This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
hcaz

AsiaFortress Academy

Please have a rule that doesn't allow people to make fun of medics when they drop.

This is one of the biggest reasons that AF has a medic shortage, because people can't give them a break when they are new. Yeah, the medic class is important, but no one will play it if everyone acts like an asshole.

Any other players could frequently make mistakes and no one would say anything because it doesn't make a sizzling noise. Medics are just trying to learn how to play like everyone.

Be supportive.

• Like 1

I mentored things the other day! Er, not things. People.

Onto kig's post, are you talking about medics in general or medic mentors for AFA? A rule like that is hard to enforce, and even if you do manage to get enough admins around to enforce it, what kind of punishment do you envision?

I'd be more in favour of a "Be nice to medics" guideline that could be pasted on various AF-related internet pages.

At the end of the day using uber is a decision, the same as where to stand, where to fight, so on. People need to remember that it's more important to talk about <why> an uber was dropped or how it happened than yelling at people.

• Like 1

I agree with kig's idea and with fuzz's suggestion that it be made a guideline and not a rule.

I've noticed in AFA it's not so much that people yell at the medic when he/she drops, but more that a small group of players in spec and game that enjoy posting binds and shit whenever a medic drops for whatever reason.

As a main med myself, I do get quite annoyed at players that kill me and brag with binds or other provocative remarks. Hell, why do we get so much heat? I don't see any other class being made fun of if they fail to make a med pop, or miss all their shots, or die to a sticky trap. One day, one day guys. I'm gonna just bind "FAILPOP!"

imo, binds are find.. its always gonna be there and push peoples buttons but who cares..

but what i think the new guys needa focus on is actually learning something cuz at the moment most of them just go into the server and want to play map after map after map taking nothing away from each game, mindlessly going through it.. they dont really seem to wanna ask questions or listen if theres something to be said..

oh well ive dropped too many ubers already

Guest QJYap

dropping i find acceptable if it was because the medic holds on the uber because he trusts his team and maybe force popping in that situation would not have improved the teams situation. Better hold on to über in the hopes of surviving than popping and not accomplishing much.

this is only my opinion dun flam plz ty

Nothing peeves me more than joining an afa pug to mentor and find that only a minority of players are interested in learning. Its blatantly obvious that some people don't have a clue about what they're supposed to be doing but they don't speak up about it. Even when prompted. Some players aren't responsible enough over their own progress as a player. They seem more interested in just playing around and getting frags.

• Like 1

Nothing peeves me more than joining an afa pug to mentor and find that only a minority of players are interested in learning. Its blatantly obvious that some people don't have a clue about what they're supposed to be doing but they don't speak up about it. Even when prompted. Some players aren't responsible enough over their own progress as a player. They seem more interested in just playing around and getting frags.

Whoa there. Sure you can advise people and tell them how to improve, but whether or not they take the time and effort to improve is not upto you. If you feel like your time is being wasted mentoring people, don't mentor. It really is as simple as that.

I've mentored a few people on my own time, but do I care, or will I stop mentoring because some of them barely play any more, or have quit 6v6/TF2? No, because it makes no sense having to needlessly worry about something completely out of your control.

• Like 1

Well you're right about that fuzz, it's not up to me whether they improve or not. But I never said nor thought it was ever my responsibility for them to take the time and effort to improve. It's their responsibility. I did say that I don't think they're responsible enough for their own progress.

That being said, those same players are the ones taking up slots in the game that could be of better use to someone else who perhaps is more interested in actually learning something.

Isn't AFA for players that are new and want to learn to play competitive from experienced players?

If the above is true then time and effort from the mentee should be expected. Learning takes time and effort and if the player isn't there to learn then they shouldn't be there. They should just go pub or play in the normal pugs and troll till they get kicked.

I'm not sure what the plans are for AFA but I think having a population of enthusiastic and willing players would be better than having a full server everyday with half the players fooling around and trolling (half was an estimate and a gross generalisation just to get the point across).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Now that I've given it a bit more thought, I'm going to take back what I said.

It might be too early to judge the player's commitment and willingness.

What I think might be the problem is that these players don't know what they are doing wrong and don't know what questions to ask. I've talked to a friend of mine who takes part in some AFA pugs and he tells me its his aim that needs improving. This problem doesn't just affect the AFA players. In my own team there's a tendency to blame the dm and move on.

I can't think of any immediate solutions since enlightenment is personal. It sucks to not have any control

I love this initiative, and how the response and enthusiasm seems very largely positive from the newcomers.

Suggestions I've gathered:

Have more AFA servers in the future

Make teams more balanced, since 5-0 rolls are not uncommon. Perhaps mentors switch some members in teams around if they can sense an imbalance?

Optimize the picking process, which is relatively messy and disorganized

Faster dissemination of information, such as password changes and event happenings

Highly recommend newcomers to join the AFA group, in addition to encouraging them to read the Guides on the forums. Even better, sign up for the forums as well.

Have an Introduction subforum, where everyone from newcomers to Div 1 ESEA players could introduce themselves

I did say that I don't think they're responsible enough for their own progress.

And I pointed out that there's nothing you can do about that.

better than having a full server everyday with half the players fooling around and trolling (half was an estimate and a gross generalisation just to get the point across).

Maybe the problem there is the mentors not taking an active enough role in micro-managing the team and getting them to play seriously. If that isn't the issue, and people are just fooling around, simply revise the rules and add something regarding temporary bans for pointless offclassing, generally silliness, etc. Once again though, difficult to enforce, and more difficult to ascertain(later) whether the action taken was appropriate or not.

An interesting watch for people wanting to mentor:

Suggestions I've gathered:

Have more AFA servers in the future

Upto nata

Make teams more balanced, since 5-0 rolls are not uncommon. Perhaps mentors switch some members in teams around if they can sense an imbalance?

Difficult to manage, since even the most DM-stacked teams can work terribly together and lose unexpectedly.

Have an Introduction subforum, where everyone from newcomers to Div 1 ESEA players could introduce themselves

There's a topic already. A subforum would be a bit too much considering it most probably wouldn't see much use anyway.

Also, ban Caldoran.

Lastly, while conscious effort and self-analysis is the best way to improve, you can't expect 1-week old pug players to be settled into routines(rollout, heal orders, basic positions, movement, aim, etc) well enough that they can focus on improving their co-ordination and gamesense.

Both the pugs in which I mentored today, at least 2-3 were comming, listening to commands(maybe a little slowly) and asked what they were doing wrong after.

Yes, the picking was slow, and people asked for subs and switched around too much for my liking, but it wasn't a big deal.

I do think people are taking this seriously enough.

do you honestly think there are plenty of new people playing in AFA?

You might want to make it clear to whom you're responding >_>

well there are the few which have actually been around the pugs, like "biotics" or "kb24".. but there are a load of new players coming from the pubs and highlanders(new to 6's) so i think that's a huge plus point already

you >_>

I don't know about there being plenty of new players, but I've seen a lot of them. Either way, it's kind of irrelevant since quality is the aim, I assume, and that can't be judged so early.

On a seperate note, Asian players are and will always remain shit if pugs etc are not taken seriously. Take your failure lol-sessions back to pub servers.

On a seperate note, Asian players are and will always remain shit if pugs etc are not taken seriously. Take your failure lol-sessions back to pub servers.

even during late at night :C?

i hope that's not targeted at me :C

anyway, most of these new players (in my opinion) play the game for fun....asking them to suddenly make "hardcore" gaming a serious thing will cause many to become uncomfortable, take away the element of fun in pug's and they will surely not stay long.

i hope you all can give them more time to adapt to the reality of the scene

Sign in to follow this