilliant. No more bs about the last person not daring to roll, and a fair way to decide med caps. Thanks for the great mod sibal!

i: AFA will be starting soon, do you have any plans to mentor an AFA pug occasionally?

S: I've medded AFA pugs a few times and sometimes i just felt like quitting. Some players just don't have the right mindset coming into the game, and it makes teaching difficult. Not that i'm a very good teacher but you have to put up with constant offclassing to highlander classes, and MGE has really tweaked the mindset of new players in a negative way.

i: I guess it has to do with being authoritative. Regardless, to my fortune, the number of people offclassing in pugs these days has dropped very significantly. Do you think with every incarnation of AFA, we'll see new people come in, fool around for a while, then start to get more serious along with some of the less serious ones losing interest?

S: That's probably the case. Most of the people in AFA have been content just playing AFA level pugs, or HL. Only a few players have come out of AFA to higher divisions.

i: What do you think could be done to encourage the ones that favour pugging over scrims to play more organised games? Something like the AFA tournament nata organised for other countries?

S: I have no idea really. Whatever is able to generate their interest.

i: Ok, closing words. Anything you'd like to say to anyone; any friends/family/household pets you'd like to thank, anyone you want to call a disgusting noob?

s: AgentC is a disgusting noob.

i: Alright, thanks for your time and good night!

Next interview we'll have with us a recent division 2 champion who has been, on many occasions, suspected of being a robot. And very drunk.

• Like 6

Next interview we'll have with us a recent division 2 champion who has been, on many occasions, suspected of being a robot. And very drunk.

*cough*

great interview!!

please reform masterful so SCRT doesn't keep playing tharnos plus Rico plus aycan plus zeet plus summer plus one.

great interview!!

please reform masterful so SCRT doesn't keep playing tharnos plus Rico plus aycan plus zeet plus summer plus one.

tharnos plus Rico plus aycan plus zeet plus summer plus one plus puzz = allstars

tharnos plus Rico plus aycan plus zeet plus summer plus one plus puzz = allstars

zeet u missed the point :(

shortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshortshort

you guys stole arcadia from is AND U ALL DIDN'T INCLUDE HIS NAME!? my poor cadia

• Like 1

you guys stole arcadia from is AND U ALL DIDN'T INCLUDE HIS NAME!? my poor cadia

shirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirtshirt

Sign in to follow this