This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Se7en

AFA4EVER

7 i agree with you. me' date='icecoldsteel,camou have formed a small team and are looking for more players to join us:D

[/quote']

Haha Y you guys reject me just now.

Hmm. No, please not one year. 1 month. 1 month. When did I start pugging... hmm... It was when AFA was first announced, I just entered the normal starhub pug servers (that were still up back then) and there were one or two bad games, but I haven't stopped improving yet, and I've made a lot of new friends =)

I'm kinda torn on whether experienced comp players should be allowed to play. It brings up the level of the match, and learning from playing together directly is definitely better than just being in the same mumble channel. But it can cause some severely imbalanced games.

Combat Wombat always carries!

Jr MALAYSIA TEAM MOu

7 i agree with you. me' date='icecoldsteel,camou have formed a small team and are looking for more players to join us:D

[/quote']

<--

:scout:

huh? lol jared they said you have a group already. if you would join us we'd be more than happy to accept you:D

i dont like the unbalanced games though. maybe the more experienced players should be allowed.

huh? lol jared they said you have a group already. if you would join us we'd be more than happy to accept you:D

i dont like the unbalanced games though. maybe the more experienced players should be allowed.

But... But... Your medic' date=' is MY team's medic. And you guys didn't even get her name right! It's ZEET, not ZEEK.

Hire me!

Jord

Fo jord u ugly man

Ps: i would just like to say Jared's attitude is a good example of what an AFA player should be aiming for.

Self-loving, narcissistic, and think my body is beautiful?

Ehehe ah I want to work on tracking uber advantage. So far I still too scatterbrained (and panicky) in games to do that.

you can't say that about yourself when i'm around jared.

I have not seen any medic in the scene track uber advantage actively, I as the pocket always end up tracking and it gets really annoying. Maybe its just cos' I have yet to play with proper main medics or PUGs are just so bad we don't need to track but w/e.

k go track jared i give u sticker

you can't say that about yourself when i'm around jared.

I have not seen any medic in the scene track uber advantage actively' date=' I as the pocket always end up tracking and it gets really annoying. Maybe its just cos' I have [b']yet to play with proper main medics[/b] or PUGs are just so bad we don't need to track but w/e.

k go track jared i give u sticker

There's your problem.

first and foremost, i must apologise for my infrequent appearances in the afa pugs and in the community in general; as i've told others, real life has caught up to me. i've tried my best to ensure that there will be admins who can take over my job in my absence, but i'd also like to thank everyone who's tried to keep afa pugs as clean and as newb-friendly as possible.

i understand what everyone's trying to say here, and honestly, pretty much all the bases have been covered by various people in this thread. on the one hand, we don't want stagnation within the afa community; we don't want to have a community of newbs just circlejerking, and as such we need to mix them sooner or later. personally though, i'd rather later than sooner; the way i see it, the afa community has much more to lose than gain from joining the larger regular pug community.

anyone who's been in mumble or seen an afa pug can probably attest to what i mean. some of these new players are quickly getting a grasp of the game; hell, some of them understand advantage-disadvantage better than i do. it's especially heartening to see at least 5 out of 6 players in a team make the effort to get into a mumble channel, for the purposes of communication simply during a pug. most importantly, i see some people trying to take ownership of their community. some players try their hardest to enforce rules (although sometimes it fails due to sheer number of people in the server), and going out of their way to be nice to the even newer players who are in their first pickup game.

and then you look at our older pickup community. we're lucky to get a game going where even half the team is in the same mumble. even then, we're lucky if anyone talks at all. most of the time, people just care about frags, airshots, meatshots, and whatever other [P-REC] Bookmark rubbish which they ultimately won't use anyway. and again, most depressingly, is an exclusive community that prefers to pick the same old players, time and again, without daring to give newer names a chance to show their stuff.

all in all, what's the difference between these 2 groups of players? in afa, i see a bunch of people willing to learn, willing to up their game, and just taking the game seriously because they really do enjoy competitive tf2 and want to see it grow. it's the older pickup community that's stagnant, with the same old players, doing the same old things, time and again, without bothering to even take the game seriously.

so you talk again about mixing the 2 groups of players. most of the afa puggers are very intimated by the older pickup community, and with good reason; we're pretty hostile to newbies, and all it takes is one poor performance before they get flamed out of the game, never to be picked again. sure, you say that "if they're serious, they'll stick around." but really, why bother playing if every game you play, you're getting bullied into playing medic, or just made miserable in general?

in the end, why bother mixing the 2 groups so soon? it certainly won't be for the benefit of the afa community. the only thing the afa community stands to gain is the higher standards of play. but are they ready yet for a higher standard? maybe. is it absolutely crucial that they be exposed to a higher standard, as of right now (1 week into afa)? No.

For the next AFL, will there be a new division for the teams forming out of AFA members? I see a lot popping up =) Not sure exactly how many there are. By the end of the league, top two of bottom division move up a division, while bottom two of higher division moves down...

Something like this ^ will happen, right? So the community will get mixed in time, yeah?

Hmm, about the older community, I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky, but the few pugs I've played with more experienced players have been fun, with some good communication, and there are lots of funny moments, and I'm not flamed, usually, even when I fail HARD.

Yesterday, I got dominated by 3 players. I was playing scout, I can't hit ANYTHING. Demo and Medic were two. =/ I like scouting though. Very fun!

Obv im not ugly :( i look good with haruhi beanie ok.

Afa was fun.I see talents but how long will you guys continue to play in afa pug?how long will you give yourself before you take a step higher?

Jord

@deliaren Yeah... hence the very full 24/24 status of the current servers. Thank you agentcy. =( If not enough servers, then, no league? =( I don't think there's a point to AFA if we learn about competitive tf2 and never actually compete.

I hate pushing responsibilities like this. but I REALLY hope someone who is familiar with servers and those companies, rent a server or two so we can have another AFL by december.

Guys, can i give a small suggestions... PUG is nice and all why don't you guys like you know make a team for this people? Create a thread and just draft pick the players to team up then arrange scrims for them every weekend? Get 2 pros on the night/evening/afternoon/morning to spectate and mentor them. Get STVs for the servers and go tru some demos and point out what they did wrong :)

PUG is an awesome idea but in the end everything can tend to get messy and confusing and thus leads to confusions and rage and heated arguments. Like you guys said since people are already learning proper gamesense and comms... Then honestly, they should be pitted with ACTUAL teams not pick up teams to really help some improvements. In the end PUGs will remain some place to DM each other then to actually get teamworks going :)

Like you guys did about listing the people for the AFA opening, do the same but this time just draft the teams by yourselves and get some nice interested teams going. I'm sure by that way most of them can learn more and co-operate more.

Don't start a league whatsoever YET... Just let them learn and know the ways... Then get a league for them going and then the 5 active pro team can join back and do it all over again.

Honestly, people are interested in comp. scene. The only problem is people are just too scared or like too lazy. With a little encouragement and push and proper leadership and organization we all can eventually work things out. You guys need to start pushing. That's all. :)

EDIT: This is just my intake and suggestion... So yeah :)

sorry some of us are rather busy in this period of time. hope u understand. i think come the school holidays things will pickup pretty nicely.

That's why i said every weekend. You know since everyone can make time for the PUG why don't make time for this? It's sort of same. It don't have to be long too... I understand real life commitments comes first obviously but i'm sure usually weekends people are free and sure wanting to play. School holidays prolly we do the league for the low tier teams to actually make em feel that their are fighting for something. :)

But then again... It's just generally my idea i'm giving... It's always up to you guys and what you guys feel the best. :)

I think team dynamics is something you guys gotta figure out yourselves instead of being forced to. Basically, for the last 2 weeks you all have played and interacted with each other on mumble and ingame. Not only that, you guys also roughly know each other's skill level.

With all these experiences, one or two of you can decide to pick up like minded individuals which will definitely help in making a good scrim team. Forcing people might end up causing more trouble than help IMO.

That's why i said every weekend. You know since everyone can make time for the PUG why don't make time for this? It's sort of same. It don't have to be long too... I understand real life commitments comes first obviously but i'm sure usually weekends people are free and sure wanting to play. School holidays prolly we do the league for the low tier teams to actually make em feel that their are fighting for something. :)

But then again... It's just generally my idea i'm giving... It's always up to you guys and what you guys feel the best. :)

Most(certainly not all) are near their teenage periods i.e (12-22)yrs old, and have exams to study for, parents to satisfy, girlfriends to keep happy, homework to do, stupid pw that takes up 50% of my night life, and others. so most likely everything should pick up during june hols, where my gf will finally leave me alone. :B