This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Guest qjyap

Share your story - How did you get into the mixes

What's up with all these one line answers? I want to read walls of text! >:|

Did you ever see anything about svf/afl beforehand?

What made the person invite you, and why was he able to persuade you?

QJ share your story too pls.

It was back in my pub clan days (which some people may remember trolling) when I met Atolea and Sakiisa. Atolea was a publicity rep or something for SVF and one Friday afternoon was trying to get people to join the mix later that night.

Being afraid of competitive (bleh) I spectated the match and reveled as people like jester and aeternalis (and a lot of other people whose names I really should remember) battled back and forth on gullywash and duked it out on gravelpit.

The next week I decided that highlander looked way too fun to not try and joined my first highlander mix ... in swiftwater I think of all places. That mix I also found the name qjyap really familiar and took a wild guess at who he was...

I was in a pub server pubbing around than i met pudipika which caused a huge problem for me to do my work as a spy and i also cause problems for him as a pyro. Later we added each other and started to fight each other more regularly on pubs and 1 day he said that he liked how i played spy? and later he asked me to try the hl mix out and i was pretty excited to be in a competitive match cause i watch many vids on competitive plays so i decided to try it out without caring much. >.< and pudipika helped me with the 1st hl mix that i join. So really big thanks to pudi for showing me this hl mix

Aspencc long enough?

Guest qjyap

Fine fine ill share :<

Started pugging right after the very first AFA (ba timing eh) and got laughed at every single pug. The shit community drove me away (like what I asked for tips/feedback after every pug and of course no one wants to help) so I went back to pubs

Still surfed asiafortress forums, saw someone ask about highlander scene, nata mentioned about svf and weekly mixes. So I went there, atmosphere really different, someone even helped me fix my mic so I could mumble properly (thanks saki). So it went on like this for a really long time until suddenly poof svf announces closing because of lacklustre leadership and website fees. Talked to the admin about the community contributing to pay the rent but in the end we migrated, easier that way as well. And here we are now.

somehow I met a primary school friend on the way too (hi aspencc)

(on phone, forgive grammar)

I saw synister stone and another guy (sorry cant remember your name,if you played with me, u prob regret telling me (: )on a pub and i was like does any1 know bout a comp in asia and they were like yeah asiafortress. I came on the website, started pugging and the found out bout the mixes.

(forgive any grammar and spelling errors)

It was pretty funny for me...

I have been on the game for a good 4 years now and it was only in 2010 that I've discovered the competitive scene of TF2. Since then I have watched numerous videos of players duking it out hardcore on different maps and also learning about which maps are 'balanced' in a sense when talking about suitability for different formats of competitive play.

I fell in love with the way highlander was played because the game format allowed everyone whose good at a particular class to work together. There are also many possibilities when it came to highlander play and anything and everything goes.

I learned about asiafortress through word of mouth from forums in 2011. However, during that time I was quite dissapointed that there was no place for highlander yet on asiafortress. I also did not know about sandvichfort at the time.

It was until the eXtelevision episode where eXtine told us about Sandvichfort closing down where I learned that highlander had been integrated into asiafortress. Some of the comments I read mentioned that Sandvichfort closed down only to have their moderators collaborate with Asiafortress to allow for a better and more streamlined system of having highlander matches set up. It was then that I read about the highlander mixes that you guys were having. Not wanting to waste any time, I excitedly jumped right in.

Also, there were 2 reasons why I sent in the demos to Kip and HiGPS for casting:

1. HiGPS knows me and my playstyle. If you watched his weekly shows, you know that until recently I have been largely featured in his shows and he welcomed me sending in a lot of replays for his discussions about certain weapons or playstyles.

2. Getting word out about my find of asiafortress having a highlander group would be important if we are to be having an actual bona fide highlander tournament. Even though Kip and HiGPS cast games which are of lower profile compared to platinum division games, it is still an important stepping stone for particular groups of players to voice out and advertise their projects and ideas.

I really hope to continue on and help to voice out the word of SEA highlander and to help this small community grow bigger and better everyday.

I don't think my story is entirely applicable since it predates the modern highlander scene but who gives a shit eh...

My first foray into highlander was back in August(?) 2010 when ETF2L first announced that they would have in-game medals. The concept of items in TF2 was still relatively new and so you can imagine how an in-game medal would be a big deal- or at least a big enough of a deal that we played in 400 ping. At this time there weren't any 9v9 games ever in the region and nobody had any experience with 9v9, so I just gathered a couple of my friends to form team madarchod, I don't even remember who played but it included canlah2, xeon, sud, krypt, cee, hsirt and naTTan. The official ruling was that competitive players were not allowed to join highlander but we reasoned that they meant Euro players- and we were technically public players since 6v6 was off-season and had been off-season for a long, long time then. We won a couple of games and I maintain that we wouldve gone ahead to win the medals if only we had bothered to wake up at four in the morning to finish our games.

As for the current batch of 9v9ers, I think it started when we held the AFL publanders tournament (I still have the amateur recorded casts of literally the first 9v9 game in asia!). It was this tournament that brought together the pioneer highlander teams ! and VS together and soon after this Tabi started hosting 9v9s on his listen server. This small community of players helped lay the foundation for not only my 6v6 team ikea stickies which went on to win AFLV but also for starting SVF itself.

The rest, they say, is history.

• Like 1

I was pubbing as usual in Lowyat servers when I met ice-cream (It was around June 2012). He asked me to go and try out Competitive TF2. He redirected me to Faruko. Faruko and me then went and play in AFA. I met many friends there and started loving the community.

When the AFA season ended, I started pugging. I made quite alot of friends there and joined a team for AFC6, we managed to win Div3 3rd Place.

Cool stuff.

(Forgive me for my poor English).

Played in SandvichFort weekly mixes, joined 1 or 2 of it, before it closed down.. and boom! Now we have the same thing here at Asiafort.

Something to look forward to every friday B) .. but sadly cant join always join since im a busy man :huh:

Keith asked me to try the mixes back in the days of ye' olde sandvichfort

Same goes for me during my bored pubstomping days. :3

I too was invited by Sakilsa and Keith to both HL mixup of Sandvichfort, and the PUG of AsiaFortress. Since then I'm starting to love these kind of plays since I wouldn't find this kind of teamwork anywhere else!

because i can't kill shit in PUGs. found out i can't kill shit either in highlander mixes. quit competitive entirely and be pub boy forever.

go s4lts.

• Like 1