welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
sTyLz

State of TF2 Competitive scene [Asia]

Hello fellow tf2ers!

I'm Joshua or better known as sTyLz and as some of you are aware I'm a new-comer to the tf2 comp scene.

I started playing tf2 sometime last year with varied success in pubs, played it alot more at the start of this year when I found a nice community in lowyat, was an occasional pubstar and decided that pubs were too disorganized and rage-inducing for me. So I contacted adel whom I know from something called real life and he got me into the pugging scene about 3 weeks ago yay adel.

With the introduction out of the way I'd like to jump to the point which is the state of asia's tf2 competitive scene. How would it be described at this time? I've seen some people regard is as dying, some people say its just changing. What's your opinions?

As for mine, I think it's small. I've encountered a few puggers and to my surprise a handful of the good ones, and perhaps the majority, are old players who aren't so-called 'active' in the scene anymore.

For those of you wondering, the reason I made this thread was to show my interest in the TF2 competitive scene and let you know that there's players out there like me that just need a little extra push to get in here and help the community grow.

there are currently 18 teams competing in svf's kritzkast off class cup. asia's competitive scene is anything than dying. just a few weeks ago we had the third mercenaries cup with 8 high level 6v6 teams competing and before that we had the fifth season of our league with 15 teams.

you want a better idea of the competitive scene, speak to someone that has actually been involved in the scene, eg: someone that actually competes in all the competitions in the asian region.

With the introduction out of the way I'd like to jump to the point which is the state of asia's tf2 competitive scene. How would it be described at this time? I've seen some people regard is as dying, some people say its just changing. What's your opinions?

I'm probably far too new to comment much, but if my memory from lurking the forums occasionally serves me, the AFL 4 period was when it seemed like the scene was dying. I certinaly can't say whether or not there are more active teams now than there used to be, but I think the active playerbase(at least in pugs) has grown and is still growing. Just having a bigger pug playerbase means a greater number of people will potentially want more and eventually start/join teams.

there's players out there like me that just need a little extra push to get in here and help the community grow.

I think people are aware of this, but there are(or were) a few bad apples who think "trial by fire" style rites-of-initiation, raging without constructively criticising, and just being generally hostile to new people will help get new people in.

My advice in general to new 6v6 players is to take whatever anyone(who's good) says and analyse it. Strip out the insults/attitude and focus on anything constructive or useful. If there's nothing useful, and it's just insults or rage, ignore it entirely, and don't take offense.

Another thing; don't write people off for one incident. Everyone has their bad days and says things they wouldn't normally say. On the other hand, if the person has a track record of negative interactions or incidents, keep your distance and ignore, rather than feed the troll.

just a few weeks ago we had the third mercenaries cup with 8 high level 6v6 teams competing and before that we had the fifth season of our league with 15 teams.

Wasn't registration for AFL 5 closer to 20, and Merc Cup closer to 11?

Actually, at least half in the Kritzkast Offclass cup are aussies. And yeah, the asian community is anything but dying, I see you mostly base off the state of this community of the forum. But for some reason, this forum has so many lurkers it's not even funny, almost nobody posts. But there's still lots of people who pug and are ready to join competitive leagues.

the forums are pretty lifeless yeah, but the pugging scene is packed full of old and new players

compy's and leagues only happens a few times a year, can't exactly call it dead because they are supposed to happen only a few times a year, cant imagine a student having to deal with compy's and good grades and life all at once

and the scene in asia is far from small, the only reason people thinks it is small is largely due to the fact that ASEAN countries seem to be in their little own world (imo) , things seem to be improving, recently a bunch of korean .taiwan and japanese teams started playing in our leagues, hopefully given time we can play in theirs too (not sure if they have it though)

if you want to meet more puggers, play during the after work/ after school to before dinner time bracket, or fridays+weekend nights

After the MGE/LSD finals in the last asiafortress league. the teams involveddisplayed a level of competition and excitement beyond anything I can remember (the dizziness vs cata finals might have rivalled it, aeons ago). Things will always appear a little slow in between major 6v6 competitions, but the attitude of players appears to be (and it damn well should) that there's a lot more to be positive about than 6 months ago.

There is always a significant series of logistical challenges though, but people are working on that too. Now is a good time to be positive.

• Like 1

Even as early as 2010 there were already countless mouthbreathers who repeatedly told everyone the community was dying and it was time to get out. Let's not forget this guy either.

If you ever want to know the current state of things, you must always look back at our glorious history and you will quickly learn that in the past things were not so different as they are today. And we're still here. AFL has survived much worse inactivity and much more than just inactivity. I mean, we had an entire three-way server grudge war. And yet, in spite of all that, there were always people who were willing to build build build.

And finally, don't be so pessimistic. It always looks shit, and yet when you look back you'd definitely find some damn good times.

Don't mind me digging up old posts. I was bored.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this