This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
deliaren

Guide to customizing your TF2

768x432

Since many of you are new to the scene and because emir has stolen my thunder I will create this guide which will talk about customizing your TF2 for competitive gameplay.

This guide will talk about changing FOV, custom CFG and custom HUD's and many more.

As you know most competitive players run on a different FoV, or Field of Vision, or run with a custom CFG and/or HUD's, but most newbies do not know how to do this, and so here is a guide to explain it.

Part 1: Field of Vision and Viewmodel

a. What is Field of Vision or FoV?

Field of Vision is literally what it says, the size of the angle that you can see the world in. Currently the FoV is maxed out at 90, which should be the optimal.

b. Why change your FoV?

TF2 requires you to know your opponent to kill. Personally, knowing where your opponent is a huge advantage. Remember, if you don't know where your opponent is you can't kill them.

[align=center]768x432https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/2011-08-29_00005.jpg?w=6a90a675[/img]

fov_desired 70[/align]

[align=center]768x432https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/2011-08-29_00006.jpg?w=77e50fe3[/img]

fov_desired 90[/align]

c. How to change your FoV?

FoV can be changed in the console by using this command:

"fov_desired 90" (capped)

554x316

d. What is Viewmodel?

Viewmodel is the perspective of your player model via your view of the world.

e. Why increase your Viewmodel?

The larger the angle, the further away the viewmodel looks, and by increasing the viewmodel, you can see more things around the bottom right of your screen (which normally is covered by the viewmodel). Normally people have the angle of their FoV and viewmodel to be the same, but some people play at a higher viewmodel or don't even use it.

[align=center]768x432https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/2011-08-29_00002.jpg?w=367402c4[/img]

viewmodel_fov 70[/align]

[align=center]768x432https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/2011-08-29_00003.jpg?w=2a08b88d[/img]

viewmodel_fov 90[/align]

f. How to change your Viewmodel

This can be changed in the console by:

"viewmodel_fov 90" (optimal, change it to anything else if you like)

554x316

or you could turn off with this command:

"r_drawviewmodel 0"

[align=center]768x432http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26020590/2011-08-29_00015.jpg[/img]

r_drawviewmodel 1[/align]

[align=center]768x432http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26020590/2011-08-29_00014.jpg[/img]

r_drawviewmodel 1[/align]

Remember both these changes are not permanent and could easily be switched back, so you could experiment with a few options.

Part 2: Custom CFG

a. What is Custom CFG?

Custom CFG is an configuration file that normally can configure other options that are normally cannot be found through the in-game options tab.

[align=center]768x432https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/2011-08-29_00008.jpg?w=6f124dc3[/img]

My Custom CFG[/align]

b. Why do you need a Custom CFG?

Having a custom CFG allows you to tone down some of the visual clutters and effects from TF2. As you know, playing TF2 creates a toll on your graphic card, and if your graphic card is not up to the notch you could experience frame lag (any FPS below 30). You may not be able to perform as well with frame lag then without it. A custom CFG makes it easier for you to see more of the enemy and less of the unnecessary clutters.

(NOTE: MOST CUSTOM CFG WILL MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE PLAYING ON MARIO 64)

c. Where do you find custom CFG's?

You can find them here:

Chris' FPS Configs

m0rehud

or create a custom one of your own easily at:

TF2mate config generator

d. How do I install them?

For m0re configs: extract the autoexec.cfg to your \Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\cfg

For chris' configs: copy and paste everything from the website to the notepad and then save it as autoexec.cfg inside your \Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\cfg folder. To save it as a .cfg in the drop down box there should be Save As Type, change it to All files, then behind the autoexec put a .cfg.

[align=center]afortproject22.jpg

Put in here[/align]

and normally you need to set launch options which you can right click your Team Fortress 2 > Properties > Set Launch Options and put

after that put in this

"-dxlevel [dxlevel version] -w [width of your resolution] -h [height of your resolution] -full/window -console -heapsize [half of your current ram] -novid -freq [monitor frequency] -nojoy -noipx -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -high"

example

"-dxlevel 81 -w 1920 -h 1080 -full -console -heapsize 2048000 -novid -freq 120 -nojoy -noipx -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -high"

[align=center]720x378http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26020590/setlaunchoptions.jpg[/img]

Put in here[/align]

Part 3: HUD

a. What is a HUD?

A HUD is an Heads Up Display or basically the thing that surrounds your screen and show you your health, ammo, and other things.

[align=center]768x432https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/2011-08-29_000111.jpg?w=5f9d8f83[/img]

PVHUD in action[/align]

b. Why do I need a custom HUDs

A custom HUD is purely for the cosmetics, but it improves your gamesense performance. By having a clearer HUD you will cut the few seconds your looking at the health counter etc. and spend more time fragging and watching your surroundings.

c. Where do I find custom HUDs?

You can find them here:

m0rehud

FlameHUD

PVHUD

RevanXP HUD

Personally I prefer PVHUD because of it's simplicity, but feel free to choose.

d. How to install them?

PVHUD: Download the installer, put in \Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf and run.

m0reHUD and most of the other HUD's: extract folders to \Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf

This concludes my basic guide, remember that just by doing this doesn't make you pro or any kind of shit. Hardwork and dedication is still necessary in becoming a good player and remember this is just a guide to customize your TF2. Customize your game to your needs.

ADVANCED SECTION

ADV.1: Hitscan weapon smoke

credits to povohat

Removes smoke from hitscan weapon when firing upon a surface.

Download Here (right click -> save file as)

Video Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYqGSSKqjQ

place it in the tf/scripts folder.

ADV.2: Null-cancelling movement script

credits to povohat

When two opposing movement keys are held (this applies to any quake engine game)' date=' they will cancel each other out, resulting no movement in either direction. This script would prevent this from happening by ensuring that only one key in each axis can be held at any point in time.

For example, holding left strafe then holding right strafe would normally result in the player coming to a complete stop. This script would result in the player strafing right. If the player then released right strafe, normal left strafe would resume.

[/quote']

put in your autoexec.cfg

// Null-cancelling movement script
// (prevents you from pressing two opposing directions, which causes you to stop moving)

bind w +mfwd
bind s +mback
bind a +mleft
bind d +mright

alias +mfwd "-back;+forward;alias checkfwd +forward"
alias +mback "-forward;+back;alias checkback +back"
alias +mleft "-moveright;+moveleft;alias checkleft +moveleft"
alias +mright "-moveleft;+moveright;alias checkright +moveright"
alias -mfwd "-forward;checkback;alias checkfwd none"
alias -mback "-back;checkfwd;alias checkback none"
alias -mleft "-moveleft;checkright;alias checkleft none"
alias -mright "-moveright;checkleft;alias checkright none"
alias checkfwd none
alias checkback none
alias checkleft none
alias checkright none
alias none ""

ADV.3: Duck/Crouch jump script

Add to your autoexec.cfg

Simple version:

alias +crouchjump "+jump; +duck"
alias -crouchjump "-duck; -jump"
bind "(YOURKEY)" "+crouchjump"
echo "Crouch Jump script had been loaded"

Povohat's version

// pvh fancy jump/duck script for total mongoloids
alias +dj "-duck;+duck;+jump;wait 7;-duck;-jump" // 'wait 7' must be tweaked depending on your FPS
alias -dj "checkduck"
bind "(YOURKEY)" +dj

alias +duk "+duck;alias checkduck +duck"
alias -duk "-duck;alias checkduck -duck"
alias checkduck -duck
bind "(YOURKEY)" +duk

[/align]

surprised that you don't use povhud custom crosshair cob. how abouts chrismaxfps config for those who play on ancient systems (does help maintain constant fps and removes clutter from game). afaik the null cancelling script only really help players that mash controls.

emir has stolen my thunder

sorry man, couldnt help it. my eye twitches everytime i see a grammatical mistake.

i went blind after reading your old guide.

@emir: u cld always edit his grammar. hahaha

nice one cobalt. So helpful for someone who keeps declaring tf2 to be dead. We know that deep down inside, you love tf2.

some pics offline. idk if its just me tho

Good guide.

Btw "-noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd" these commands arn't used in the source engine. I don't understand why people still have them, i guess mostly from just copy pasting other launch options.

Another tip: for projectile classes (soldier, demo) you want a low cl_interp such as 0.0152, and for hitscan classes you want a high interp (0.1).

Good guide.

Btw "-noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd" these commands don't work anymore. I don't understand why people still have them, i guess mostly from just copy pasting other launch options.

Another tip: for projectile classes (soldier, demo) you want a low cl_interp such as 0.0152, and for hitscan classes you want a high interp (0.1).

^

I find 0.02 to be suitable for general gameplay, it provides a balance between both values ( although no one uses 0.1, it's too high to be any good )