This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
natapon

AsiaFortress Academy 3 Ask-Us-Anything thread.

Rules:

1. TF2 related questions only
  2. This is not a chat thread, all irrelevant posts will be deleted
  3. Do no ask questions that are already answered in the guides
  4. If you want more in-depth explaining of certain parts of the guides, quote from the guide in your query
  5. One post for all your queries
  6. Number your queries so we can respond to individual queries
  7. If you desire a specific mentor to answer your query, please specify.

1. If we have already signed up for the previous AFA, do we have to register for this one as well?

How does AFA work? I have completely no idea

When does it start?

Also will there be a list of varied games and we pick the ones we can go for, or what?

Guest qjyap

As a medic in what situation would you pop the uber when a lone bomber/scout gets a solid rocket/meatshot on you, compared to holding on to it?

1. Will there be a list of players that are only allowed to play Medic and mentor other people?

Yes. Chances are, your post in the registration thread(along with a bunch of others) will be removed because you are considered experienced enough for normal PuGs.

How does AFA work? I have completely no idea

When does it start?

Also will there be a list of varied games and we pick the ones we can go for, or what?

You sign up in the thread, get into mumble and join the AFA PuG server. A mentor will guide you and your team from mumble(or will play medic)

I don't know when it's starting

Not sure what you mean

is mge necessary for learning dm, or is that something you can get by just playing over time?

No, MGE is absolutely not necessary for anything.

1. who/what qualifies you to be allowed as an afa member?

2. though i frequent afl pugs, but I only play as a scout/soldier. am I allowed to try out demo in these afa pugs, as I have next to zero experience in the class other than the m1m2/chargintarge shiznit 1337 skills you (okay, just me) apply in pubs.

1. who/what qualifies you to be allowed as an afa member?

2. though i frequent afl pugs, but I only play as a scout/soldier. am I allowed to try out demo in these afa pugs, as I have next to zero experience in the class other than the m1m2/chargintarge shiznit 1337 skills you (okay, just me) apply in pubs.

1. Your experience in pugs is the basis for eligibility.

2. If you're capable of playing pugs without your entire team getting annoyed with you, you're not really eligible to sign up for AFA(to learn) as any class. You'll have to try your luck in normal pugs.

People seem to misunderstand the purpose of AFA. If you're already familiar with the 6v6 game, AFA is not for you. AFA is primarly an avenue to draw in casual players and make them aware of how competitive games are played.

1. If we have already signed up for the previous AFA, do we have to register for this one as well?

yes, the previous AFA signup is for the previous AFA.

As a medic in what situation would you pop the uber when a lone bomber/scout gets a solid rocket/meatshot on you, compared to holding on to it?

you pop if the bomber has got a solid chance of getting you with the next shot. else it depends if you think your teammates can kill the bomber quickly then its worth the risk to hold. it also depends on where you are and where the bomber is after the solid rocket/meatshot. if its a scout, pistol can take you down quickly; and considering the scout hit a meatshot, he cant be that far away.

is mge necessary for learning dm, or is that something you can get by just playing over time?

mge is useful to a certain extent. the situations presented are severely limited for soldiers and you should look elsewhere (such as soaptdm) before you tunnel your dm skillset to a niche platform. and as once said by zach: its cancer.

To clarify my previous question:

Is the format like pugs, where at some random point in time we see which mentors and players are online, and then a game is started by someone on any pug server?

Or is it like our weekly highlander mix up, at a fixed time and day on a regular basis?

Isn't AFA also for somebody who wants to learn the finer points of a particular class with some degree of mentoring? Clarification will be much appreciated.

Isn't AFA also for somebody who wants to learn the finer points of a particular class with some degree of mentoring? Clarification will be much appreciated.

No, AFA isn't really for that. Or at least it wasn't, last incarnation. AFA is for the basics of 6v6, to get pubbers experienced enough to play pugs regularly.

Hi i'm new to competitive play, i've read the guide on setting up and registration. Already registered, mumble set up, but when i'm in mumble i do not see anyone forming pugs or anything. Is there something i missed out?

Hi i'm new to competitive play, i've read the guide on setting up and registration. Already registered, mumble set up, but when i'm in mumble i do not see anyone forming pugs or anything. Is there something i missed out?

If you're talking about AFA pugs, those haven't started yet. If you mean normal pugs, you won't often find people joining different channels, etc to pug. Usually what will happen is if the med captain in is mumble, he/she will probably pick players from the mumble channel he/she is in.

Thanks for the reply! just another question how do i know when the next AFA pugs starts?

stay tune to the forum I guess?

I think if u r registered they will soon invite u to a certain steam group once afa is prepared

Will you guys delve into class specifics after teaching the basics of 6's?

Yes, naturally. How much class specific mentoring will be given, I can't say. I'm pretty sure we're not doing very advanced stuff.

If so who would be mentoring?

Any experienced players who volunteer and don't troll mentoring sessions.

My friend recently missed the sign up for afa, is there anyway he can get an exception to sign up? http://steamcommunit...61198069119984/

This is his id.

Dunno. That's not upto me.

• Like 1

does a scout need to get many kills?

It all depends on the team. If your heavy classes are doing sufficient damage or outdamaging the enemy team, but no one's dying on the enemy team, then yes, the scouts need to get many kills. If your heavy classes are getting kills, scouts are probably better off putting pressure on the enemy team with good positioning and mid-long range shots, rather than getting in the enemy team's face.

That's my opinion, at least.