This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14

I have noticed that the team picking system is slightly flawed.

This is in the sense that some players that have not played the last map might still not get picked the next map. This is because only 5 people can be picked from the Medic each, and some people might still be left out if there is a constant influx of new players. As new players that join replace players that have played the last map, the list will sometimes overflow with players that just only entered the server.

Because players who just entered the server at the start of the new map can still qualify for the "+1" list, the list can exceed the amount of players who are needed. This will surely result in excess players and longer waiting. Worse still, if new players continue to replace players who just played, some unlucky players might NEVER get to play as they are forgone for better, new players.

In light of this problem, I propose a +2 addition. A player who has not played for 2 maps in a row (which is possible) can type "+2". "+2" players must be picked before "+1" players as they have waited longer. This solves the problem of players who have waited long amounts of time.

On a separate note, I have noticed that Medics (the last player to join spec) are exceptions to the "+1" system as Medics can purposely join spectator last. And being last to join automatically makes you a Medic, and thus, playing for the match.

I propose to ask for volunteer Medics who haven't played last round to replace the current Medic if the current Medic has already played the last match. If there are no volunteers, then the current Medic can proceed with the match as per usual.

I hope my proposal comes into consideration, or at least the matter be addressed in some manner. Thank you for reading.

I think one thing to take into consideration is each player's individual pugging track record-

You gotta get those down pat first, I guess. Your chances of getting picked pretty much drop if you gave your team problems before, like not having a mic or not listening to team mates. It's something to keep in mind that people in general do not want to lose. The fact that this community is pretty tightly knit and small makes it all the more worse, since word travels around fast.

I don't mind the current system, honestly speaking. I'm a new medic myself, so I'm not too sure myself, but it seems that being in the server early, and having a sound track record pretty much determine if you'll be picked, based on the people my team mates tell me to pick(most of the time).

Well, don't worry, you'll always have the chance to have a turn.

I mean, even Calvin GOR(Best Calvin ever) and Cheesus got to play. Just hang around a bit more, get into mumble so as to facilitate plays and have a mic?

Iunno what to say anymore, maybe a more experienced member could provide more ideas on how the system can be improved?

It doesn't matter, everyone's going to be picked eventually. That's what you conceded to as well, I'm simply proposing an improvement so that people won't have to be waiting for so long to play.

I think another proposal to consider would be to allow the Medic who wins the initial Ubersaw mid-fight to choose whether he/she wants to pick first or not. This is due to the fact that having to pick first is not always advantageous. For example when there is only one person in the list that the Medic does not want to pick. Or when the list has no good players and picking second will mean getting to free-pick first.

Food for thought.