This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
CFB

OGM

Salutations everyone,

I do not know whether this is a "good" place to spread this message around, but if this is unaccepted to moderators, please do remove it. And if this happens, please accept my apologies.

I am an admin of the newly formed organization Only Gaming Matters (OGM).

We are a growing gaming organization team currently based in Singapore.

Our dream is to create a centralized e-sports platform designed to allow fans and gamers to socialize and thus increase the integrity of the e-sports communities.

This organization focus on bringing the e-sports community closer through various means such as competitions, LANfest, forums etc. We also focus on making e-sports more accessible to the general community, with the intention of letting growing communities and e-sports organizations proliferate and to be given due recognition for all that it is worth.

We are generally a non-profit organization. In our operations, our highest priority are the welfare of the gamers and the spectators themselves. We believe that fans are the basis of e-sports and we as an organization, will tap into the power of the spectators.

As a note, our goal is to host offline tournaments because we believe an offline community/event brings provides more community support than online ones. However, we do hold regular online tournaments so as to reach out to more fans and to better prepare ourselves for any future offline competitions.

Currently, our group has finished our debut online DOTA2 competition, and will be following up with our second DOTA 2 competition of the series. Also, our online series for Starcraft II is going to debut soon next year.

We are interested in helping out smaller communities to gain recognition. As such, competitive TF2 is one of the future projects that we may carry out soon. We do work on a request basis and we would access if the game requires our attention.

Therefore, I am here to kindly ask for your support to help us promote OGM.

Attached are our facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/onlygamingmatters?fref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OGM-Southeastasia-Dota2-Open/438924086170645?fref=ts

CrimsonFirebird.

General Secretary of OGM.

Edit: To correct grammatical errors.

• Like 1

It means that we do not consider profit to be our main priority in decision making. We just wish to be self sustainable.

Edit: This sounds better.

Good evening guys,

OGM is proud to announce that we were given the green light to host our 2nd DOTA 2 Amateur Competition held on the 19 and 20 January.

Format will be like this:

In the Amateur section, it will be 32 man team with a double elimination format. The winner and the runner-up will be seeded into the Pro section after the conclusion of the Amateur league.

In the Pro section, it will be the BO3 knockout format.

We hope that you can support us by tuning into the stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/onlygamingmatters

Also, OGM is currently looking into TF2 6v6 competition as part of its operations. If all things run well, we are looking into March/April period to host our debut TF2 competition.

Thank you.

CrimsonFireBird

General Secretary of OGM.

Tone down the colours, make the black borders much narrower, try and get some rounded corners and think about changing the font as well. Also, re-working the logo might help; it's very confusing visually(It looks like there's a 1 next to the G).

• Like 1

I refer to kuler.adobe.com by Adobe for color schemes (colors for the merc cup 4 local derby poster referenced there). Go check out that site, pretty colors.

Don't look at gaming websites for reference, usually black and white and all sorts of weird stuff (not including AsiaFortress this site is a beauty). Look at other websites for inspiration on your borders, placements and stuff. Try not to clunk too much things in one page, a consumer wants condensed information. If we want to find out more, feel free to add a 'Read More' or link us to some place else.

If you want your site and organisation to grow in viewers and participants or whatever, you have to make a good impression, and that is through your website and yourselves. You and your team (of staff) are the ambassadors of the site, especially so when you tag up in games with #ogm or something of those sorts. The way you present yourself and your website is the determining factor of whether or not someone will bother reading past the first page of the site.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Good morning,

Thank you guys for all of your input. I will be bringing this up to the rest of the OGM stuff.

And thanks joe for the well wishes.

CrimsonFirebird

OGM.

Like Fuzz said, try changing the font. It actually gets pretty tiring to read the words. Try a font that is pleasing on the eyes.

On the plus side, I do like the turquoise and beige overtones, but the black background - it seems a little too plain and contrasting (some might disagree, but it's just my opinion).

Maybe a pictured or patterned background instead of just jet black would be nicer? Since it's about gaming, maybe a nice gaming screenshot of some place, like what AF has done, with the rendered snakewater last backdrop.

Just experiment around more :)

Hope this helps.

Good morning guys,

We do have a new designer a few weeks ago, and boy did he criticize our webpage, logo, posters like a madman. He is currently redoing the website and I do hope that I could present the new website to all of you soon.

On the other hand, we are starting on our 1st offline LAN event this week (Thursday and Friday, 11am -5pm Singapore time).

Things are currently looking good for us, and I hope that this LAN event is successful, as it has a major impact on our operations in the near future.

CrimsonFirebird

OGM.

• Like 1

Good evening guys,

We have successfully pulled off a SCII tournament, although we have to make a lot of sacrifices on our side.

Here are the photos. Kudos and 2 refined metals to the first one who can spot me though. (April fools day joke over guys; first post with the correct answer gets the prize and it is limited to 3 posts thereafter, meaning 3 chances for the community)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.172173392932979.1073741826.134192176731101&type=1

As such, we are currently holding back on offline events for now, though we do want to organize a big event (A dreamhack-like event in singapore) in the long run (one that spans multiple platforms)

This month, we will be running a DOTA 2 online competition that is going to be announced this week or next. (IridescentFUZZ have covered this in his interview no 2. Thanks fuzz). After which we may slot in a online TF2 competition in late 2nd quarter/3rd quarter of the year, subjected to various conditions.

Right now, I do have 2 questions to ask:

1) How many of you do use a laptop to play TF2 (Does not matter if it is your spare or not).

2) If not so, would you bring your whole desktop to attend a LAN event)

3) Would you like to attend offline LAN event, regardless of whether it is a competition or not? Would you mind sharing the space with other gamers such as dota2 and SCII players? (Note that you need to bring your own laptop/desktop)

4) What would be a suitable time frame (Month? Weekend? Weekday? School Holidays?) for you to attend if we actualize this event?

5) Any suggestions that you would like to make? (I am opening it to all TF2 players, not just the 6v6 or 9v9 ones)

For now, the dreamhack like event is still within the planning stages. As such I would need to get a lot of information. It would be nice if you can drop by a reply here to the 5 questions above.

With Regards,

CrimsonFirebird

Only Gaming Matters

do you need medic tips

In fact, I do and that is why I read reddit true tf2 and clack clan for tips and pointers.

However, this is not pertaining to OGM matters. No off topic matters.

Thank you

CrimsonFirebird

Only Gaming Matters

We had a lan in the Sept of 2011 (TGX '11) and some of the things that could be improved from that are:

1) Proper match scheduling; timings for each game were like an hour off

2) properly brief team leaders on where to be at x time to avoid delays; give teams ample time to install configs

3) Ensure that all players bring their equipment since many didn't previously

4) i have played tf2 on a laptop previously but definitely won't bring it to the LAN but that's just me. Would rather use organizer supplied products as transporting a pc without a car is horrible.

5) Spread the event over 2 days if possible depending on no. Of registered teams or start early like 9am

6) Side events like Mge tournament, 2v2 bball or fun games to entertain specs

7) Have our big games broadcasted on the stage.. I still remember 40 over specs crowding around a m17 trying to watch the grand finals, also since tf2 isint well known like d2 or sc2 try to make the grand finals get put on stage first so that specs wont leave after the 2 bigger games

Im just listing these points off the top of my head as what i feel as a player. GL with organizing the LAN, good initiative and maybe i might be motivated to play again :D

We had a lan in the Sept of 2011 (TGX '11) and some of the things that could be improved from that are:

1) Proper match scheduling; timings for each game were like an hour off

2) properly brief team leaders on where to be at x time to avoid delays; give teams ample time to install configs

3) Ensure that all players bring their equipment since many didn't previously

4) i have played tf2 on a laptop previously but definitely won't bring it to the LAN but that's just me. Would rather use organizer supplied products as transporting a pc without a car is horrible.

5) Spread the event over 2 days if possible depending on no. Of registered teams or start early like 9am

6) Side events like Mge tournament, 2v2 bball or fun games to entertain specs

7) Have our big games broadcasted on the stage.. I still remember 40 over specs crowding around a m17 trying to watch the grand finals, also since tf2 isint well known like d2 or sc2 try to make the grand finals get put on stage first so that specs wont leave after the 2 bigger games

Im just listing these points off the top of my head as what i feel as a player. GL with organizing the LAN, good initiative and maybe i might be motivated to play again :D

addin on regarding TGX LAN, my team had very little time between matches (except for the first match cuz that was just 10-0 roll in a matter of a half hour), pretty sure other teams had the same problem as well. i don't think xilver even had time for a smoke and i barely shoved two fries into my mouth (which candice and co. kindly bought for us) before being informed that we had to set up our equipment.

if matches are bo3 then please assume that every match goes into a tiebreaker map.

no under 16 rule please, this community is full of em, if u wanna have more players, avoid that rule.

do not run 3rd place match and grand finals simultaeneously. granted, it was running off-schedule but i was really keen to watch the masterful vs vco game but instead had to play nfr in the grand finals at the same time.

no freight please

Players could bring their own keyboard, mouse and mouse pad but bringing their desktop there is just difficult esp for those who don't drive

if its a byoc event, might as well make it a lan party too. gives heaps of time for our tf2 players to interact with dota2 and sc2 players.

addin on regarding TGX LAN, my team had very little time between matches (except for the first match cuz that was just 10-0 roll in a matter of a half hour), pretty sure other teams had the same problem as well. i don't think xilver even had time for a smoke and i barely shoved two fries into my mouth (which candice and co. kindly bought for us) before being informed that we had to set up our equipment. if matches are bo3 then please assume that every match goes into a tiebreaker map. no under 16 rule please, this community is full of em, if u wanna have more players, avoid that rule. do not run 3rd place match and grand finals simultaeneously. granted, it was running off-schedule but i was really keen to watch the masterful vs vco game but instead had to play nfr in the grand finals at the same time. no freight please
We had a lan in the Sept of 2011 (TGX '11) and some of the things that could be improved from that are: 1) Proper match scheduling; timings for each game were like an hour off 2) properly brief team leaders on where to be at x time to avoid delays; give teams ample time to install configs 3) Ensure that all players bring their equipment since many didn't previously 4) i have played tf2 on a laptop previously but definitely won't bring it to the LAN but that's just me. Would rather use organizer supplied products as transporting a pc without a car is horrible. 5) Spread the event over 2 days if possible depending on no. Of registered teams or start early like 9am 6) Side events like Mge tournament, 2v2 bball or fun games to entertain specs 7) Have our big games broadcasted on the stage.. I still remember 40 over specs crowding around a m17 trying to watch the grand finals, also since tf2 isint well known like d2 or sc2 try to make the grand finals get put on stage first so that specs wont leave after the 2 bigger games Im just listing these points off the top of my head as what i feel as a player. GL with organizing the LAN, good initiative and maybe i might be motivated to play again :D/>/>/>
Players could bring their own keyboard, mouse and mouse pad but bringing their desktop there is just difficult esp for those who don't drive

Good evening guys,

I will address these 3 replies over a span of 3 days. I do not have the luxury of time to reply to all the responses as of now

However, I do get the feeling that all of you would prefer a choice to

1) Either bring your own laptop/desktop to the event or

2) have a generic desktop being set up for you once you arrive

There is a question that I would like to ask:

The only place I could think of is alienware arena. It is highly plausible that we may have to set an enterence fee, or get some imba sponsor for it. How much are you willing to pay per day for this event.

CrimsonFirebird.

And yup it is as natapon said, it will be an LAN party, byoc dreamhack style. We haven't started any sustainsial planning yet.

But we could run a tournament in the middle of this.

Crim.