welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
iridescentFUZZ

PuG server poll: Player whitelists

PuG server whitelists  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want whitelists on any servers?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you are in favour of player whitelists, how many PuG servers would you want using the whitelist?

• 1-2
    • 3-4

With the problem of an increasing number of alt accounts entering the community to circumvent bans or simply screw around, a server whitelist is proposed to be set in place.

Servers 0-3 will enforce a player whitelist implemented via a steam group. What this means is if you want to enter a server with a whitelist, you will need to create a forum account and post in a topic asking for an invite to the steam group. You will also need to have a public steam profile.

The issue at hand is this; how many of you are aware of the existence of alternate accounts in games, and how many have had games ruined by said alternate accounts; more importantly, how many of you would like to see at least one or two servers with a player whitelist so you can go in and be assured of even some level of coherent play without anonymous alternate accounts? Continuing from that issue, how many whitelisted servers would be appropriate, in your opinion?

Well, I think it makes sense because some people get smurf accounts to replace the ones they've been banned on for trolling etc. It also makes it easier for the medics to pick, because like this the medics know the skill level of each player so we can make rational decisions (Q1 of the H2 Economics 2013 A Level paper, boys and girls!) for a balanced game. I think one server is enough because there's rarely more than one PUG going on at any one time anyway.

As it would not have been appropriate to post my views with the first post, as that could influence voting, I shall do so now.

I feel that having servers 0-2 whitelisted and 3-4 non-whitelisted will provide the perfect balance for any combination of available players. For example, a combination of 8 group members and 4 not-yet-invited players available will allow them to PuG as a group if the only non-whitelisted server is occupied.