A Guide To Asiafortress Academy
It's that time of the year again! You've been seeing all these cool things you've heard about 6v6 competitive TF2 and you think you're ready for it but you don't like the trial by fire method and instead prefer a nice cozy little academy server to help ease the transition? You've also recently seen these AFA games popping up on your friend's server info but have no idea how to get in. WELL, LOOK NO FURTHER.
Ok, now that it's over, I'm Mameshiba and this guide is made regarding the new Asiafortress Academy (AFA, for short) servers that has been almost constantly filled with people every night!
Now, there are alot of questions being asked regarding the Asiafortress Academy and hopefully this guide will be able to help you with your queries.
Table of content:
67. Setting up Mumble.
68. Joining an AFA server
69. What now?
Well, first, head on to this thread and register yourself according to the template given in the first page. Pretty self-explanatory I guess, and then wait for Natapon to update the whitelist to allow you to enter. It might take some time before the whitelist is updated, so, whilst waiting, you can finish reading the guide first!
67. Setting up Mumble
Ok, this is the most important step in joining an AFA server, that's why I've decided to put this at the top of the list. This is because one of the requirements to join AFA is to join the mumble channel beforehand. Although this is the most important, this is also the most easiest for me to explain.
First, install Mumble: (http://mumble.sourceforge.net/) and follow the instructions to setting up your microphone. At the top left, click "Server", "Connect" and then "Add New.." ;
You'll see something like this:
(Click picture to enlarge, you noob)
If the picture isn't clear enough, here are the details -
Label: Asiafortress Academy (Anything that you want to identify this mumble channel by)
Username: Your Nickname (Preferably your IGN for the admin's convenience)
Server IP: 22.214.171.124
Now click OK, and then Connect! Now that you can see some of the channels, just join the one that says SPEC for now.
68. Joining an AFA server
Ok. Now that you're in the Mumble channel, ask around on how to get into the server. Some will be more than willing to help you in.
69. What Now?
Alright, you're in the server now, what do you do? Well, just like a normal pickup game, when both sides reach 6 players on each team, players will race to spectator and the two last person will have to play medic. However due to the nature of AFA, experienced players who volunteered to help out and mentor will play medic to teach the new players. Once everything's sorted out, players can ready their team up! Also, hopefully you've read this guide beforehand.
Also to make myself clear:
IF YOU'RE NOT IN MUMBLE, YOU'RE NOT PLAYING.
This section is reserved for questions that are asked throughout this thread and compiled here for convenience. I'll start with a few common ones.
1) How do I get in?
Read Section 66!
2) Can I play?
That depends on who you are. Are you experienced? (Umm, I'll judge that with a case by case basis. Ask me or the admins.)
3) I wanna help out too! How? - Anonymous Experienced Player
Simple, hop on to the Mumble channel, register yourself and volunteer to mentor the players! You can either play Medic and guide the team or if there's enough, just sit back and guide them through mumble from their POVs.
4) Wow, this is really cool, can I invite my friend?
Yes! But first! He MUST have mumble set up and know the rules. Or, he'll get banned. Someone already had a taste of that for ruining an AFA pug.
For questions, just post them here or if you want to stay anonymous just add me up on Steam and I'll be glad to help you with your questions!
5) Oh my, I wouldn't want to be banned. What are the rules?
As of AFC6, the rules as well as settings are such:
- When a minimum of 12 players join the server, i.e. 6 on each team, a countdown will commence and the last 2 players to join Spectator will have to be Medic Captains; this means they will pick team members and more importantly, it also means they will play Medic for the duration of the PUG. Both Medics will then have an ubersaw fight at the midpoint, to see who gets to choose players first.
- At this point, a list of players who didn’t play the previous map will be produced. It is mandatory for the Captains to pick players from this list first. After players on the list have all been picked, Captains are free to pick anyone else in Spectator.
- As of the new plugin, players can !volunteer as a medic captain if someone new fell into the captain spot and is reluctant about it.
- Players are not allowed to play spy, sniper, pyro, heavy and engineer if the team disagrees. To be sure, just ask your team if they’re fine with you playing those classes.
- If you need to leave mid-game, please type !sub before leaving and wait until someone has replaced you before you leave or you might face some dissent and disappointment from the players.
- Any form of racism, excessive trolling and flaming and abuse of chat is strictly not allowed.
Don't forget to download the full list of competitive maps here (note: tr_walkway isn't a competitive map, it's training map) as well as join the AFA Steam Group for announcements and so forth!
Good luck and have fun!
Here's more for you to read:
Bowts guide to getting good
Yukis guide to the TF2 mental game
4/6/2012 - Added a section with information regarding the registration as well as whitelist.
8/10/2012 - Updated for AFA3.