Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Caldoran

AsiaFortress Mash 2015: Post-Event Feedback and Suggestions

8K48KXx.png

SFM by Blobinet, Banner Design by Cell

AsiaFortress Mash Potatoes 2015: Post-Event Feedback and Suggestions

Hello all participants of Mash!

Thank you for making the event a huge success! We had at least 80 participants in total playing the matches, making it our biggest Mash Potatoes yet! In the end, all matches were played within schedule, and we wrapped up the event in a timely manner.

I'd like to personally thank my Administrator and Staff Team (especially Teejay) and the Mentors/Backup Mentors for their tremendous effort and help in helping to manage the event. I'd also like to thank the participants for coming on time, as well as the backups who helped substitute players that didn't show up or had to go.

I hope everyone involved had fun, and that the newcomers learned more about 6v6 from the event!

To assist us in making improvements for the next Mash and other future events, I'd like to invite you to give us your honest feedback for the event. Your feedback will assist us greatly in improving the next Mash to make it a better experience.

Feedback Form

Team Name(s)/Number(s):

Role (Player/Mentor/Backup/Backup Mentor):

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you?

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?)

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event?

4. What are the things which could have been done better?

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup)
    How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event? (Mentor/Backup Mentor)

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team?

7. Any other suggestions/feedback?

Thank you for the feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!

• Like 1

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Nose

Role (Player/Mentor/Backup/Backup Mentor): Mentor

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? Extremely

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) A BIT too late

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? Number of teams felt just nice

4. What are the things which could have been done better? Should not have allowed Scot to mentor

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup)
How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event? (Mentor/Backup Mentor) They've learned how to coordinate attacks more. 

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? Amazing mentees. However, I was unfortunately given Vetia as a co-mentor. 

• Like 3

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Meme

Role (Player/Mentor/Backup/Backup Mentor): Dank_420_Memetor

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? BrokeBack 4Head Elegiggle DansGame

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) NotLikeThis

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the eventLMFAO wHo cAREAS HAHA Xd

4. What are the things which could have been done better? other memetors were not good memetors

How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event? (Mentor/Backup Mentor) 

Many Memes. Much White supremacy. Much 2v2 between memetors

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? Dank games 420 kushlord

7. Any other suggestions/feedback? Hey SawahMan im learning to be a virgin. Do you max IM BUSY like what you told that chick who asked you to sex her? Or do you COME TO SAW by walking to grass? 

RIP SAWAHMAN http://imgur.com/rxE4XcM

Edited by nova

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Memes

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? Yes, it was but no because Team Nose beat Team Memes

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?)  Event was a little late but overall, was perfect.

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? Naming the team names perfectly.

4. What are the things which could have been done better? Put Jaku in Team Memes instead of Nova because Nova not dank enough

Everyone improved tremendously after the games went by. The team coordinated and manage to do much more as a team

Everyone did well. I think I failed as a mentor for Team Memes because we failed to educate one of our mentees that when a grill asks you out, you should ask for a sub for the game instead of telling the grill that you are very busy right now.

The mentors should not only be teaching the ways of competitive gameplay but also the ways of life; like you should accept a grill's invite to hang out instead of PLAYING AFMASH.

• Like 1

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Calduelran

Role (Player/Mentor/Backup/Backup Mentor): Player

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? Yes, of course!

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) i think its perfect, since its saturday, and every saturday is a free day

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? well, the mentor doing pretty good job, my teammates specially the roamer is pretty good also, he's a fast learner

4. What are the things which could have been done better? well, i have no idea .-.

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup) both of my mentor doing a good job mentoring my team, i learn much things about competitive 6v6, specially the callouts
How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event? (Mentor/Backup Mentor)-

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? both of my team mentors are good players, and also good guy!

7. Any other suggestions/feedback? maybe giving mash potatoes participant badge would be nice :P

• Like 2

I was a backup mentor. Also known as a bum.

But this bum had to fill in for Tommoy's medic slot after the first game and we won everything else so I am a happy camper.

-

The turnout was surprisingly good (too good?), and the number of rounds might have limited the amount of time the teams had to interact.

Newer players may not have had enough time to familiarise themselves with the game mode, ruleset, teammates, mentors, maps etc. so they may just come in and, "Huh? These fellas ah. Okay tell me what to do for four hours." Consider opening up the servers to the teams a day before, to let them get familiar.

In a similar vein, many rounds eventually descend into the mentors doing things and telling the mashers to do things, and they might not know the rationale behind why some things are done. Maybe have both teams be debriefed by all four mentors in a combined session after each map, just to run through how both teams performed and to give out pointers, but of course if time permits. And/Or encourage mentors to ask players what they want to learn, and approach each game trying to work on them.

Edited by nagy
  • Like 4

Team Name(s)/Number(s):

[10] Team Boleh

Mentor

Yes

Too long. Some players couldn't commit for all 5 games. Timing was good though.

Successfully finding substitutes even though ALL the backup players are not free.

Mentors (including me) should tryhard less and actually do the mentor work (actually addressing where mentees done wrong). I feel that I was overwhelmed by the desire to win in a non-serious, casual tournament (my bad on that).

We should have organised demo reviews post-game.

Honestly they can't really improve their dm in 5 games. Hopefully this event can actually expose the basics of 6s to them (positioning, uber advantage, comms, etc).

They were rather silent (rarely even comm at all), our pocket was really new and confused, our roamer is a bit too OP considering his DM skills obviously outclass all the other mentees (dealing 300-400dpm each). 

We should host a newbie mix (to filter players who are actually committing for the game) in a weekly basis, just 1 or 2 map per weekend would suffice. But I feel that most mentors are already exhausted for playing 5 shana pugs today

Edited by jakuzeee
  • Like 4

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Calduelran

Role:Player Scout

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? Well I did learn alot from this :D 
2. What did you think of the event timing? Pretty fine,since I slept til 1 pm :P
3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? The number of teams
4. What are the things which could have been done better? Not quite since I really enjoyed the whole event tho
5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? Finally I know how to play a scout properly.
6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? Calduran is my mentor and he's really friendly,even I've done alot of stupiud mistakes,he never flare up but tell us what should we do in a very polite way.

• Like 1

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Team MGE

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? - Yes

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) - It's fine

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? - Pretty much everything except team rosters 

4. What are the things which could have been done better? - Don't stack about 4 very experienced players in a single team

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup) - A whole lot. Like, a lot.

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? - 11/10 best senpais

7. Any other suggestions/feedback? - Please don't stack very experienced players in a team (LOOKING AT TEAM TOMMOY)

• Like 1

Team Name: Boleh Team Number: 10

Role: Player

1. It was ^_^ They taught me how to play a pocket though I still can't protect my med :/

2. I think it had good timing and it fit in with my schedule though something unexpected came up where I had to help my granddad and then after that my computer crashed :/

3. Everything!!!

4. Can't really think of anything :P

4. I feel like I've improved a bit from being a total yolo soldier to a slightly conservatively playing soldier.

5. I think they can't really improve any more than their skill level xD It's just us newbies that were dragging them down.

6. I feel like we worked together quite well though sometimes it's a little hard to hear over my game volume :/

7. Not really any other feedback. Though you should only make this for newbies. This is supposed to be a mentoring programme but there are people who play Highlander and 6s coming in here and they don't really need to be mentored.

Thanks for your time spent reading this post :D Hope this kinda helps. This event was great fun and I hope to participate again! And the team placement was kinda bad for Team MGE... That was really kinda sad since you got 4 experienced players on one team and they already know each other so their teamwork is kinda impeccable and they all play HL and stuff...... anyways I've talked/typed too much. Bye

• Like 2

Team Name(s)/Number(s):Fwishlessdoge

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? Yes

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) Too late

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? Sufficient number of teams

4. What are the things which could have been done better? IDK

They have learned how to work more as a team

My players were amazing except for this one clown 

• Like 1

Team Name: Team 5 Fwishless Doge

Role: Mentor

It was a positive experience in some ways, but I had to deal with a huge amount of clowns.

2. What did you think of the event timing?

I think the timing for the start of the event was good. However, I think that playing round robin with that many teams is exhausting and from my experience, the mentees on my team started to lose interest in learning after 3 maps.

I think the mentors did a good job in mentoring the players. Players that I've talked to said that they both learnt alot from their mentors and said that they enjoyed their experience during mash.

Reducing the duration.

5.How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event?
I think they've learnt the callouts for the standard maps. Before mash, the had no clue about the locations on any of the maps.

6. How do you feel about the players who were assigned to your team?

I feel that they were an amazing bunch of people to play with. With the exception of being very quiet, they were enthusiastic about learning.

Already mentioned.

Edited by fwishyy
  • Like 3

Team Name(s)/Number(s):

Team FFS (we're alive)

Player, roamer

Very. I had always been afraid to step into competitive even though I wanted to. This was the perfect platform and I'm very sure it would be the same for many others too.

The estimation was a little off. I had another thing to do at 6pm, and we were only at our second last map. Had to call in the sub for me. That was something that could be worked on.

Mentors. I do not know about the other teams, but the mentors were very happy to make sure this mash was a fun experience. Again, I only speak for my team as I do not know the others.

a. The rosters weren't very well balanced. Seriously what's up with xiao? They stomped every match.

b. Mentors imo should not play demoman. That class can easily deny everything and with mentees with a much lower skill level than the mentors, it was almost impossible to do anything. I think that was why xiao stomped every match in fact.

c. The same also goes for pocket to some extent. In fact xiao had mentors playing the 2 most important classes (not including med). Which I also think was why xiao stomped every match.

(yes i am salty stfu)

I have improved a lot.

I can not say for my teammates.

Fantastic. Love them.

Make a briefing of some sorts before the actual matches. The mash starts at 2:30 but I'm very sure for everyone it started much earlier because the mentors were briefing the mentees about callouts, basic uber ad/disads, rollouts etc. The next mash could see the briefing actually included into the schedule, so every player knows what's going on and what to do instead of trying to adapt to everything after the matches start.

It was a good event! I enjoyed every single moment I could spend on it. Hopefully more people are comfortable with comp now just as I am. Here's to next year!

• Like 3

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Xiao Team

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) Perfect

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? Team names

4. What are the things which could have been done better? Matches with more teams and make the event over a course of 2 days or sth

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup) Helped me clear any doubts I had

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? Clovis very noisy. Generally everyone else was pretty friendly :)

7. Any other suggestions/feedback? Moar pls

Edited by bunnyybeast
  • Like 2

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Team FFS

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) Just nice

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? Good organizing and sorting of teams by the admin team to allow for balanced matches and not 5-0 rolls for the most part. Generally event was run pretty smoothly. Sufficient time to allow all matches to be played. 

4. What are the things which could have been done better? Exercise some judgement when selecting people to be mentors. Some mentors shouldn't be mentors and should be mentees instead. :) 

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup) I'm the best, no improvement can be made #peakofhisclass
    How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event? (Mentor/Backup Mentor). I hope we were not too critical of our mentees, though sometimes emotions tend to get the better of us. 

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? The players tried their best and did well for newbies but they have a lot of room for improvement, so they should keep playing more.

7. Any other suggestions/feedback? One event alone is definitely not enough to familiarize players with the basics of 6v6 competitive play and establishing a player base. Should have more mini events such as this one in future. (Asiafortress Academy)

• Like 3

Team Name(s)/Number(s):
Team 9, Team Nose

Mentor

Overall, quite a positive experience.

It took way too long to get matches started, although that is a problem on the teams' part.

Managers were active and constantly engaged, never lazing around. Substitutes were acquired within 5 minutes of request. It felt extremely organized and seamless, creating a conducive atmosphere for both fun and learning. There was also a certain amount of excitement that I associated with an orientation camp at school that set us in the mood to enjoy the event more. (Publicity really matters).

Just playing 3 maps, I was beginning to feel extremely exhausted. My team was only spared the full extent of stress because another team had to forfeit due to lack of players. We were given an opportunity to take a break and spectate other people's matches, where Gothmog and I were allowed to review plays properly with our players. It says something about us taking a break and actually able to properly mentor our players away from the heat of the game.

They learned just enough from AFMash as they could. Our players are already consistent DM wise, and mostly we talked to them about the basics of TF2: Uber Advantage, Player Advantage, etc. I feel that by the end, we actually built chemistry that allowed us to coordinate properly and work more cohesively as a team.

I'm very proud and happy of my mentees. More important than the fact that they had basic DM, they also listened to the mentors, were active in mumble and had initiative to do things they had just learned. I'm especially impressed with Parewine, who after being told that she overextended too much in one map, died the least the next map.

Gothmog has a humongous nose.

• Like 3

Team Name(s)/Number(s): 

Team 5 Fwishless Doge

Player

Quite nice, had nice mentors :3. Even though we didn't win, there were moments which helped gel our teamwork together, which is the whole point of the game.

Too long. 5 maps is pretty tiring, even for the mentors. What more is there to say for the students?

Pairing 2 mentors to each team is quite effective as it does not feel as though the mentors are carrying the team, nor does it reduce the full competitive experience for the players.

- Perhaps play less maps, or cover maps in multiple sessions instead of all in 1 day.

- 3 mentors might be better so that the mentor to student ratio is more balanced, and might be better in teaching

- Having the event spread out helps to even out the learning curve, instead of ramming all the gamesense required in 3 hours

I have improved a lot in terms of understanding how the game flows. 

Legend and fwishy best mentors ever <3. Couldn't have asked for anyone better. Also mentors were still quite tolerant given the nonsense they had to go through. Thanks guys.

Nice to see such events, and the usage of Mumble really helped to immerse the players into the competitive meta. 

Some teams were CLEARLY STACKED, and using RNG to make teams is NEVER a good idea. 

Edited by karu
  • Like 1

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Team MGE

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) Timing was alright

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? Handling of the matches and switching of servers.

4. What are the things which could have been done better? Team balancing :x

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup)  learned some good tips on what med should do and learning some of the rollouts as well as healing procedure.

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? tolerated the shenanigans that we did on granary and we very constructive :)

7. Any other suggestions/feedback? more of such events and also that post event youtube vid in mumble ;) more of those too

• Like 2

Team Name(s)/Number(s):  Team Weeaboo (2 of Group A)

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? Yeap 

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) I think for 5 games 2:30 is an alright timing, however any delays would probably result in backups almost always being needed since dinner for certain players could be an issue, so perhaps making it earlier or spreading it over 2 days would be better

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? Prior information to the event is sufficiently detailed, teams were evenly balanced for the most part as well

4. What are the things which could have been done better? Not much other than maybe time issues stated in 2.

How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event? (Mentor/Backup Mentor)  I can say for sure the technicalities such as rollouts and terms used for places are a definite improvement, teamplay wise not as much but that comes with practice :D

Me (bio) and slayer were pretty much very chill and trying to help for the most part, but I have to admit to raising my voice at certain players for reasons such as not listening to repeated comms, mentees overzealous shouting at one another etc. Hope these were faults that needed more to be addressed

My mentees albeit their problems were pretty spirited and most of them researched 6s beforehand so props to them, they also were willing to listen which I am happy about, regardless of whether they implemented them or not.

A certain amount of hours should be implemented. This is because if we let players with eg. 100 hours participate they probably need to learn more about tf2 itself rather than 6s first. Any additonal mentoring needed for this would probably stifle or delay the matches as well, as what I personally experienced. 

Lastly thanks to the admin team for organizing this , really great job out there :D

• Like 3

Team Name(s)/Number(s): boleh

Role (Player/Mentor/Backup/Backup Mentor): mentor

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? it was pretty fun, and it's a good event to get the gist of how 6s work.

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) it was okay for my team, although we made the first team wait a little too long for us.

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? the organizing and getting subs

4. What are the things which could have been done better? maybe mixing up the teams to be more balanced, filter out players that already know how to play 6s (unless the teams need subs, i guess)

How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event? (Mentor/Backup Mentor) i'm not sure if the players learned much at all because our team was a little too strong and the matches ended too quick to learn properly. (or maybe they learned too well) 

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? they were good.

[edited to copy b8]

jaku: great, enthusiastic mentor! no throw! gj
kuma: great, helpful sub/mentor! gj
nogamesense: already knows how to play, but still supportive and giving out calls! gj
cookbook: no mic, but decent dm and listens to calls! gj
TnP Khronus: new to the game, but eager to learn and accepts criticism gracefully! gj 
waifu: communicates well! decent dm! attentive! gj

Edited by hedwig
  • Like 1

Team NOSE [Player]

- Yes. I used to be scared of comp stuffs a lot so I have never played pug or lobby before. (Blame Disastre! who always complained about pugs he has played) After the event, I have more confidence.

- Some rounds were late.

- Team Name, Server, Mumble, Organization, and especailly assigned mentors. They are the best.

- I would say team balancing and there were too many maps.

- I have learnt so many things that can't be found in pubs; (When I play scout, I always die to a sentry.) Callouts, positioning, dm, what to do, where to hold, etc. Shout out to Flippy.

- vetia and Gothmog, you guys are absolutely amazing. (and hilarious.) Thank you so much for tolerating me who often died in a stupid ways. I hope I successfully followed your instruction as the event progressed. Also, it was so much fun playing with these teammates. Thank you, guys!

- Team Meme chat could crash hl2, gib participant bagde plox.

• Like 4

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Team Xiao/ Number 1

Role (Player/Mentor/Backup/Backup Mentor): Player (Scout)

- Absolutely, yes. It’s just so hard to find such a newbie-friendly private learning experience from TF2 veterans out in the pub or pug wilderness.
- I would say a little bit too long regardless of the late matches. It’s exhausting to go through 5 matches without a break.
- The idea of bringing newbie into the comp scene and successfully organizing a friendly and educational environment.
- Security (password) could’ve been tighter. Some random people slipped in and caused delay.

- Team stacking and getting steam rolled aren’t enjoyable. I’m not sure if there’s an effective solution to this but at least the obviously more experienced players should be separated after randomizing the team rosters.
- A lot. This level of comms and team organization are new to me.
- Bait and Cloverella were awesome mentors. They teach patiently, understandably and humorously (airshawt sheettttttttttt :^) ) They were one of the main reasons that this event was so much fun to me. Thank you guys.

- Please do events like this more often. This is a blessing for new players who are interested in comp.

• Like 1

Team Name(s)/Number(s): Xiao

Yarr

Could probably be split into two days. People were not really paying attention after third map. Plus gives more time to teach other stuff. Like how to change fov_desired to 90. Which we failed to do for some reason.

Good organization, both before and during the event.

Disincentivize tryharding. Maybe it's time to remove stats!?!? Or remove stats for mentors only. Or something idk.

5. How much do you feel the newcomers in your team have improved during the event? (Mentor/Backup Mentor)

They now know that a "scout short" doesn't mean a scout of small stature.

Became better at not dying for no reasons. Hopefully also learnt a bit about advantages/ubers.

Clovis - good co-mentor. GJ!

Bunnybeast - was paying attention to what was going on and responding well. GJ!

Disastre - was interactive/asked questions. Performed well too. GJ!

Phrostzness - Pls change to fov_desired 90. Seemed new to competitive maps but learnt them quickly. GJ!

MLGineer - Pls change to fov_desired 90. Played well despite lag/ping and possible language(?) issues. GJ!

Went really smoothly. Was better than last Mash. GJ!

• Like 3

Team Name(s)/Number(s):

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? YUSH

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) It was too long, I had a headache by the start of the 3rd map :(

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? Team names...

4. What are the things which could have been done better? The schedule, we started our 1st game at 3:00 and eneded at 7:00 :o

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup) I feel lkike my dm improved a lot and so has my gamesense.

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? Kool people

7. Any other suggestions/feedback? Playing for 3 hours straight as a newbie is very exhausting, and at times the fun gets lost with the exhaustion, maybe shorten the event a little bit

• Like 1

Team Name(s)/Number(s):Xiao Team

Role (Player/Mentor/Backup/Backup Mentor):Player

1. Was the event overall a positive experience for you? Yes its a totally positive experience for me.

2. What did you think of the event timing? (Too early/too late/too long?) I think can put in rest time.

3. In what areas do you think we did right for the event? All

4. What are the things which could have been done better? None

5. How much do you feel like you've improved after playing in the event? (Player/Backup) I know some callouts unlike before i dont know any.

6. How do you feel about the mentors/players who were assigned to your team? They are friendly and have patience

7. Any other suggestions/feedback? Nope

Edited by PhrostZnesS^
  • Like 1