welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
HaXxorIzed

ASK ME STUFF

Since we're on the topic of scouts.

Is there anything I can do as a scout if an enemy scout completely overpowers me in DM ability? Although I'm holding an advantageous position watching a flank, he comes through with an overheal, embarasses me and then goes on to pick my demo/medic...

Is there anything a team can do different from normal to counter an enemy scout like that? Did teams change up their tactics to handle yz, and if they did, how?

There's some things you can do, I suppose. Playing close with your support, trying to orientate your team's game so you very much play as a blob and have "teamfights" where nobody is unsupported, etc etc. The problem is this is all 100% situational although the common "rule" is you never ever want to fight evenly (so get some help). What you want to do to shut down a scout who is picking duels on Granary Last defense with even Ubercharges will be very different to shutting down the same play on a Badlands rollout or last, a Gpit B defense, Viaduct attacking, or Asheville.

So I would be watching situations in your demo from thirdperson pov or sourcetv and looking at the situation your screen when you pick a duel. Look for who can help you, which team has the advantage, where you are and where he they are, what this duel will open up for the victor. The fact your question is so general kind of suggests you aren't looking at this thoroughly enough. The key is to be going over your game, analysing ever every bad decision and understanding that there's a different context and reason and optimal and/or "doable" solution for your level to each one. Do not make the mistake of letting a string of bad losses in sift into a haze of "I can't do shit when the destroyernator comes knockin".

All this said, of course there's only so much you can do. They have better DM, they earned it and you need to learn to get around it.

ha great post man.

I'm really not that negative on how I play the game, I'm just playing along with all the trolls present here who hates on me because apparently to them I am a 'dm idiot fwd lololol' scout while they die helplessly.

And also I never rate myself. That is a job for others. Your assumption may or may not be correct, but I'll let my skill be seen, not heard, tyvm.

ha great post man.

I'm really not that negative on how I play the game' date=' I'm just playing along with all the trolls present here who hates on me because apparently to them I am a 'dm idiot fwd lololol' scout while they die helplessly.

And also I never rate myself. That is a job for others. Your assumption may or may not be correct, but I'll let my skill be seen, not heard, tyvm.

[/quote']

Where was their superior insight onto the competitive metagame when choice embarrassed all of Asiafortress tf2 bar dizziness? They said very little and did even less when it counted. While some of the trolls may be very good players, this hasn't translated into success and that implies attitudes within a team that aren't up to par. Unless their attitude changes they'll be as bad as they are right now and you won't be if you play the deck the right way. When you surpass them because you're doing things the right way, then they have nothing on you.

Those who have ability won't shout it to the rooftops all the time, but they will not back down or sell themselves short either. Being confident in the skill you have means being prepared to stand up for it, not run away and hide a grudge against pug trolls. Nobody should use being good or being motivated as an excuse to be a dickhead, but the truth of the matter is there are plenty of people in this community who will not change and will not give you respect you deserve as a human being, let alone as a tf2 player who (may) commit to improving. You have just as much need to not back down to those people as you do to show as much respect, maturity and friendship to those who aren't' doing anything wrong. Having strong character is half the battle of being strong at any competition.

ha great post man.

I'm really not that negative on how I play the game' date=' I'm just playing along with all the trolls present here who hates on me because apparently to them I am a 'dm idiot fwd lololol' scout while they die helplessly.

[/quote']

Where was their superior insight onto the competitive metagame when choice embarrassed all of Asiafortress tf2 bar dizziness? They said very little and did even less when it counted. While some of the trolls may be very good players, this hasn't translated into success and that implies attitudes within a team that aren't up to par. Unless their attitude changes they'll be as bad as they are right now and you won't be if you play the deck the right way. When you surpass them because you're doing things the right way, then they have nothing on you.

Those who have ability won't shout it to the rooftops all the time, but they will not back down or sell themselves short either. Being confident in the skill you have means being prepared to stand up for it, not run away and hide a grudge against pug trolls. Nobody should use being good or being motivated as an excuse to be a dickhead, but the truth of the matter is there are plenty of people in this community who will not change and will not give you respect you deserve as a human being, let alone as a tf2 player who (may) commit to improving. You have just as much need to not back down to those people as you do to show as much respect, maturity and friendship to those who aren't' doing anything wrong. Having strong character is half the battle of being strong at any competition.

some of the best things i've read ever

now i know that tf2 has a set respawn time lol. i just thought that your respawn time depends on your status ( attackers/defenders )

Wa_t.

Respawn always favours the attacking party. This is why playing defense on gpt/viaduct requires you to be proactive - you cannot let the attacking team take too much ground or you have an "Even" teamfight. That'll open you up to a late player death and playing down numbers against a better respawn time.

would it be essential to have the complete understanding on each class to be a good caller? or just have enough play time with the team to know how well they would do in any situation?

I think Cbear answered this question on an MGE podcast really well once, so I'll summarise the points he made.

Someone who understands the game at a high enough level can play any class well as long as their aim isn't complete trash. This is because you understand the game well enough to know what needs to be done in most situations and the response that the team needs ie "Go utility / do damage / take position / stay alive" aren't really class specific skills. Likewise, callers should be able to function the same. So I suppose the way to put it is the best players tend to be good on any class to a point, but that's a product of their understanding of the whole game. The best callers in this game (Bowt, Tyrone, F2, etc) talk about specific situations in relation to advantages more than anything.

Ie gran cp2 uber no uber "they're holding back we have uber they don't, uber demo + scout, pocket follow" or "they're holding close, multi sold/demo, scout clean up:".

I wouldn't say the knowledge required here (you want to get player/med adv with uber, gran cp2 is best for demo with scout to chase) is knowing each class intimately, it's about having specific situational understanding.

Do you know of anyone who has payed for a premium account at MGE? Is it worth it to learn all the pro things? I've always thought I had good game-sense but some of the videos I've seen from their membership are really great.

If Crack Clan avoid dropping a map to ckras they'll win the minor premiership. I can't see why they'd drop a map either.

I also don't think MGE is very worthwhile. The content is lacking, only Tyrone's stuff is worth listening to imo. natf2 implies there's some conflict between MGE and would-be-invite players too.

YY during the dpn v rnr match i agreed with your points that positioning was important but ping does play an important part as well imo... When 2 good teams go against each other, dm ability plays a big role because soldiers are able to create chances, remove scout threats faster, and not screw up their jumps. Besides that, in an ammomod or ultiduo situation involving 2 good players, let's say they're tied on skill but one has 1 second late rockets so he'd probably lose.

Absorbing their attacks and waiting for a chance to counter-push would not work if the other team play smart as well. I'm not implying that you're wrong in saying situational awareness is the biggest factor, but IMO dm is necessary as well. TF2 is a FPS game afterall.

I come at it from this angle really.

Ping you can't affect once teams have agreed to play on a server. It's concrete, it's done, it's decided. Unfortunately unlike most international scenes we do not have the luxury of an internet situation where everyone will realistically ping under 100, so these awful pings will always be present. So whatever ping does, there's absolutely no point in focusing on it in a game whatsoever or talking about reasons it might have cost a team X. It's a standard or set variable. We all know how important ping is for altering someone's damage, their reaction time, their aim and whatever. But there is a difference between acknowledging what ping affects (the effectiveness of decisions ) and what it does not affect (the decisions that are yet to be taken). The second one is where 99% of this game was won and lost. The second is what any analysis of the game should focus on, especially when examples of bad play independent of ping are present. Like obviously ping is really important and it put dpn at a disadvantage, everyone can see that. But you can still play correctly, and from the perspective of a caster talking about a game which is actually important, talking about ping, or stuff that can be improved/changed?

There was far too much of a focus on ping from watchers when the biggest issues for DPN on that first map (bad positioning in most team fights, no aggression to follow up actual aggressive plays, attempting to fight down players / with no advantage when fighting couldn't accomplish anything). Badlands my not have gone any way but RNR's regardless, but it could have been a decent game . On the second map with "fair" pings it was the same problem for DPN agaiin, and it cost them that map too. A strong competitive or problem-solving mentality should focus on affecting what can be affected first, not wastefully getting frustrated on a constant factor you have no control of.

As for tracking, play the game a lot with a regular routine against a mixture of good opposition. Focused gametime with a positive mentality and consistent settings is where it's at. Also, find a comfortable sensitivity.