This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Guest vonix_

h e l l o <I'm new and I wanna talk a about custom maps in pugs>

Guest vonix_

Hello I'm new to the afl forum, so is the asian scene(sorta).I started playing on Asian servers not long ago and my friend introduced me about afl and Shana pugs. He said I should go try them out so I did. I was amazed by the popularity of these pugs, the amount of people playing. The design of the pug plug-in system it's also really impressive.

But there's one thing which is bothering me, which is the people in pugs almost never play custom maps. As an admin for another pug group I am pretty sure there's a few custom maps in the map rotation list already, but just never get played. I wonder why so I asked the people who are pugging, and they said if they vote map to custom map the pug will die as people don't have the map blah blah blah. I honestly could not understand the reasons behind, as I said I was amazed by the amount of people playing, there's at least 5-6 people in spectator waiting for the next pug and the server is almost full everytime. If people really wanna pug they will stay regardless of what maps it is.

I know this issue may have been around for a while, and custom maps are played in afl/ugc matches. If custom maps are played in matches why not in pugs then? Custom maps have been on the comp scene for quite a while. Like for sunshine, metal works and reckoner, they are being played on ESEA and ETF2L which are the bigger and more famous tf2 community out there. I am not saying the reason why are they so successful soley because of custom maps, maybe it's just part of the reason. The fact that they have courage and willing to try out new things might be the key. In my opinion custom maps are more appealing and interesting to watch and play since we are not so familiar with them, it's hard to know what strategies they gonna use etc, which makes the game more intense.

I really like the Asian community, most people are really friendly and willing to help and cooperate. And I would like to see it grow even bigger and not die after this year ;(. I just wanna express my views and that's all.

*sorry I am typing all these on mobile, the interface looks werid and sorry for such messy organization.

Edited by vonix_

Frankly, I find playing in maps other than the normal rotation are pretty fun. It's just that sometimes people just wanna pug for the sole reason of just pugging, they can't really feel bothered to play other maps. Not saying they are lazy but perhaps because of comfort. It does die down when someone picked a different map because people will have to find their way through the map. Usually only scrims play those maps. Well, at least, I used to.

It's up to the players what they map they want to play on, I honestly find it nice to play those maps once in a while, but by now, everyone knows how metalworks works and how sunshine works. They are just more comfortable with the usual maps they play. If you want, you're welcome to organize pugs on those maps at your own timing. 

• Like 1

the pug will die cause people don't have the map is true tho cause of the new players and how workshop maps tend to not work i.e you have the map but you can't join anyway unless you manually download the map

ppl hate change man they used to not play process what happened!!!!

• Like 1