This is asiafortress

welcome

Ready to LAN?

Upcoming
  • asiafortress cup 14
Se7en

AFA4EVER

Kudos to AFA for recruiting a sizeable number of players to the pugging scene.

So the basics and whatnot has been taught. Basically the 411 for starting pug and playing has been passed on.

But it is high time that these players progress and move on to the real thing. Instead of all this mollycoddling that the mentors have constantly been dishing out.

Most of the people here started by just simply, putting themselves into shit, just going through the ring of fire. Learning themselves through online resources and actually discussing with the more experienced players.

The AFA has done its part by bringing them in with a milk bottle. It's time the boys move on to the real thing.

SOLUTION: stop all this low-level pug shit, conduct AFA perhaps once every quarterly. If AFA graduates can't stand the shit they're gonna be put through in the more competitive gameplay then stick to pl4ever,cp4ever.

I think it took me more than 20 pugs to get the hang of pugging and not end up as a missing player on the team. It's not easy to learn how to carry out your role properly.

i think that's a very horrid thing to say

it hasn't even been a week since the launch of the AFA, if one mentoring session and 5 AFA pugs are enough to get any previously-public players into higher-levelled competitive tf2, then it defeats the whole purpose of getting an AFA server, or starting this at all. the idea of AFA was not just to bring people into comp tf2, it was to nurture and mentor newbies in the ways of comp tf2 and providing them with the opportunities to practice.

true there are plenty of shitters playing in the normal-levelled pugs but throw these AFA participants into a pug with 8-10 other people who have countless more experience; sorry to say, but its the hard truth: they'll probably get torn apart by the puggers, and knowing our community, they will get flamed alot.

AFA was a success, you're right, it brought a whole new wave of new, interested, fresh, enthusiastic puggers who even bother getting into mumble just for a better and more productive pug session as compared to the normal puggers (us) who take forever to pick, forever to roll, forever to choose classes, and the standard is still subpar. there is absolutely no sort of commuication between the normal puggers and it's mainly just DM, DM, DM, whereas the newbs are actually talking to one another. i don't know if this is somethin to be ashamed of.

this ain't merely just some (i quote) "low-level pug shit". i've seen and personally taught some of these guys during the past week and i've to say, some of their learning attitudes reign far superior to those in the normal pug scene. true, their DM might not be up to scratch, their game sense might not be there, but at least they're getting the basics right from the very beginning.

you mentioned that most of the people here started by putting themselves into shit, going thru the ring of fire. look how that turned out. we have people who don't know how 6v6 actually works, and how to play an actual team game instead of an all-out MGE-sausagefest in scrims. it's painful to watch.

if only the AFA participants were willing to form teams within themselves and start picking up scrimming, i'm willin to bet, with the same level of dedication, enthusiasm and determination they're showin in these "low-level pug shit", within a month they'll be able to beat some of the teams now convincingly.

no offense

I don't get why you're so upset about AFA. If you don't care for it, ignore it and continue playing in the normal PUG server. Many of the players recruited to the pugging scene still have a long way to go before they're ready to move up, and going straight up to the normal pug servers would no doubt shoo most of them with all the xenophobic behavior that the Asian comp scene is well known for.

As for mentors "mollycoddling", I hardly see that. In fact, it's quite the opposite, with all these comp players coming in under different aliases attempting to play and roll the new players. Then you have the idiots who constantly demand to medic and say that they will "mentor", but very obviously do nothing to improve the team game. (and when these same people are asked to allow new medics to play instead, they complain and question, insisting they should be allowed to play. Fucking ridiculous.)

What I'm seeing is many members of the comp. scene stubbornly fucking up AFA PUGs by making everyone wait for them to roll, because they are insistent on playing medic (oh look i'm "offclassing"), then raging and refusing to spec after they've been told they should let newer medics learn. (If you truly want to mentor a team, just go to their mumble channel and teach them from there during the match.)

tl;dr fucking mia

I don't get why you're so upset about AFA. If you don't care for it' date=' ignore it and continue playing in the normal PUG server. Many of the players recruited to the pugging scene still have a long way to go before they're ready to move up, and going straight up to the normal pug servers would no doubt shoo most of them with all the xenophobic behavior that the Asian comp scene is well known for.

As for mentors "mollycoddling", I hardly see that. In fact, it's quite the opposite, with all these comp players coming in under different aliases attempting to play and roll the new players. Then you have the idiots who constantly demand to medic and say that they will "mentor", but very obviously do nothing to improve the team game. (and when these same people are asked to allow new medics to play instead, they complain and question, insisting they should be allowed to play. Fucking ridiculous.)

What I'm seeing is many members of the comp. scene stubbornly fucking up AFA PUGs by making everyone wait for them to roll, because they are insistent on playing medic (oh look i'm "offclassing"), then raging and refusing to spec after they've been told they should let newer medics learn. (If you truly want to mentor a team, just go to their mumble channel and teach them from there during the match.)

tl;dr fucking mia

[/quote']

hey dood don't put all the blame on mia, just the ones who did it

OT: i went through the "rings of flames" and now I'm a W+M1 scout. I wish that there was some kind of AFA-ish thingy back when i started.

I don't get why you're so upset about AFA. If you don't care for it' date=' ignore it and continue playing in the normal PUG server. Many of the players recruited to the pugging scene still have a long way to go before they're ready to move up, and going straight up to the normal pug servers would no doubt shoo most of them with all the xenophobic behavior that the Asian comp scene is well known for.

tl;dr fucking mia

[/quote']

hey dood don't put all the blame on mia, just the ones who did it

OT: i went through the "rings of flames" and now I'm a W+M1 scout. I wish that there was some kind of AFA-ish thingy back when i started.

That was just a generalization, I know it isn't all of mia

:oni: <-- this is a bun

Didn't know this discussion would turn so heated. From the way i look at things, they're not progressing. they're still too afraid of many other things, in which they should be, and it's a good wakeup call. you've got retards wondering

"WHY CAN'T THEY LET ME DOWNLOAD GULLYWASH FROM THE SERVER?"

"WHY MUST I DOWNLOAD IT FROM SOME REGULAR WEBSITE?"

"WHY? WHY? WHY?"

don't ask, find out why.

Before this goes on forever, i'd like to say that i'm glad new blood's coming in. But this said, they can't be sticking in their own bubble forever. it's not gonna work. babying them through and through is only gonna make it worse. it's not productive.

Sounds to me more like your problem is with the individuals who aren't self-dependent, but then that's taking issue with their personalities (remember that a lot of AFA players are pre-teen kids). Not everyone in AFA is like that, plenty have the drive to find things out by themselves. And sooner or later, it will be the same people who have the desire to improve to go up to normal PUGs, maybe with the prodding of a more experienced player.

Right now, AFA is still very much valid as it lets the newbies acclimatise to the competitive environment, as they will definitely be very much out of place at normal PUG servers.

i doubt it would have been so heated if you hadn't suggested taking this concept of AFA and, i quote from someone, "throwing it into the lion's den".

maybe for a change, we get to see players who actually know how to play in a team, as a team a month or two from now. these players might just very well be players who actually turn out being good at the game and dominating the scene, because they learnt the basics from the very beginning.

from the way you look at things, these AFA participants ain't progressing. from the way i look at things, these AFA participants might just very well be progressing at a much more rapid rate than some of the normal puggers.

i personally wouldn't address these players as "retards" as you have. if i had to bestow the title "retards" onto some people, i would, on certain normal puggers who lurk around the PUG servers, DMing their lives away and not improving at all from the very beginning. this can be attributed to the lack of basic-foundation building. "frags = win" <- /vomit

as with you, i'm glad new blood's coming in as well. we're not allowing them to stick in their own bubble forever. when the time comes and they have grown out of the AFA standards, they will be asked to move on to the normal pug servers. till then, let them improve and develop in the AFA servers. it isn't exactly babying them through, when they're playing with players around their standards, is it? at least they get some sort of competition, to put it bluntly.

putting them thru AFA isn't gonna make it worse, it isn't gonna be unproductive, this will pay off ultimately.

still, no offense

Yes.

OK so lets say it does stagnate. But the thing is the stagnation will only apply to a few. And these few may stagnate in a lower level of play. But thats okay, because the AFA will churn out more productive and teamplay minded people who are willing to take it a step higher than normal pug ever will.

So what i mean is that, Sure there will be some who stagnates. But there will be also be many who move up. Of course we do not know yet. Nonetheless, 1 week is too short a time to judge. Lets give it time before jumping the gun.

i kinda understand 7's point and bran's point.

There are definitely players who are willing to train hard and stuff (and i'm very happy to see that) but also,

i've come across individuals who like to be spoon fed all the time. Simple stuffs like setting up their own mumble channel when the AFA channel was gone had to be set up by me when they knew how to make the channel themselves, reason being: Troublesome.

I remember back then when everyone had to learn it the hard way to get themselves in the pugging scene and then finding for teams. We get raged at, ostracized, so on and so forth compared to the current situation where there are mentors to help you but guys, no matter how much they are willing to help you, there is a limit on being dependable on your mentors (to say it straight, do not take advantage of them).

i'm all for afa and for mentors like nmy to keep that spirit up in the servers but please, to all, do respect the mentors.

Both nmy, combat and 7 are right, so stop fighting guys.

Ltoro, if combat witnesses something that isn't right, I think you should allow him to speak up. :3.

If what combat said is true, MiA do take note of your actions and follow the rules please. The admins will not hesitate to take action if you are found breaking the rules again.

you cant blame AFA puggers for sticking to AFA for a longer time than they should (even though it opened just a week ago) most of those in the AFA scene are still learning the basics, like proper teamwork and how to rollout, mid-fight, and others properly. after all, practice makes perfect, dosent it?

if you force those that have played about one or two games of AFA pug into the normal pug scene, you know as well as i do that they WILL. 1.get flamed. 2.get trolled. 3.(might)get kicked. 4.generally disliked. i seen most of the normal puggers choose from name. they dont give other puggers a chance. if you played one game really badly and people rmbr your name, you can be sure you wont be chosen first, list or no.

im just a 14 year old guy playing medic for AFA pugs and learning when to and when not to push, and communicating well with my team. it dosent help for proer people who come in with fake names, then get into the scene and say their mentoring, but do nothing. then complain and whine when they are told to let the newer medics play.

its not easy, and im just facing people from my level. if i were thrown into normal pugs, i would get killed so easily i wont ever come back to the scene. so give them a little time alright? let them practice. i know that AFA pug servers are mostly overloaded when a pug comes on, and those who are either late or not so well known usually have to wait out a round.

im not saying that these people can stick around to AFA pugs forever, but just let them play, and learn team gaming. from what i see during normal pugs, its mostly 1 man for themselves, and wiping out the enemy team is usually the goal. now, i know some puggers are good, they help the newer ones, but others are just plain mean.

some time later, im sure, maybe a year or 2, those in the AFA pugs will come. they will come to bite those playing normal pugs in the ass, and they better be prepared for it.

right. so glad that this pain in my arse is actually turning into a healthy debate. we'll see how this AFA turns out. i do hope to see really more AFA graduates proceeding to forming teams and competing on a different level.