This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
haluuuuu

Concerns about attitudes of players

Anyone who knows me would know that i've been in the pugging scene for quite a while, i've started playing in this community for around 3 years already. Recently i was astonished by the deterioration of standards of pugs happening in the af servers, not because of the skill level of the players but their attitudes

There is Guy A being new to the pugs, but he had read through the guidelines and stuff and has already tried a few pugs before. Yestertday, when he joined a pug, Guy B thinking himself being pro(or simply gone mad because of is pathetic amount of sleep), sort of rage at A for being a newbie. He raised questions like where do you come from, who gave you password, etc, expressing his disfavour on A.

So as a server admin i had to stop this from continuing. I suggest B giving advice on what A should do instead of bringing up useless questions. Though B shutted his mouth, i dont think he took my words into consideration

For gods sake will it help if u rage at a newbie? wouldn't it be better if u tell him what to do instead of sticking ur dick up his ass? i'm not trying to side for the newbies but come on, respect yourself, respect the game, respect the community. Your hatred is unreasonable from any perspective and will not improve it in any way.

Another thing is the offclassing problem. i admit sometimes i've gone too useless as utilities, yet i'll swap back to normal classes after a round or so. but i've noticed quite a few people have been overdoing this.

Once i met someone rolling sniper to gran mid. GRAN MID. WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TRYING TO DO? TAKE DOWN ALL THE SCOUTS IN 2 SHOTS AND THEN THE MED AND THEN THE DEMO AND THEN THE SOLDIERS? Nope he hadnt done this. Well he managed to kill 2 people but by that time we were already losing the momentum and were forced back, leading to the loss of that round.

So i kindly ask this guy to go back to scout, but he insisted to roll sniper 24/7, despite doing anything constructive. as a result, i gave a warning of banning him for going offclass, but this guy again ignore what i've said. He is lucky enough that i didnt really enforce the ban

What annoys me the most is his attitude. when i first said about banning him (i said twice to him), he replied"ok sorry" which made me think hes going to swap back to scout. but he didnt do it. i tolerated for 1 more round and i spoke to him again, he ignored what i've said. He took my words to notice until the last round of the pug, which is pretty much useless by that time.

With regards to the recent banning incident, i think there is an utter need to address the serious problem of peoples behavious and their attitudes towards admins. Being friends with admins doesnt mean you can abuse this relationship, let alone acquiantances, and get away from punishments or stuff. At the moment you show your respect to admins, at the same time you are showing respect to yourself as well as the community. If you have problems or disagreement, propose it politely. There is always someone there to help you.

On the other hand, as admins, we should also remind ourselves not to abuse our powers. Anything personal isnt an excuse for us to ban players. Take action according to their behaviours or attitudes. Just because we got the admin power doesnt mean we can look down on other players. We help to control the pugs, not to destroy them.

Leave me your comments or rebuttal. I'm willing to hear feedbacks from the community. Sorry for my lousy English, would be nice enough if you read through the whole thing while understanding it. I just want to give my help to improve this community and give everyone a better gaming environment :)

ps: i've always been nice and kind to people, but show me your slightest respect to me. If you try to mess with me, i'll make sure you pay for it

• Like 12

Agreed. I think being nice to new people, not offclassing pointlessly, respecting admins and fellow players should all be summarised under one big "Don't be an asshat" rule. Or an assclown; whichever is funnier. :>

Once i met someone rolling sniper to gran mid. GRAN MID. WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TRYING TO DO? TAKE DOWN ALL THE SCOUTS IN 2 SHOTS AND THEN THE MED AND THEN THE DEMO AND THEN THE SOLDIERS? Nope he hadnt done this. Well he managed to kill 2 people but by that time we were already losing the momentum and were forced back, leading to the loss of that round.

*cough* tyrane *cough*

• Like 2

A+ read.

5hCXT.gif

There are the weird ass newbies though. You tell them to do this and they go "ok" and the next thing you know they die because "i was trying to get a med pick." and you specifically told them not do. :\

you'll have to understand that e-peen doesn't mean shit, and tell yourself to not get rifled by a bunch of attention whoring jokers in cyberspace.Other then that, if you can't be serious in enforcing a ban, you can't expect the dude to be serious about behaving. kick that ass to let him know you're serious first though (imo)

Also, newb rage is a delicate issue, some people prefer a more focused community at the cost of a smaller playerbase, while some people want to see the community grow. if you see nerd rage taking place, just tell them to either offer advice or quit whining like a petty little bitch, the sentence is powerful enough to shut people up irl, let alone online ( personal experience)

to combat the roll thing, perhaps nata can change the MOTD such that it states:

"INEXPERIENCED PLAYERS PLEASE BIND A KEY TO SPECTATE OR RISK GETTING RAGED AT"

personally, if someone gets raged at for more then a few times across multiple days, it's their own bloody fault for not for asking "please tell where i went wrong", honestly never heard this question being asked, it's either them shutting the fuck up, or going ":C" / "Sorry"

Edited by DarKie

Have to agree bout newbies being disrespectful to admins. When the newbies are picked and are forced to go a certain class that they had no idea how to play with it, they tend to go spy,sniper,whatsoever 24/7.

I'd agree with the post. Too many times I see newcomers feeling discouraged and annoyed playing PUGs simply because experienced players fail/refuse to empathize and understand that all players start out new somewhere.

Yes, they may have "ruined your game" and made your team lose, but that's no reason to publicly and personally humiliate and insult them. How does one improve without starting out playing PUGs? MGE all day? All raging and bullying achieves is one less player in a community that may lead to a playerbase shrink.

There are of course the newcomers who lack the initiative and respect to go and read the various guides and instead wish to dive headfirst into PUGs. They can be significantly more annoying with their lack of understanding what a roll is (and hence get delegated to Medic, arguably the most important class) and constantly overextending. Yet I feel more self-control and respect should be exercised when dealing with these people, because yet again; what is raging going to accomplish?

Perhaps one can take the initiative to add these people on Steam and point them to the direction of the guides to PUGs on this website. From my personal experience, most of these newcomers who "spoiled" a game are more than willing to find out where they went wrong and prevent themselves from doing so again.

Of course, this is just a suggestion and it's definitely tedious to have to add every single newcomer on Steam. A polite but firm message in the in-game team chat, such as "Hey <name>, you should have read the guide before you play a PUG. You seemed lost." would suffice.

As a final point of note: I feel that the notion of "don't be rude to admins" shouldn't be separate from "don't be rude to other players". This would imply sucking up or "pretending to behave" when an admin is present. In my opinion, it should not matter if the receiving party is an admin or a newcomer who's fresh from pubs. Basic respect should be a necessity and not something "granted" by pulling off a quadruple airshot or being permitted to kick/ban people at their whim.

I personally find it mildly ridiculous that any given ordinary player can endure an entire match of personal and/or public insults and be told "it's all a part of pugging" while it appears to be justified for an admin and/or established player to kick or even ban a player for uttering anything mildly resembling an insult/critique.

This is of course just my two cents, and I in no way imply that my way of thinking how things should work, should be the way things work.

Long post is long.

• Like 2

you'll have to understand that e-peen doesn't mean shit, and tell yourself to not get rifled by a bunch of attention whoring jokers in cyberspace.Other then that, if you can't be serious in enforcing a ban, you can't expect the dude to be serious about behaving. kick that ass to let him know you're serious first though (imo)

sorry im being too kind :(

Agreed. I think being nice to new people, not offclassing pointlessly, respecting admins and fellow players should all be summarised under one big "Don't be an asshat" rule. Or an assclown; whichever is funnier. :>

*cough* tyrane *cough*

*cough*i'm not talking exactly about him, thats some other guy (though i know tyrane did this also)*cough*

There are the newbies that show remorse and acknowledge that they are new and want to get better-

And then we have these really arrogant newbies with horrid in-game etiquette and don't mind ruining games

*cough Sud always snipes cough*

Edited by Summer
  • Like 2

I'd agree with the post. Too many times I see newcomers feeling discouraged and annoyed playing PUGs simply because experienced players fail/refuse to empathize and understand that all players start out new somewhere. Yes, they may have "ruined your game" and made your team lose, but that's no reason to publicly and personally humiliate and insult them. How does one improve without starting out playing PUGs? MGE all day? All raging and bullying achieves is one less player in a community that may lead to a playerbase shrink. There are of course the newcomers who lack the initiative and respect to go and read the various guides and instead wish to dive headfirst into PUGs. They can be significantly more annoying with their lack of understanding what a roll is (and hence get delegated to Medic, arguably the most important class) and constantly overextending. Yet I feel more self-control and respect should be exercised when dealing with these people, because yet again; what is raging going to accomplish? Perhaps one can take the initiative to add these people on Steam and point them to the direction of the guides to PUGs on this website. From my personal experience, most of these newcomers who "spoiled" a game are more than willing to find out where they went wrong and prevent themselves from doing so again. Of course, this is just a suggestion and it's definitely tedious to have to add every single newcomer on Steam. A polite but firm message in the in-game team chat, such as "Hey , you should have read the guide before you play a PUG. You seemed lost." would suffice. As a final point of note: I feel that the notion of "don't be rude to admins" shouldn't be separate from "don't be rude to other players". This would imply sucking up or "pretending to behave" when an admin is present. In my opinion, it should not matter if the receiving party is an admin or a newcomer who's fresh from pubs. Basic respect should be a necessity and not something "granted" by pulling off a quadruple airshot or being permitted to kick/ban people at their whim. I personally find it mildly ridiculous that any given ordinary player can endure an entire match of personal and/or public insults and be told "it's all a part of pugging" while it appears to be justified for an admin and/or established player to kick or even ban a player for uttering anything mildly resembling an insult/critique. This is of course just my two cents, and I in no way imply that my way of thinking how things should work, should be the way things work. Long post is long.
THARNOS WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS!
  • Like 7

it doesn't matter who you are, you should not be off-classing unnecessarily. it is against the pug rules (read the damn MOTD).

the admins are here to help keep the pugs quick and fun, they need to have fun too, don't take that away from them.

The main reason as to why newcomers off-class unnecessarily is because they see the experienced puggers off-class unecessarily too and the experienced puggers can get away with it because of either

1)They actually helped the team in winning ,

2)The team don't have the balls to tell them to not off-class or

3) No one gives a flying fuck about anything in the pug

The newcomer would think that off-classing for most of the pug is ok and do it in order to replicate the results of the experienced pugger which can be disastrous.

All of this because he or she saw the experienced puggers doing it.

We should set an example by only using the utility classes when the situation demands it.The last thing we need in pugs is a newcomer rolling out to badlands mid as engineer :/

• Like 1

All of this because he or she saw the experienced puggers doing it.

We should set an example by only using the utility classes when the situation demands it.The last thing we need in pugs is a newcomer rolling out to badlands mid as engineer :/

Yeah, I have to say from experience that a newbie who's seen regulars constantly offclass is going to be far more painful to discipline than a newbie who's just started playing and happens to offclass.

In fact, I can think of at least a handful of new players who I told, at some point in their first few pugs to stay away from offclassing as much as possible; pretty much all of them listened. But now, quite a few of them will try and offclass every opportunity they get(whether it's helping or not) just because regular "experienced" players do it.

You even have new people constantly asking why the experienced players get to do it, and all you can do is tell them is to look at people like summer, hcaz, russkan, nata, yoog and ripple. Sure, some of them offclass, but none of them offclass at times when they need to be playing scout/soldier.

Good thread, all of you.

my 2c is that most crap play, and by extension rage, can be rectified by using your mic. Even if you have to go so far as to tell them where to stand and why (what kind of advs). In the long run it will help everyone improve. It doesn't even matter if your gamesense is bad, if a new guy is as bad as everyone makes him out to be then your B grade calls will still be a league better than an F-.

I find it mildly amusing that people use their mics to troll and joke and sing but nobody makes any calls. Since nobody types either; its almost like communication in competitive games is optional. (Hint: its not)

but puzzled sings to everyone all day, wouldn't stop. can't stop.

.... and we won (k i kid u all dont rage)

• Like 1

I have given mm's post some thought. I will now incorporate tf2 directions into my lyrics. Teaching through singing has been proven very successful

• Like 1

Moral of the story: Be Nice.

Everyone's first instinct is to rage, which is ridiculous because you're telling things to the newcomer (that he/she may not be aware of) in an utterly rude manner. How is he/she supposed to respect you?

Agree with Cald. There has to be mutual respect in the community. Amongst players. Not just to admins. Everyone started out as a newcomer, please remember that. I remember a player getting kicked out of a server before the admin explained what the reason was. What is the point in that? The player can't see the reason. The player does not know why he/she was kicked/banned. The times when the admin DOES give the reason is 1 second before he kicks the player. Personally it makes more sense to tell the player what he is doing wrong & warn he/she of an imminent ban if the unacceptable behaviour continues.

I stick to pubs because of the hostility that I have experienced in pugs.

p/s: the amount of unsolicited rumours flying around is ridiculous.

• Like 1

kids need to stay indoors and finish their homework before school tomorrow. after school there's extracurricular activities to go to. once that is done then tuition. after tuition head back home and eat dinner. after dinner go to sleep as they have school tomorrow.

moral of story, majority of our players are kids and as we all know kids have learning disabilities cause they need to go to school and all.

tl;dr; kids fuck shite up

Sign in to follow this