This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
emir

Asiafortress Academy General Queries

368x368

If you've got any queries about Asiafortress Academy (AFA), be it about the opening on 17th September, or about AFA PUGs in general, feel free to raise them here!

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How do I volunteer to be a mentor?

Thanks for volunteering! All you have to do is tell Emir or Kig that you'd like to be a mentor; then, join the Steam Group and we'll make you admins :)

Remember, you can do as much or as little as you want, as a mentor. At the bare minimum, you need to be willing to help the newcomers improve at the game.

2. What happens if a player signs up and partipates just to troll and grief other players?

Rest assured, if players do try to troll, they will be dealt with accordingly.

We want to make it as conducive an environment for learning as possible. If you behave like a complete douchebag (flame others, rage excessively, troll, etc.), that's enough reason to ban you.

It's pretty clear if an experienced player is steam-rolling the other team. We'll be reasonable first; we'll ask if you'd rather play in the normal PUG servers, where you'd find greater challenge against better players. But if you continue to join AFA PUGs just to roll others, admins will deal with you.

Don't get me wrong; it's not that you'll get banned for being good. What we want is actually to see newer players get better. But there's a difference between "good enough to win a game for your team" and "good enough to completely dominate everyone else". No one gets that good overnight; if you're consistently scoring higher than the med, if you're getting obscene numbers of dominations, then it's clear that you don't belong in AFA PUGs. So please, think. No one gets better by rolling people of lower standard. If you get good after awhile of playing AFA PUGs, do move on to the normal PUG servers.

So, I guess what everyone wants to know is, how will the admins enforce this? 2 main ways: firstly, we'll be maintaining an admin/mentor presence in the server and group as much as we can, i.e. you should always be able to find an admin/mentor online. this ties in with the second part; AFA players may report another player if they believe that he/she is playing in AFA PUGs only to grief newer players. Admins/mentors will enter the server, observe the player in question, and make a judgement as to whether or not action needs to be taken.

Bans will extend to other PUG servers. In short, if you try to mess up someone else's game experience, we won't be in a hurry to let you play in our servers anytime soon. The admins are very firm on this.

The bottom line is, please don't be a douchebag. This is just as much your community as it is ours. If you've been around awhile, you'll know our community's ailing. We have about 5 active teams. We've got very few players, it's hard enough as it is to get a tournament going with so few teams around. Help us to help the community, let the new blood learn to pick up the competitive side to the game. You'll get to play with them eventually, when they've learnt enough to participate in tournaments.

3. Do I really need Mumble?

Yes. You MUST have Mumble to take part in the opening day mentoring event. The mentors will all be communicating via mic, so any instructions, tips or feedback will be relayed on Mumble. You do not need to have a mic, though it's good if you do (be like me, buy $12 mic at Challenger). The whole point of being on Mumble is to listen to the mentors.

If you don't have Mumble on that day, you'll be given a lower priority when we run games. We'd rather play with those who can hear us when we talk.

4. I'm pretty good at all classes in pubs. What class should I play in 6v6?

You'll find that gameplay in pubs is hugely different from that in 6v6 TF2. Here's some advice from Flare (Take it with a pinch of salt though :D):

Id suggest deciding on 1' date=' at most 2 classes you want to learn seriously. Its hard to teach (and learn) if you jump to and fro classes as you see fit. You should only do this once you are confident in your main class. Even i spend 90% of my time/time in pubs as solly. It helps train your aim consistency, make you more comfortable with ur class' movement and generally help you improve much faster.

Sollys should play solly/learn medic, though I frequently get through on excuses that my medic "is shit" and i intentionally drop uber so no one makes me play medic

Scouts must play scout, sniper (2 most impt), spy sometimes, heavy and engi (F u if u dont know how to play these)

Demos can go bang a moose while wearing a ribbon.

Oh and if you dont really know what to focus on, its a personality thing, like sorting hat:

If you like being slightly stupid and dislike having thought processes in general, are a quake player, or enjoyed stomping goombas more than saving the bloody princess in mario, you are most likely a SOLDIER. If you were mortal strike warrior you are also by default a soldier. If you could get 20 kills with AC130's first weapon, you are also a soldier.

If you are a CS player/have shit projectile prediction, like to be a selfish dick and not be held responsible as much when your team fails, and are generally an annoyance to yourself/everyone in your life, you are most likely a SCOUT. If given a choice between WARRIOR, MAGE and ROGUE in any/all RPG type games, you picked ROGUE, you are a scout.

If you are a true piece of work, believing your dick to be the largest amongst the other kids in the playground even at a tender age of 5, enjoy abusing all imbalances in all games (tubing/G18 tools in MW2, dota 5.84 crystal maiden/stealth assasin bullshit, pre patch marauder spam, duplicating rare candies in pokemon etc etc), or in general have more of a brain than the other classes, you are a demo.

If you enjoy pain and high blood pressure (???), dislike killing things in video games/own a WII (????), are a girl (????????), are a transsexual (?????????????????????), somehow prefer being the AV guy for U2 instead of Bono himself (????????????????????????????????????????), are a good dodger in general (dodge work thrown at you, dodge school, dodge girlfriend, dodge family, dodge watermelons, dodge people on street handing out flyers, dodge your loathsome self), you are a medic. I have highest respect for medics, simply because i CANNOT understand how someone installing TF2 for the first time, being greeted by 9 choices in a public game, scroll through and pick the one WITHOUT a gun.

[/quote']

[12:30:01 AM] (Name censored): i signed up for trolling lol

and' date='

under what conditions would i get removed off the AFA ,

like 6 doms or what ?

[/quote']

Rest assured, if players do try to troll, they will be dealt with accordingly.

We want to make it as conducive an environment for learning as possible. If you behave like a complete douchebag (flame others, rage excessively, troll, etc.), that's enough reason to ban you.

It's pretty clear if an experienced player is steam-rolling the other team. We'll be reasonable first; we'll ask if you'd rather play in the normal PUG servers, where you'd find greater challenge against better players. But if you continue to join AFA PUGs just to roll others, admins will deal with you.

Don't get me wrong; it's not that you'll get banned for being good. What we want is actually to see newer players get better. But there's a difference between "good enough to win a game for your team" and "good enough to completely dominate everyone else". No one gets good overnight; if you're consistently scoring higher than the med, if you're getting obscene numbers of dominations, then it's clear that you don't belong in AFA PUGs. So please, think. No one gets better by rolling people of lower standard. If you get good after awhile of playing AFA PUGs, do move on to the normal PUG servers.

So, I guess what everyone wants to know is, how will the admins enforce this? 2 main ways: firstly, we'll be maintaining an admin/mentor presence in the server and group as much as we can, i.e. you should always be able to find an admin/mentor online. this ties in with the second part; AFA players may report another player if they believe that he/she is playing in AFA PUGs only to grief newer players. Admins/mentors will enter the server, observe the player in question, and make a judgement as to whether or not action needs to be taken.

Bans will extend to other PUG servers. In short, if you try to mess up someone else's game experience, we won't be in a hurry to let you play in our servers anytime soon. The admins are very firm on this.

The bottom line is, please don't be a douchebag. This is just as much your community as it is ours. If you've been around awhile, you'll know our community's dying. We have about 5 active teams. We've got very few players, it's hard enough as it is to get a tournament going with so few teams around. Help us to help the community, let the new blood learn to pick up the competitive side to the game. You'll get to play with them eventually, when they've learnt enough to participate in tournaments.

i'll like to suggest mumble as compulsory (sounds like its optional in the opening post) and get the teams into easy-to-find channels? (asiafortress academy team blu/red)

i suggest just creating a static way for people to join in mumble,

1 group for the server and 2 sub channels aka red/blue channel, this way you have less clutter whereby people just create a channel and ditch it after using

@Flare:

Sure! Just join the Steam Group.

To everyone who wants to be a mentor: Just tell Emir or Kig that you'd like to be a mentor, and then join the Steam Group. We'll make you admins of the group :)

@Bigfoot & Darkie:

Mumble IS compulsory. I'll remind everyone of this in a later post.

And yeah, i was intending to split the channels in that manner. Easier to link the sub-channels too, if we wanna speak to both teams at the same time.

can experienced/old players play in this server if we are quite lousy. i.e. me.

haha. especially since i wldnt have played in months by the time i start playing again..

can experienced/old players play in this server if we are quite lousy. i.e. me.

haha. especially since i wldnt have played in months by the time i start playing again..

No.

You never really lose a sense of how to play, and if your aim is rusty, go play pubs or mge. Being "rusty" is no excuse to bully newcomers who genuinely want to learn the game.

Hey why I cannot Sign-Up for AFA... I'm noob enough to sign-up.

I'm afraid not..

You already are part of an actively scrimming team, that should be good enough to help you improve. furthermore, i've played with you a few times in PUGs, you're a decent player and definitely not a noob. Bear in mind this is directed at people who've never pugged before/have only recently just started pugging.

if you're curious what class is best for you, here's some advice from Flare:

Id suggest deciding on 1' date=' at most 2 classes you want to learn seriously. Its hard to teach (and learn) if you jump to and fro classes as you see fit. You should only do this once you are confident in your main class. Even i spend 90% of my time/time in pubs as solly. It helps train your aim consistency, make you more comfortable with ur class' movement and generally help you improve much faster.

Sollys should play solly/learn medic, though I frequently get through on excuses that my medic "is shit" and i intentionally drop uber so no one makes me play medic

Scouts must play scout, sniper (2 most impt), spy sometimes, heavy and engi (F u if u dont know how to play these)

Demos can go bang a moose while wearing a ribbon.

Oh and if you dont really know what to focus on, its a personality thing, like sorting hat:

If you like being slightly stupid and dislike having thought processes in general, are a quake player, or enjoyed stomping goombas more than saving the bloody princess in mario, you are most likely a SOLDIER. If you were mortal strike warrior you are also by default a soldier. If you could get 20 kills with AC130's first weapon, you are also a soldier.

If you are a CS player/have shit projectile prediction, like to be a selfish dick and not be held responsible as much when your team fails, and are generally an annoyance to yourself/everyone in your life, you are most likely a SCOUT. If given a choice between WARRIOR, MAGE and ROGUE in any/all RPG type games, you picked ROGUE, you are a scout.

If you are a true piece of work, believing your dick to be the largest amongst the other kids in the playground even at a tender age of 5, enjoy abusing all imbalances in all games (tubing/G18 tools in MW2, dota 5.84 crystal maiden/stealth assasin bullshit, pre patch marauder spam, duplicating rare candies in pokemon etc etc), or in general have more of a brain than the other classes, you are a demo.

If you enjoy pain and high blood pressure (???), dislike killing things in video games/own a WII (????), are a girl (????????), are a transsexual (?????????????????????), somehow prefer being the AV guy for U2 instead of Bono himself (????????????????????????????????????????), are a good dodger in general (dodge work thrown at you, dodge school, dodge girlfriend, dodge family, dodge watermelons, dodge people on street handing out flyers, dodge your loathsome self), you are a medic. I have highest respect for medics, simply because i CANNOT understand how someone installing TF2 for the first time, being greeted by 9 choices in a public game, scroll through and pick the one WITHOUT a gun.

[/quote']

I've signed up, but when the event starts, how do I know what server to go in? Do I go into a Mumble server or a TF2 server? Also, on the timing of the event, what time zone do you mean by 3.00 pm? I live in Malaysia by the way. Thanks in advance!

@Stuyk: Ask him, if he's fine with it, i don't see why not.

@Styruhfoam:

The Mumble server IP is already posted in the Info Thread. We'll announce the server IP of the AFA server prior to the event, so keep checking back on the front page. In short, you'll join the Starhub E-Club Mumble server first, get in the Mumble Channel, chit-chat a bit, then everyone will join the server(s) in TF2.

Time zone is GMT+8, so that should also be 3.00pm in Malaysia :)

Nope! The launch event is just a one-day thing where we'll have multiple servers running AFA PUGs, as well as having mentors around to actually watch and coach you on the spot. It's perfectly fine if you can't make it.

After the launch day, AFA PUGs will only run on the AFA server; the other servers are for normal PUGs (which you are free to join if you feel brave enough). Also, it's unlikely you'll have so many mentors available at the same time & place on any other day :)

Do note, though, that the sign-up thread is only for those who wish to attend the launch event. If you can't make it, please do remove your post.

Okay, since I might not be able to attend, who will be my mentor or do I have to look for the people?

(I will remove my post if i can confirm I can't attend the launch event, is it ok?)

You'll just have to look for people. That's the whole point of the Steam Group, so you can easily find people who are willing to help. We have mentors for each class, but pretty much anyone can teach you how a class should be played by beginners.

(yes, that'll be fine)