This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
ding

mechanical keyboards

yo guys.

I am looking for a good mechanical keyboard for typing and gaming. Would like to be a balance of both. But the price range seems a bit too steep for my liking.

Does anyone know any good and cheap mechanical keyboards? arnd 100$ and but not in the high 100s

I assume you know there are a number of type of switches you'll find in different keyboards. Most common are the Cherry MX switches, which come in red, blue, black, brown and white(I think).

General consensus on the Cherry MX switches is that the blues are best for typing(low-ish actuation force, clicky and tactile) while the blacks are good for gaming(higher actuation, not clicky or tactile). The browns are sort of a middle ground with respect to the black and blues, so you might want to consider them. Keep in mind that they have a lower actuation force which means you're more likely to accidentally press them.

There's also the fact that blues are a bit annoying when it comes to quick, repeated key-presses of the same key. For FPS games(I use blues) they're fine, but I think they might be a little annoying for higher level RTS gamers.

All that aside, the Cherry keys are not the best key-switches you can find. There are also Topre, Alps and buckling spring switches.

I don't know too much about Alps switches, but Topre switches are generally built well and are quieter than most other switches, if noise is an issue. Topre switches tend to get very expensive though.

Lastly, buckling spring switches; in terms of durability, you really can't do better than a keyboard using buckling spring switches. The simplest, yet most effective design, and you'll have very little trouble with maintenance. Keep in mind that they have higher actuation force than Cherry blacks and are quite loud.

Finally, what to buy. If you can, get a Unicomp Customiser which uses buckling springs. The cheapest model they have is 70USD, but I'm not sure about shipping.

If you can get your hands on an old, working IBM Model M, it might be worth buying(You might need a special AT-PS2 adapter). You generally won't have to pay more than 40USD for one. Other options are Das Model S - 135USD, SteelSeries 7G - 140USD, SteelSeries 6Gv2 - 100USD or the Razer BlackWidow - 80USD(This only has 2key rollover though)

blackwidow is only 2kro? oh um i saw this http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-MKB-135B-Pro-Mechanical-Gaming/dp/B0038KN6GO/?tag=vig-20 i think this one got a high kro.

The ones u recommended' date=' what are the KROs? And it would be nice to have a nice standard layout so typing won't be an issue.

[/quote']

It seems the BlackWidow has a 2KRO that doesn't include the WASD keys, but you're still limited to two separate key-presses if you're talking about non-WASD/non-modifier keys.

The others:

Unicomp Customizer - 2KRO

Das Model S - NKRO with PS/2 and 6(+4 modifier)KRO with USB

SteelSeries 7G - NKRO

SteelSeries 6Gv2 - NKRO with PS/2 and 6KRO with USB

I'm going to buy a ducky sooner or later... cherry blues for me.

They're only available at bell sim lim sq as far as I know.

fuwell, techdrome and cybermind at simlim

6G is going for SGD 175, 7G for 250

i'm sure $190 is no problem for you, get the filco majestouch

yeah sia ding, invest in something that you'd be using for 5 years or so.

And I don't think steelseries boards are that good.

haha yeah. But the cherry brown switches sound more versatile to me. I wanna buy something that will make typing much nicer. And also function nicely as a gaming keyboard at the same time. yeah.

I think i might like the filco smaller one tho, without numpad, never needed those things.

Oh do anyone know WHERE to buy these without going online?

either sim lim square as mentioned, or buy from people online and pickup

pmed you some links

Have been using a Filco Tenkeyless brown for about 18 months - no complaints from me, apart from maybe the keytops becoming 'shiny' with excessive use. They can be replaced with rubber keytops anyway.

pWTpB.jpg