This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
FredKillar

Spy in PUG

Hey guys, I really want to try out the spy gameplay for PUG... I noe the basic side stabs and the staristabs and trickstabs but not so sure if its good for a 6v6... Pls help mentor me on how i can support as a spy? I love spy alot... :)

spy is a ultility, used in only in certain situations.

normally in pugs u just use the normal solly scout demo medic classes as there isnt much strategy in pugs.

Agreed, spy is very situational in competitive play owing to the organisation and communication of teams. I would suppose it would be less of running around in a disguise, like in pubs, and more of picking the right moment to stab a key opponent, eg. medic.

Haven't seen many spy plays in competitive matches, but usually its when the opponent is disorganized, such as when they're regrouping after a failed push for the last cp for example.

I guess the above info is pretty obvious and my presence in this thread is pretty unnecessary :mellow:

Spy is a high risk option you should be using every now and again to get some kind of large advantage (medic/demoman) or defending against a similarly large disadvantage. It should be usually used after other options fail that are safer (or mixed into them, aka engineer, sniper, suiciding players, uber vs uber repush) and should be clearly communitcated to your team and precalled - especially in pugs.

play spy when you're quite sure the conditions and the attentiveness of your enemies calls for it, and make a clutch out of it, otherwise, you'd just be going in and getting raped by rockets

also, going to spy when your team is loosing feels a tad insulting, its just like saying you've given up, imo

utils are normally used in certain conditions:

such as holding last with uber disadv = heavy or pyro (depends on map)

or

pushing into last without uber disadv = sniper or spy (again depends on map)

pushing into gran last for example:

no uber disadv/adv

need picks

go sniper (gran last too big for spy)

try and get a pick (they wont push on a one man sniper adv)

mostly it is scouts that go util

unless its a really scout dependant map

hope it answers your questions

Because it is 6v6, it also means that Medic and co. will have higher awareness of who is around and who is not.

The best moment for you to spy is during the final uber push where all of them are focusing on DM and not aware of their surroundings. Do what you can do the best e.g Dropping a uber or killing their demoman before their final push etc.

Spy is indeed a utility and not supposed to be played 24/7 for the whole match, because why? fear and paranoia will eventually build up in the enemy's team and you won't be able to succeed any stabs. What a spy can do is to weaken the enemy's defense and give them a fear of your presence that allows your team to push with higher chance. I would only recommend to switch to Spy twice in 6's matches, but don't deem on your failure if you encounter any failstabs etc.

It is much much easier to play Spy in Highlander than PUG's, the best you can do is to understand the enemy's mind and play accordingly.

Hope you succeed :)

-AvEngErZx

P.S. Trickstabs are usually more prudent, so try to sneak around and make sure they buy your disguise at start. Kill the medic/demo and run (Remember to report to your team). If it fails, just shoot them with your ambassador xD

Sign in to follow this