This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Sign in to follow this  
natapon

STEP RIGHT UP!

Masterful is the perfect example today on how to start and sustain a team. 6 core players that can sync their dates (in their case monday to thursday only). They take their losses in their stride and their winnings to heart.

Keep the trolling within your team as much as possible. Play your random off classes in public servers. Pugs are for practise though we all try to have fun. What are you showing the newer players by playing sniper on granary mid? That you are so superior that you can play the worst class suited for that part of the map? How about using the banned unlocks? Sure its just a pug, but then its just you is it not?

Have a look at the Free Agent Registry, that is just the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds of players spread across asia. Finding 6 is not hard.

Before you start complaining silently about the administration, think about what you have done for the community. If you think you can do a better job then what are you waiting for? Step right up and offer your efforts. Don't just sit there and look around expecting someone to save us from this shit hole we dug ourselves. What ever we have become is the result of our community as a whole. No one is above or below the community. You are the community.

Instead of waiting for people to ask for your skill and services. Step right up and offer it to the community. It will make it a much more pleasant place to be. Do not be afraid to be judged. You may fail, but I hope you tried your best and I hope the community will appreciate that. Most of you still have that follow the western leadership thing built in to your genes. Well there is no western leadership. We sail our own boat, and we better sail it well because we have a lot of catching up to do.

Now that the shit talk is over. We are still in need of helping hands to push asia forward.

1) I need ALL of you to post your thoughts, expectations and suggestions.

2) We need the following:

Essentials

-a- Forum Moderators

-b- Graphics/Design Expert

-c- Game Admins

-d- Scheduler

-e- Public Relations

Bonus

-a- Movie Maker

-b- Writers

-c- Mentors

Most of the infrastructure is already in place. Just a little tweaks here and there (the damn servers) and we're good to go.

When I talk to the americans and europeans, the first thing they ask me is how is the asian scene going?

Here's another chance at answering that.

If you keep silent, you will not be heard.

A repost in one of the threads. Here for your attention!

I am working on the e-club servers hopefully, we will manage to get it working properly withing a week, and we also might get an addition server.

Thank you for the kind words, Nata. :)

I am available as a Mentor for teams/players. I can help out with positioning and all that assorted jazz. My availability is the same as my team, Mon-Thur, 8pm SGT and onwards. People that are interested can get in touch with me at; http://steamcommunity.com/id/cb_

People attempting to troll me or waste my time will be instantly removed and blocked.

Cheers!

I should add that people signing up should be able to stay and contribute for at least 1 season for staff members. We need consistency and less /wrist. If you know you can't afford the time, please reconsider your decision.

good talk' date=' let me in at game admin and movie maker

i promise not to snipe on granary again :(

[/quote']

I will too get that shit pldx fixed and i wanna roll in too for MM

I can help with editing movies. I can produce demos quickly but with a fair amount of time I can make them look quite nice.

If that category is filled up I can do writing or podcasting or whatever. I have some experience in podcasts and radio with some other websites and some people like my American voice.

:D

I'm available and signing up for talking shit, pushing blame, pointing fingers and doing absolutely nothing like always. My other proficiency includes randomly banning (self proclaimed) innocent steam ids and ignoring unban requests.

Should we discuss the possibility of using TF2 lobby for organizing matches this year?

The benefits would be quick organization and easy moderation for each match.

The day of the game each team fills the web client and it takes them into game once the teams are complete.

Just an idea.

Both ideas are fundamentally flawed.

While TF2Lobby has an excellent stats generating system in place, there shouldn't be a need for AFL to force it's players to use a different service just for playing matches. The process needs to be streamlined, not isolated and spread about in different services.

In-terms of how AFL should behave, people need to tepid their expectations. AFL needs to mirror OZFortress and not ESL, ESEA and such. They are professional leagues with a huge staff and monetary backup. It's simply not possible to be on the same depth as them, not for the time being and given the simple lack of players compared to European and American scenes.

Perhaps I have a conservative point of view. Perhaps using lobbies would be beneficial. One can't know unless more opinion is contributed regarding this matter. In any case, it'll turn heads for sure as it's something that hasn't been done before in a mainstream league. TF2Lobby would be great for the meticulous stats it offers but you'd have to wonder how many players actually care about it after a match.

And yes Nata, TF2Lobby does require rcon. You'd need to specify it when you are creating a custom lobby.

As far as MIRC is concerned, while that's sound in theory, the execution of something like that is quite difficult. Simply, you can't just go into a channel and "organise" a match. If it's anything match related, you'd need a bot that adds players and queries you info and such. Frankly, the whole thing is quite redundant in a scrim scenario. You don't really need for people to add up with their respective classes and/or vote for maps.

That works in pickups but in a league match, it's unnecessary hassle. Not to mention, IRC is quite intimidating to most and people are not usually interested in being forced to use a certain service/program when they've not used it traditionally.

Not to mention, creating a proper bug-free pug bot takes time, knowledge and effort. And at the end of the day, the option isn't viable because people are going to be hesitant, there aren't that many teams or players and you can't really do ESEA/TF2Lobby esque stat tracking. Even the ESEA match bot, which spams the IRC with every frag/every cap, is quite hard to pull off and implement.

You bring up some good points cb. I guess all I'm looking for is something more direct than last AFL. The match threads were ok but normally we went days without hearing from the other teams with out any map picks.

I'm not sure how OZFortress their leagues but it looks like they do a good job.

i suggest using steam group chats. one steam group for admins and team leaders. we can use it like irc. everyone has steam (duh), so like 20/15 mins before the match, the 2 leaders and (one or more) admin(s) will join the group chat and settle things quickly there.

The huge advantage of organizing all matches through TF2 Lobby is that it will provide a consistent statistical record of all matches played.

mIRC, Steam Groups, Mumble, Phone Calls, etc do not accomplish this. Sure, you can notify the team captains over Mumble or forums or whatever, but then you actually get all twelve into the TF2Lobby site for the start of the game.

The system takes zero set up time for players: simply log in using your Steam details (through an official Steam HTTPS page), join the password-protected "AFL5 clan1 vs clan2" lobby, decide Red / Blu teams, and lock in.

Once the game starts, everyone will be sent to the predetermined server (all admins need to do is provide the IP and the rcon password).

From there, match statistics (which will be useful in case of arbitration which was a total joke last time around) will be recorded.

Using the same TF2Lobby system will prevent any frustrating glitches from happening again (ie, no 30:00 timers on maps in AFL4 due to missing tournament configs), with the added bonus of a clean and easy to use GUI for the players and stat tracking for the admins / geeks. And all the admins have to do is set up the rooms on the Lobby website with the IP and RCON password...

That's the least helpful diagnostics post I've ever seen.

What do you need help with? Setting up a server? Joining an existing lobby? Choosing teams / picking classes / readying up? Viewing the stats I sent you?

Let me know what isn't working and I'll try and help you out. It sounds like you're just opposed to the concept of using TF2 Lobby on principle.

Sign in to follow this